NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-04-2002, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Default help please Re: festberg auction

Posted By: steve

Hello, I was referred to this board from someone on the collectors universe board. I've run into a bit of a problem. I recently won a lot in the Festberg auction. Big Mistake! Not only are the cards in the set the most overgraded junk I've come across in 20 years in the hobby, the set was missing the 2 key cards that it was supposed to include. I've left numerous messages via the phone and email over the last week, and have received no reply. If you call his #, all you get is a machine. No one from the company has returned any of my messages. At this point, I feel that the lack of any communication means that I am most likely being ripped off. If that is the case, I'm out about $300 (the value of the 2 key cards missing from the set). My question is does anyone have any experience with this auction house? and from a legal standpoint, what are my options to try to get either the missing cards or the cash equivalent. My experience in the past has always been with auction houses like mastro, superior and others, always without a problem. This was my first and most likely last experience with festberg, and it has been a disaster. Thanks for any input anyone may have.

Old 06-04-2002, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Williams

Having dealt with Dave on a number of "things"....I would keep calling. I believe when you finally get a pulse on the other end of the phone, you will most likely be told to send back your winning lot and you will receive credit in a future auction. If this is unacceptable to you....push to get a full refund and then move on.

Old 06-04-2002, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

When I saw a Scrapps advertised as ex-mint, and I'd held the same card in my hand and it was VG-, I decided never again.

Old 06-04-2002, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

I would contact SCD. I believe Festberg has a ten year no complaint award from them that he usually displays in his ads. Perhaps they can help by putting some pressure on him.

Old 06-04-2002, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

>>I would contact SCD. I believe Festberg has a ten year no complaint award from them that he usually displays in his ads. Perhaps they can help by putting some pressure on him.>>

Bob Lemke is a great guy but I wouldn't hold my breath. After I was treated shabbily by Clean Sweep Auctions (Steve Verkman) several years ago, I complained to SCD which was accepting his ads and never even received a reply...

Old 06-06-2002, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

with his most recent auction. I had won a lot about 2 years ago and was disappointed but since the amount was so reasonable I decided to keep it.

Decided to give him a second chance recently... BIG MISTAKE! The lot was incredibly overgraded and disappointing. Additionally, it was missing 2 of the key cards. I immediately called and left a detailed message on his machine. Then I faxed a detail of the missing cards and a key that was listed as Ex but was in actuality in poor condition. Due to his policy of receiving a credit upon return, I decided to take my lumps and keep the lot, and pressure him for a refund (which was minimal). Also, he did locate and send me one of the missing keys. So, my advice is to continue hounding him until you work out a resolution.

I do not understand how he can be permittted to advertise in good standing with SCD. I question whether he can continue to run auctions based on the bad experiences I have been reading about.

Old 06-06-2002, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

I was warned by several board members to stay away from Festberg's auction, but I bid anyway on a lot of 26 '34 Goudey commons. Because of all the bad press, hardly anyone bid on any of the lots, and I got mine for minimum bid. They turned out to be grossly over-graded, and only about five would go in my collection. I sold every single one of them individually and made $3 - what a wonderful success story!!! I did several backwards flips after these successful ebay auctions ended.

Old 06-08-2002, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

I don't know what has happened with David or his auctions. I used to really enjoy bidding on his cards and buying cards from him in the early and mid '90's. His cards were always well graded and he was an invaluable source when I was building my first T207 set. I began hearing rumblings from collectors about 4 or 5 years ago and had a bad experience myself around then. Since then I haven't purchased any more cards from him. I don't know what has happened as I found the David from 8-10 years ago to be very friendly and a pleasure to work with but now he doesn't seem like the same guy and I hear reports that his cards are severely overgraded and he doesn't seem to care about his customers like he once did. My last transaction with him was a problem and he failed to respond to any of my emails for a refund on card which had been horribly altered. A real shame...

Old 06-08-2002, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John Wojak

Although I haven't won anything from Festberg in about a year, I have won several items from him in the past 5 years and yes, his cards are severely overgraded by about two full grades, but other than that I have not had any problems with communications, etc. I will still bid in his auctions, but either for graded material or, if I bid ungraded material, I adjust downward by two whole grades and then bid accordingly.

Old 06-08-2002, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Festberg is on my most hated list. I bid on two auctions, that were over graded so badly, plus I received two HOFers that were reprints. It took him over 3 weeks to reply, after it took 3 weeks to get the cards. He asked me if he should fire his grader, I guess I rank pretty high on his list to make personal decisions for him.

I got lucky on the second lot and got a T206 scrap card that I was able to get a good trade for. If you read his fine print he does not hold him self responsible and does not offer a refund.

The guy is a piece of elephant dung and that's giving dung a bad name, sorry dung lovers.

maybe this thread should be sent to Bob Lemke, Festberg is a disgrace to the hobby!!!!!!!!

Lee

Old 06-09-2002, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: BcD

a month ago! Tried to tell John Spencer I altered a E-106 Cobb he passed off to me as Ex plus............He is impoverished so he is stooping to new levels of lowness. Weight training or no weight training....

Old 06-09-2002, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

...as he gets older