NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-01-2008, 11:51 PM
Administrator

Default How do crossovers impact pop reports?

Posted By: Frank B

You have a low pop card in a PSA holder and you
get it crossed over to SGC. Can an item be removed
from the PSA report?

Old 02-02-2008, 06:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

I've often wondered the same thing. I did it in reverse though, I have a 1914 Cracker Jack Del Pratt, at the time there were 3 graded by PSA and 3 graded by SGC. I crossed it over from SGC to PSA and wondered if I should contact SGC to get it removed.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

The grading companies all should have an interest in keeping their pop reports accurate. Of course, they also have an interest in making it look like there are more cards, rather than less cards, graded by their company.

That said, from what I understand, each company will purportedly remove a card from the pop report if you send them the flip. I just crossed a low pop card from GAI to SGC and asked SGC to return the flip so that I can send it in to GAI and have the card removed from their pop report - I havent done so yet because I understand that GAI wont be open until Monday.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Last time I asked this question on the forum, I was told when SGC crosses over a card from a PSA holder, they let PSA know to remove the item from the pop report.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:00 AM
Administrator

I dont believe that is correct Matt. I think it is up to you to try and get it removed. As mentioned, I noted on a recent invoice that I wanted a flip returned so I could send it to GAI and get it removed from their pop report - if SGC had a policy of calling each time they crossed over a card, I doubt they would have bothered sending the flip back to me as requested. Regardless, its easy enough to find out the answer by giving SGC a call.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:01 AM
Administrator

Josh - I think it was Joe D who said that, but I'll see if I can dig up the thread.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:05 AM
Administrator

Im not doubting that it was said in another thread. I just dont believe that to be correct. With the number of cards that sgc crosses, I just doubt that they are on the phone each day with psa asking that the cards be removed from psa's pop reports.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Josh I have heard the same thing, but rather then phone each other up daily I thought they would simply mail to each other the flips maybe 1 or 2x a month.

Steve

Old 02-02-2008, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

what a novel, yet practical concept..........doubt it happens though.......

Old 02-02-2008, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

Matt is correct - I did mention that in a prior thread.

Of course, I don't work for SGC or PSA and I don't know for sure.....

but when I was at an SGC Open House with some buddies - one of the cards a friend submitted was a crossover. When the card came back without the PSA flip (just the card in the SGC holder) - my friend asked about the flip. SGC Rep said (not quoting exact words, just the gist of it).... that whenever they do PSA crossovers they send the flips back to PSA as a professional courtesy and that PSA does the same.

I heard it with my own ears.... stated by an SGC rep..... standing in SGC headquarters.

Does it actually happen that way? Do they actually take the time to remove the flips from the registry upon receiving them back? I have no idea.

edited: some grammar

Old 02-02-2008, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

There's more that impacts pop reports than cross-overs.

I tend to believe that a lot of people will crack the cards and re-submit rather than do a straight cross-over.

We've all heard (and know) about cracking for re-submissions to get a higher grade. Those cards are definitely not removed from the pop reports. I wonder, just how accurate are those pop reports?

Old 02-02-2008, 07:36 AM
Administrator

Someone here must have submitted a card for cross-over that has a population low enough that it would be readily apparent if it got automatically removed. That's how we would know for certain.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:18 AM
Administrator

I posted early in the thread about my Del Pratt '14 Cracker Jack that has a pop. of 3 in both PSA and SGC. I crossed a SGC 50 to PSA, and it still appears on the SGC Population Report. SGC shows 3 graded, PSA shows 4. Looks like someone missed a message.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:24 AM
Administrator

interesting; it's in the best interests of the new company to have it removed from the old companies pop reports, but the help of the old company is needed to do that and it's to the old company's detriment.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:34 AM
Administrator

It brings up an interesting question that we came across while putting the '14 set together. If we had crossed our Pratt over, who's to say that it hadn't happened before. With only 6 documented, 1 in the miracle set, one in Peter Garcia's top set, 1 in the #2 set on PSA, (not a published list, but my guess is that he has one as he is only down one card) and the one in our possession, that only left 2 "in play". If one of those was crossed over, and not updated, the population would be down to 5 total. That's a small number, more importantly, that means that there could only be 5 complete graded sets that could be made. A tough hurdle to jump, for anyone trying to put a set together.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

And I'll say it again -- pop reports are great to help determine relative levels of scarcity between comparable cards. But if you are making purchase decisions based on a difference of 1 or 2 or a few in the pop report, you are basing that decision on a static point in time when there is no guarantee of that report's accuracy then or that the potentially inaccurate report won't change in the future.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Visit http://www.t206collector.com for my blog, interviews, articles, card galleries and more!