NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-11-2017, 05:00 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Peter, I'm going to concede the argument because really I don't care. I think it was dishonest and unethical and I hope the buyers involved all receive restitution. At least the matter was brought to everyone's attention and people know about it. But really, to me, it's not worth discussing anymore. I have much better things to do on a Friday evening. Have a great night
Old 08-11-2017, 05:17 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Peter, I'm going to concede the argument because really I don't care. I think it was dishonest and unethical and I hope the buyers involved all receive restitution. At least the matter was brought to everyone's attention and people know about it. But really, to me, it's not worth discussing anymore. I have much better things to do on a Friday evening. Have a great night
You too, David.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:45 PM
Mark Medlin

Quote:
Ok, here you go. Keith told me I should switch to decaf. I tried that years ago, but I just didn't like it. Anyway his suggestion reminded me of what I'm about to tell you.
There is a convenience store by my house called Timewise (it's a chain store in South Texas). They serve a brand of coffee called Roasted Bean Coffee Company. I really like this particular coffee. A few weeks ago, I stopped in one morning as I do every weekday morning, and got a cup of coffee. While I was waiting in line I took a sip and something was different. When I got up to the register I asked the cashier about it. She said that they ran out of the Roasted Bean Coffee Company coffee and were using another brand (Folgers, I think) until they got theirs back in stock. But wait. All the signage said Roasted Bean Coffee Company. Even the coffed cup itself said Roasted Bean Coffee Company. They didn't indicate that the product was not what it was advertised to be, I had to ask.

So, in response to Keith's statement "Representing something as an item that is one thing with the intention to deceive for financial gain is fraud and illegal - period." I have to ask, since Timewise represented Folgers coffee as Roasted Bean Coffee Company coffee for financial gain, is it fraud and illegal as he clearly states? Please tell me where I can report such illegal activity.

I definitely understand the argument being made, and have no legal background, but I do see a major difference in your analogy. You asked prior to consummating the transaction and could have changed your mind. This opportunity to rescind was not present in the frankencard deal.

Mark
Old 08-11-2017, 06:10 PM
JEFF VER.RIER

I rarely post but this discussions worthy of weighing in.

Can people modify items produced by companies with little fear of criminal or civil action brought against them ? Of course. Its done all the time.

Can you take a product that has copyrights ( which EVERY Topps produced item does- check the USPTO website) and modify it ??? YES you may. Its done all the time .

Can you take the product you modify and then go online and either misrepresent that product as being "original", or try and sell it without disclosure of said modifications ?

Um- no.

Depending on the level of deceit we may be talking a tort ( a "civil" action) where values are relatively low and usually get assigned to small claims, or in the case of folks like John Rogers/Doug Allen/Bill Mastro actions worthy of criminal prosecution.

Depending on the length, level, and severity of this persons actions he's looking at either time in small claims should he not make restitution and people care to come after him-- or if he's been stupid enough to take it up a few levels and bring the average transaction above 2500 - he's going to see someone take him to criminal court.

As far as this guys being ashamed- dude shut up. Your a serial liar, a serial fraudster, and need to stop with the excuse offerings. Your not convincing anyone of your innocence. Once or twice- OK. Multiple times over extended years ? Sorry - that's a pattern of behavior that's not likely just happening in baseball cards.

Its doubtful anyone will forgive and very doubtful they'll forget anytime soon.

Best thing Leon can do is make sure your info is properly disseminated to afflicted parties.

My opinion--

Jeff
Old 08-11-2017, 08:50 PM
Archive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao_Moko View Post

I purchased a Ganley with the Piedmont350 back from an AH(not Larry). I'm sure an oversight by Topps and not a "tough" brand, but is a card with a very small population.
Same scenario as you Eric with two Buybacks that I've purchased. Neither came from Larry H. and I bought them mainly because of the player/back combination than solely collecting them.

The two that I purchased were Karger & Ewing with Piedmont 350 backs, so I think you are safe with the Ganley.

Jantz

Last edited by Jantz; 08-11-2017 at 08:51 PM. Reason: adjusted post
Old 08-11-2017, 11:22 PM
Scott ku.rtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
David, arguably the difference in your example is that the misrepresented fact was not material to the buyer. But if it was material -- for example let's say they advertised some super premium expensive brand of coffee but instead without telling you substituted some cheap generic junk and you paid the premium prce -- then yeah that would be fraud too. Here, Larry represented his cards were something they were not, and for whatever reason, that made people willing to pay more for them than had he told the truth. Knowing misrepresentation of a material fact. Fraud.
Doesnt this happen a lot of time in the fish industry? From fishermen to middle men to restaurants, often time you are not eating the premium fish you ordered, and if the chain of custody can be traced, people pay big fines, but it's almost impossible in that industry to go step by step.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:32 AM

This is just pure and simple fraud and this scum should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. This type of act is what undermines people confidence in the hobby and i dont care if he apologized with simple fact he ripped people off.

Last edited by esd10; 08-12-2017 at 06:39 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:39 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tab View Post
So chances are the buyback that I have is probably not a topps buyback. Only reason I bought it was to have something a little different to go along with my back run.

This guy is a piece of crap! I never seen the old thread from 2009 until now. He stated that he didn't need the money and had 2 complete t206 sets. Wonder how many he made over all those years? Is there any way to tell which are legit topps buyback?

Wonder what topps would think of this?

They'd sue for the profits realized of course.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 08-12-2017, 08:00 AM
Eric Pugh

Default Question

Sorry if I missed it, but where exactly were the new Topps "holders" obtained from?
Old 08-12-2017, 08:02 AM
Eric Pugh

Default Also

One more thing, obviously this guy messed up big-time. I would be much more forgiving and understanding if he would truly apologize and also provide an explanation of the scope of all that was involved so we would have some sort of idea if this was nothing to worry about or a massive volume.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esd10 View Post
This is just pure and simple fraud and this scum should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. This type of act is what undermines people confidence in the hobby and i dont care if he apologized with simple fact he ripped people off.
The law is more concerned with ISIS using EBay to send money than some random guy scamming people out of a few dollars on t206s.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:57 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
The law is more concerned with ISIS using EBay to send money than some random guy scamming people out of a few dollars on t206s.
He has totally undermined the entire set though. If someone was building the set, they now have to realize their entire set is based on a lie.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:32 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

What a disgrace, this guy low. I guess could see a crook trying to rob a bank to score a million bucks, but to destroy a set of cards, to tarnish many peoples collections for a few dollars each card sold..... shameful. Im not a t206 collector, but forgive & forget? Thats not in my vocabulary
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:27 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
He has totally undermined the entire set though. If someone was building the set, they now have to realize their entire set is based on a lie.
I'm not sure that I see a difference between Topps putting legit T206 cards in their generic frame and someone else putting legit T206 cards in the same generic frame.

By generic I mean no identifier as to what's in it.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:13 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
So nobody else was impressed by his miraculous comeback from terminal cancer in 2009???
yes another guy that needs to sell cards for medication or is getting out of the hobby or doesnt need the money....again, i have posted a number of times about who cares for the reasons that someone claims to sell a card for and its only your fault as a buyer if that caused you to buy an item.

As for the issue of not making much on a fraud and why would someone do that. People like to get the 'one over' on people. Makes them feel smart and they enjoy the challenge. Its not aways about money

However he probably sold cards to pay his gas money to and from AA and then to ABC..
Old 08-13-2017, 08:10 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I can't believe any collector is defending this guy or his activities. This group pillories auctioneers for charging a few extra dollars for shipping and has vicious wishes for anyone who soaks a card to improve its appearance but has to debate this turd's activities???? This is fraud, as clear as it gets. By Larry's own admission he did it several dozen times, took a cheap T206 and a cheap Topps holder, put them together, listed them for sale on eBay as part of the Topps T206 buy-back issue, and made a profit by misleading bidders about what they were getting. Collectors value the Topps promotion more than the raw cards: the fact that buyers paid a premium over the value of a crappy T206 to get these Frankenstein items, proves it. I don't see any gray area here.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-13-2017 at 08:11 AM.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
I'm not sure that I see a difference between Topps putting legit T206 cards in their generic frame and someone else putting legit T206 cards in the same generic frame.

By generic I mean no identifier as to what's in it.
+1

The only value I see is the T206 inside the generic holder. If Topps had a master list available with the names and quantity of each T206 they inserted, and the frames were marked accordingly, you might then have an item with a perceived value above the inserted T206 value.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:56 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDean View Post
+1

The only value I see is the T206 inside the generic holder. If Topps had a master list available with the names and quantity of each T206 they inserted, and the frames were marked accordingly, you might then have an item with a perceived value above the inserted T206 value.
The perceived value is obviously above the T206 value, as shown by the spreadsheet provided by Leon and the fact that Larry continued to do this for years. I personally don't see the augmented value, but obviously some collectors do.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-13-2017 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:07 AM

Default Agree

Peter,
I agree that some people do value the Topps 206 buy back above the inserted T206 value. Leon has provided the members of the board with proof of Larry's scam, and harm to this issue by taking his own time to work the spreadsheet and then provide it. I hope those affected will be made right. I also hope Topps takes needed steps to protect and document future buy back issues to prevent the fraud attached to this issue.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:57 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
How could you undermine a set if Topps was not inserting a complete set of T206's in the packs? There would be no set to complete unless Topps said there were a certain number of cards to collect and each was numbered. If Topps acquired several thousand Doc White or Bunk Congalton cards but only a few Pete Cassidy or William Nattress cards how could they possibly create a set for collectors to work on? They were marketing these so that the pre-war collectors would spend their money with Topps. Merely a marketing ploy. It cannot be all stick and no carrot if you are trying to separate people from their money.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 08-13-2017, 08:02 PM
Fred

I wonder how Topps would feel if they knew about it.

How many cards are known to have been inserted into the holders and sold?

What is the ebay handle of the seller?

Sadly, it seems par for the course for this hobby.

Did this make it to Hauls of Shame yet?
Old 08-13-2017, 08:24 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
I wonder how Topps would feel if they knew about it.

How many cards are known to have been inserted into the holders and sold?

What is the ebay handle of the seller?

Sadly, it seems par for the course for this hobby.

Did this make it to Hauls of Shame yet?
Unlike Tiffany's, Coach, Michael Kors etc... Topps doesn't seem to give a crap about protecting their properties on ebay. there are literally THOUSANDS of counterfeit Topps cards being sold as reprints at the very least, many being represented as the real deal. If Topps would make a stink about this like the aforementioned companies it would clean up a LOT of crap very quickly. Try and list a counterfeit handbag and see how fast you get shut down.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 08-13-2017, 10:02 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Unlike Tiffany's, Coach, Michael Kors etc... Topps doesn't seem to give a crap about protecting their properties on ebay. there are literally THOUSANDS of counterfeit Topps cards being sold as reprints at the very least, many being represented as the real deal. If Topps would make a stink about this like the aforementioned companies it would clean up a LOT of crap very quickly. Try and list a counterfeit handbag and see how fast you get shut down.
Topps didn't lose anything in the process. Someone purchased a Topps Buyback card for the frame, pulled out what was in it, and put in a T206.

Oddly enough the OP (and who knows how many others) may have actually expanded the market. There is no difference to his cards when compared to the original inserts.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:07 AM
Wayne Walker

Man, this thread brings back memories. I have mentioned it in this board a few times before but will repeat it here:

I was Baseball Editor at Topps in 2001/2 and was the editor of the first two Topps206 products. For the first series in 2002, I had the pleasure of opening a package from Kit Young that contained around 250 original t206 cards (and a couple of t205s). My immediate job was to alphabetize them, and because my desk was covered in slides and crap, I went into an empty area of the office, an open carpet space where a couple of cubicles had been removed, and laid these out to sort by first letter of last name on front. Coincidentally, that was one of the few days that Cy Berger was on our floor (he was pretty much retired then and wasn't around Whitehall Street very much, at least not in our floor). But he walked by and saw me - a 27-year-old sitting on the floor sorting old cards - and he smiled form ear and ear and said something like "now that really takes me back." It was a pretty cool moment. But I digress.

I have frustratingly little information beyond the anecdote. I was not (and am not) anything close to knowlegable in t206 cards beyond being able to identify them (and separate out the couple of t205s mentioned above - which I believe got mixed back in by somebody later down the line who didn't know or possibly didn't care about the difference). I did know then about what is still my passion, which is HOFers, and I can tell you that there were not many. Honestly, I think there were no more than five. I vividly recall a Walter Johnson that the little devil and angel on my shoulder argued about for a while (the angel won - the card went into the product and not my pocket). But easily 95%+ of the cards I funneled into the product were no-name players (edited to add: no-names to me, I should say; there could well have been rarities in there, and I never even looked at the backs, a fact that I imagine kills many of you with your amazing passions for this set).

Topps definitely did not track these or keep a spread sheet (that would have been my domain and I was never tasked with it). Whether these cards were 'vetted' for things like cleaning and trimming would be a question for Kit Young (i honestly don't know, either about his reputation for that or for Topps' requirements for same). I can verify what is already known: pretty much every name on the spreadsheet Leon showed early in the thread was NOT put into the set by Topps, at least not into series 1. I think, but am not certain, that this shipment was the totality of cards put into series 1, and while I set the checklist and chose photos for series 2, I did no such sorting of purchased cards for that series or the subsequent series 3. I believe original tobacco cards were put into all three series, but at a significantly lower rate in series 2 & 3 than in 1, as my unreliable memory is telling me that 'buybacks' fell every four boxes or so for series 1, but more like every 10-12 boxes for series 2. Honestly, many others here know more about that than I do, as I was living in Europe by the time the second series came out.

So, I offer little concrete information. I myself owned one of these that I pulled from the box Topps gave me at release, a no-namer, which I sold on eBay maybe 6-7 years ago. I think it sucks what this guy did to a cool item, but little in this hobby surprises me anymore.

Feel free to ask me any questions, but I doubt I'll have satisfactory or concrete answers.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all

Last edited by mighty bombjack; 08-14-2017 at 01:19 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:13 AM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniship View Post
Sorry if I missed it, but where exactly were the new Topps "holders" obtained from?
It seems the guy just bought a bunch of the 99-cent autographs and 'relic' cards that were included in the set, which were framed in the same frames (stuff like a Cristian Guzman bat sliver card or Jorge Julio autograph, practically free on eBay these days). He cut those open, threw away the card, and replaced it with a t206, somehow replacing the plastic cover (which can't be that hard to do, really).

Last edited by mighty bombjack; 08-14-2017 at 01:13 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:38 AM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
This hasn't been known long. Things don't happen overnight and this isn't CSI. Here is some more evidence and I don't have more besides before and after scans of almost all, if not all, of the sales below. A heads up was given to me by another board member in a PM to start it all. I contacted Larry, he didn't come clean until then. He was told it was his choice, he could post about it or I would. I will be contacting ebay too but I don't know what my success will be there. Larry is banned from the BST now. I am sure more later...
Don't want you to think I was ignoring you, Leon. I appreciate the response.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:00 AM
P@trick R.omolo

All it takes is a little research to find the answer to some of the questions asked and debunk some of the statements being made.

He would be using the cheap autograph cards because the game used
have holes where the bat chip and uniform swatch are.
img337.jpg

These are a couple of his recent purchases.
http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...p2047675.l2564
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-Topps-2...p2047675.l2557

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
Topps didn't lose anything in the process. Someone purchased a Topps Buyback card for the frame, pulled out what was in it, and put in a T206.

Oddly enough the OP (and who knows how many others) may have actually expanded the market. There is no difference to his cards when compared to the original inserts.

There is a big difference to me and I'm sure any of the people who purchased
them from him.

Here's a view of the side of one inserted by Topps and one Larry inserted.
A Engle.jpg
A Larry's card.jpg

and I'm sure Topps didn't do this to any of their cards.
Willis(Throwing).jpg

I imagine Topps wouldn't be very happy if they saw this feedback either.
Brown, G. (Wash) Feedback - Copy.jpg
Old 08-14-2017, 09:11 AM
Peter Spaeth

My mistake in earlier identifying a cheap game used card rather than an autograph card as the source of the frames for the frankencards. I did not appreciate the difference.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:56 AM
Wayne Walker

I forgot that the GU cards had that little hole allowing you to touch the material. Yes, it would seem he used autograph cards. I assumed that he somehow destroyed the original plastic cover and replaced it, but it makes sense that he removed and replaced the original.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:57 AM
Wayne Walker

Im not sure that Topps would care about the "trimmed" feedback, as they made no promises about condition, only that original cards were used. Kit Young would know more about that.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:14 PM
Bob McLean

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
A funny thing is, and if I'm correct in thinking what were the T206 'buybacks,' Topps usually used really low grade cards, didn't assign a grade, once in a while inserted the wrong issue and people here wondered why people would give a premium to a low grade T206 just because it was in one of those Topps holders.
I got a pretty nice Zach Wheat 205 out of one of these Topps boxes. It was in Ex+ condition. The others were it Fr-Good condition. Maybe it was from the T-205 reprint boxes though. Should have kept the Wheat. Others were really no namers.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:07 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFV96MASTERS View Post
Can you take a product that has copyrights ( which EVERY Topps produced item does...
From my interpretation from the copyright.gov website, these cards are not copyrighted. They lack the qualifications for a copyright. To substantiate this, there are no copyright notices ( © ) on the cards while other Topps products do contain the copyright notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty bombjack View Post
Feel free to ask me any questions, but I doubt I'll have satisfactory or concrete answers.
Do you know if Topps has a copyright on these? Why no copyright notice?
Old 08-14-2017, 08:50 PM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
From my interpretation from the copyright.gov website, these cards are not copyrighted. They lack the qualifications for a copyright. To substantiate this, there are no copyright notices ( © ) on the cards while other Topps products do contain the copyright notice.

Do you know if Topps has a copyright on these? Why no copyright notice?
No Topps did not copyright the holder, at least to my knowledge, only the cards it printed to go inside. You will see the copyright on the autograph and relic minis, but the frame wasn't deemed worth bothering over, it seems (though it does have the Topps206 name on it...), and clearly the t206s themselves aren't Topps' intellectual property.

I think you've hit the key to the legality of this.

Last edited by mighty bombjack; 08-14-2017 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:33 AM
Paul

Quote:
I think you've hit the key to the legality of this.
Whether or not Topps copyrighted the holder is really besides the point here.

OP: I took cards submitted in Topps packs, that were intended to and did interest people in buying Topps cards, and made hidden changes to trick customers into thinking they were buying the original inserts, for my own economic gain.

Response: The inserts didn't contain a copyright mark. You're good.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 08-15-2017 at 06:34 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:03 AM
Peter Spaeth

It's fraud. An open and shut case of fraud. Who gives a damn about copyright?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-15-2017 at 07:05 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:12 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
It's fraud. An open and shut case of fraud. Who gives a damn about copyright?
Copyright only means something if i was going to sell my own holders that look and resemble the style of the ones with t206 cards but everyone knows that they arent from topps...there could be an argument from topps that i couldnt do that.. When you are sellling something alleging they are topps holder t206s and they aren't thats fraud...

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 08-15-2017 at 07:13 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:14 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
It's exactly the point here. You're arguing the ethicality of it. You're right! You win! Nobody is disputing that. I'm arguing the legality of it, and you couldn't be any more wrong. And I'm not arguing in a way to defend Larry. My point (which you and others have conveniently and deliberately twisted) was in response to whether or not Larry could face criminal action. It's my belief that he couldn't. There are certainly other consequences like being publically shamed, losing respect and trust in the hobby world, being banned from here, etc. But, as I said earlier, I'm finished discussing it. I simply wanted to know if the cards were copyrighted. I think we got the correct answer.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 08-15-2017 at 07:15 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:15 AM
Peter Spaeth

[QUOTE=vintagetoppsguy;1690847][QUOTE=T206Collector;1690836]Whether or not Topps copyrighted the holder is really besides the point here.
Quote:

It's exactly the point here. You're arguing the ethicality of it. You're right! You win! Nobody is disputing that. I'm arguing the legality of it, and you couldn't be any more wrong. And I'm not arguing in a way to defend Larry. My point (which you and others have conveniently and deliberately twisted) was in response to whether or not Larry could face criminal action. It's my belief that he couldn't. There are certainly other consequences like being publically shamed, losing respect and trust in the hobby world, being banned from here, etc. But, as I said earlier, I'm finished discussing it. I simply wanted to know if the cards were copyrighted. I think we got the correct answer.
Yes David you're right and every lawyer on the board who has posted that it's illegal fraud is wrong. Read the wire fraud statute which has been posted here and tell me which element is not met. Or you can just ignore it because your beliefs trump the actual law.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-15-2017 at 07:17 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:21 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
According to the authorities I have spoken with you are wrong. But what do they know anyway?

Last edited by Leon; 08-15-2017 at 07:21 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:22 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
According to the authorities I have spoken with you are wrong. But what do they know anyway?
They don't know shit and neither do I or Kenny or Paul or Adam or anyone I am leaving out to whom I apologize. David knows the law much better than we do.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:25 AM
Paul

Quote:
You're arguing the ethicality of it. . . . I'm arguing the legality of it, and you couldn't be any more wrong.
The point of my post was on the legality of the conduct -- which is in violation of several laws, state and federal, as well as criminal and civil... just maybe not copyright law.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 08-15-2017, 07:48 AM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post

OP: I took cards submitted in Topps packs, that were intended to and did interest people in buying Topps cards, and made hidden changes to trick customers into thinking they were buying the original inserts, for my own economic gain.

Response: The inserts didn't contain a copyright mark. You're good.
I don't think anybody said "you're good." There are plenty of cases that are considered fraud within our hobby that are certainly not illegal. I would put this up there with trimming or recoloring cards and reselling them without that disclosure.

Are those things illegal? If the answer is no, are they automatically "good"?

Old 08-15-2017, 07:49 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
They don't know shit and neither do I or Kenny or Paul or Adam or anyone I am leaving out to whom I apologize. David knows the law much better than we do.
Thanks for the education, Peter. I was always under the impression that an attorneys job was to represent their client, and it was the judge's job to interpret the law. I learn something new every day.

Everyone knows attorneys are never wrong (double eye roll)
Old 08-15-2017, 07:51 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Thanks for the education, Peter. I was always under the impression that an attorneys job was to represent their client, and it was the judge's job to interpret the law. I learn something new every day.

Everyone knows attorneys are never wrong (double eye roll)
That is a dumb comment (attorneys research and interpret the law every day in order to formulate arguments) and your willful arrogance is astonishing, truly. Do you really think you know more about what constitutes illegal fraud than all the lawyers on this Board? Again, tell me what element of the wire fraud statute is not met and we can have a real discussion.

Maybe next you can argue the earth is flat. For all I can tell you might believe it.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-15-2017 at 07:59 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:01 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I don't think anybody said "you're good." There are plenty of cases that are considered fraud within our hobby that are certainly not illegal. I would put this up there with trimming or recoloring cards and reselling them without that disclosure.

Are those things illegal? If the answer is no, are they automatically "good"?
Yes, they are illegal, if you sell them without disclosure. You might try reading the Mastro indictment, for one thing.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-15-2017 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:12 AM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Yes, they are illegal, if you sell them without disclosure. You might try reading the Mastro indictment, for one thing.
I should read the indictment, clearly.

So, simple question: It is not illegal to take the graphite end of a pencil and write on a t206 card (though many here might like it to be) and then list that on eBay without mention (because the writing would be pretty obvious). But to take the eraser end of the pencil to one that previously marks on it and list it on eBay without mention is punishable by law?

Old 08-15-2017, 08:17 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

So, simple question: It is not illegal to take the graphite end of a pencil and write on a t206 card (though many here might like it to be) and then list that on eBay without mention (because the writing would be pretty obvious). But to take the eraser end of the pencil to one that previously marks on it and list it on eBay without mention is punishable by law?
Well now you are into a gray area whether that would be a material alteration that needs to be disclosed. We could argue about whether it is or isn't. But for a clear-cut case like trimming, yeah. There is also a California statute specifically on point that I recall but cannot immediately locate it.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:18 AM
Dan Bl@u

Quote:

If the seller lists it as unaltered, and does so with the intent to defraud, then yes.

ETA: subject to Peter's caveat. If the buyer relies on any representation that the card is unaltered and that factors into the decision to purchase, or the price, then it is fraud.

Last edited by Bliggity; 08-15-2017 at 08:20 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:22 AM
Peter Spaeth

Keep in mind a lot of this is theoretical discussion . I am not going to get arrested for going 56 in a 55 MPH zone. Larry Harris is not going to get prosecuted here, the authorities have better things to do. And so on. But is what he did illegal, and could he be prosecuted? Absolutely.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-15-2017 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:51 AM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliggity View Post
If the seller lists it as unaltered, and does so with the intent to defraud, then yes.

ETA: subject to Peter's caveat. If the buyer relies on any representation that the card is unaltered and that factors into the decision to purchase, or the price, then it is fraud.
So intent matters? The OP could theoretically argue that the premium from the Topps pack was more the frame (as a presentation piece) than the card and frame in its entirety. Topps was putting random cards into frames with zero correlation between the two, so OP was just doing same. The argument would become how natural the assumption that these came in packs as such would be (I imagine).

None of us believes that about the OP's intent, of course, but I think this is a pretty gray area as well in that the Topps206 holder is not too far differentiated from a generic topholder (seems closer to that than to a slab, at least). I don't know how easy it is to remove and replace the cover.

Sorry if I'm annoying anyone here. I'm enjoying the back and forth quite a bit.