NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-05-2002, 04:26 AM
Administrator

Default 'A' for honesty

Posted By: David 

For a welcome change, this seller accurately describes the NASA item.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1834207346

Old 06-05-2002, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Default 'A' for honesty

Posted By: MW

David --

With all due respect, I strongly disagree with you. By mere virtue of the fact that this scrap of paper is listed under the category, "pre-1950" baseball cards, the auction is deceptive.

Some hobbyists -- especially those who are just getting started -- cannot distinguish between actual baseball cards and worthless scraps of paper. Clearly, this item is improperly listed in this category; furthermore, it was never designed to be marketed in this fashion. Let the seller list this item in a different category where it belongs -- "pre-1950" worthless scraps of paper.

Old 06-05-2002, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Default 'A' for honesty

Posted By: David

I understand your point. Do you beleive that the 'e-cards' cut from vintage notebooks and Allen & Ginter 'cards' cut from 1880s tobacco albums should be banned from the Pre-1950 cards section? I'm not trying to bait you, just curious where you draw the line ... And thanks for the National Chicle link.

Old 06-05-2002, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Default 'A' for honesty

Posted By: jeff

MW,

I agree that this item is mis-listed, but let's be careful what we call "worthless."

After all, we all collect scraps of cardboard; sometimes actual scraps of paper, as David points out. Value depends on a lot of personal and social factors.

A related example: in the map collecting hobby (I don't collect that stuff, but I read a few articles a few months back), some hobbyists and historians are incensed that others are buying old atlases and cutting them up, selling individual pages as wall hangings and the like.

50 years ago, those scraps of paper were worthless. Now there is a market for them.

We should also be careful about how technical we get about proper listing in ebay categories. Scott has an e95 set in "singles:pre-1950." It's a set! Frequently, baseball collectors (including me) list boxing and football stuff in the baseball section. Cross-listing is a similar phenomenon.

I don't have a problem with that--I wouldn't find Scott's set if he didn't list it the way he did. But these common practices indicate that eBay's categories are understood by collectors as guidelines. And sellers of magazine clippings are probably right that they are likely to find more interested bidders in the singles:pre-50 category than in the "memorabilia" or "misc." sections.

Jeff

Old 06-05-2002, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Default 'A' for honesty

David --

Can you give me some examples of the "cards" you have listed? Wouldn't cutting these "cards" (Allen & Ginters) from tobacco albums be kind of stupid, since it would devalue the albums? Although I'm not quite certain whether you are referring to a scrapbook or an album. Also, wouldn't there be a difference between a thicker cardboard stock and a flimsy magazine stock? Some items, as in the two examples you have given, are used for advertising; therefore, some collectors would view them as more legitimate than a non-advertising piece of scrap cut from a magazine. Still, I would not classify either of these as baseball cards similar to other strip or box cards.

In any case, scraps of paper cut from Spalding baseball guides do not qualify as "baseball cards." They're crap and that's all there is to it.

Old 06-05-2002, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Default 'A' for honesty

Jeff --

My mistake. NASA and AAA graded scraps of paper cut from Spalding baseball guides have little or no value to serious collectors of vintage baseball cards and I sincerely doubt they ever will. Millions of "Mint" examples can readily be made. There is no scarcity and almost no demand.

Your cross-listing example is not applicable. In one case, cross-listing can be utilized to increase exposure for a LEGITIMATE item. In another, it can be used to try to legitimize a bogus item. Which case do you think this is?

Old 06-05-2002, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Default 'A' for honesty

Posted By: runscott

I would love to see a "vintage reprint" category, and also a "vintage baseball memorabilia" category. Finally, I don't like the "graded" category at all. I have put my graded cards in the "graded" category this time, but I didn't like doing it. Ebay could combine the two categories like they used to, and we could very easily do searches on "PSA,SCD,SGC..." to locate the graded cards of our choice.

It is very tiring to continually see jackasssports reprints with titles that do not say "rp,reprint" or anything else. It is easy for real vintage cards to get lost among all the garbage that he sells...well, he doesn't actually sell much.

Old 06-05-2002, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Default 'A' for honesty

Posted By: runscott

...in the above post. He has worked hard to secure his reputation as a misleading mega-dealer of mis-categorized garbage.