NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-30-2002, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Default 3rd try

Posted By: leon

Well Folks,
Here is my 3rd try at getting a true Fro-Joy. I was telling a fellow board member, today on the phone, how I was sure this was a good one as the paper looked correct...and there are no obvious signs of a problem...I think you have all been here before and just don't admit it....maybe, a little paranoia about a card's characteristics? (especially myself after being the proud owner of 2 fakes already) So I looped it when I got home just to see the dot patterns...they look right....solid on the lines and dotted on the picture...except Babes face ain't lookin' so hot...not that it ever did but I am talking about condition here....and yes, in his day I guess he was "dapper"...so the real reason of this suspicion is that the back says it is the #3 card...when the SCD clearly says this should be the the #5 card?? I did not want to waste another listing jpeg for the back or I would have posted it too ....on the back besides the normal "youth unit" stuff it says "this is the 3rd in a series of 6 pictures....etc"...so the card looks good to my novice eyes (although getting better) but the back ? It's the wrong number according to the 2000 and 2002 SCD's (don't have 2001). Any ideas?...and sorry so long-winded....also FYI I am going on vacation tomorrow from Alaska so will be outta touch ......ya'll stay away from my igloo....thanks and best regards

Old 05-31-2002, 12:09 AM
Administrator

Default 3rd try

Posted By: vorthian

<< so the real reason of this suspicion is that the back says it is the #3 card...when the SCD clearly says this should be the the #5 card?? I did not want to waste another listing jpeg for the back or I would have posted it too ....on the back besides the normal "youth unit" stuff it says "this is the 3rd in a series of 6 pictures....etc"...so the card looks good to my novice eyes (although getting better) but the back ? It's the wrong number according to the 2000 and 2002 SCD's (don't have 2001). Any ideas? >>

Leon:

The SCD, as many know, isn't 100% accurate. Here is the correct checklist...

1 - George Herman ("Babe") Ruth
2 - Look Out, Mr. Pitcher!
3 - Bang! The Babe Lines One Out!
4 - When The "Babe" Comes Home
5 - "Babe" Ruth's Grip!
6 - Ruth is a Crack Fielder

I do know that this issue has been reprinted, so be careful. If you are looking for any authentic copies, let me know - I have a few extra.

Old 05-31-2002, 06:20 AM
Administrator

Default 3rd try

Posted By: HalleyGator

Vorthian flashes his money roll and the crowd oooohhh and aaahhhhs!!!

The Monster from Midlothian flexs his muscle!!

Just ribbing you, Vorth ... awesome card!

PS - If I scan a crappy condition 1914 Cracker Jack horizontal Matty card and ask a question about it ... will you drop a PSA 8 on me??

PSS - Is the Skinny Babe on the market yet??

Old 05-31-2002, 06:27 AM
Administrator

Default 3rd try

Posted By: leon

Thanks for the pic and info. I am pretty comfortable with this card I have now that you shed light on the numbering situation on the back. Since I have had the priviledge of seeing quite a few fakes I do think this one I have is real. The other cards from '28 that I have have the same feel and gloss to them, for the most part. Those being the 4 different ice cream issues, the GH Ruth Candy series, and the Star Player series. This one smells right too (that was the first question the board member asked me on the phone) The seller of this card says he has a few more he will let go, of the exact same pic and the "grip", with all being in the gd-vg range for a $70 price range. He says he got them from his mother who got them from a deceased uncle......although it sounds like one of "those" stories he does have creedence in other areas......thanks again and best regards

Old 06-01-2002, 02:12 AM
Administrator

Default 3rd try

Posted By: vorthian

<< PSS - Is the Skinny Babe on the market yet?? >>

Hal: I might be able to arrange a personal viewing of the M101-5 Ruth PSA 7 at the National. I'll be sure to bring you a box of kleenax to gather your drools. Speaking of skinny and not-so-skinny Ruths, I just sold 6 earlier this week - Oxford, E120, W575-1, Willards, Harringtons and Yuenglings.

<< Those being the 4 different ice cream issues, the GH Ruth Candy series, >>

Leon: You have the Ruth's from the 4 different ice cream issues (Harringtons, Yuenglings, Tharps and Sweetman)? Also, be careful of the GH Ruth Candy series - those were cleverly reprinted as well. The wording and font are what give them away.

Old 06-01-2002, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Default 3rd try

Posted By: HalleyGator

What is your asking price again?

Maybe I need to bring enough cash to get YOU drooling.