NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-28-2002, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Default Hobby Hall of Fame

Posted By: Jay Miller 

If there were a hobby Hall of Fame created, who would your nominees be for inclusion? I would nominate the following:

Jefferson Burdick
Buck Barker
Keith Mitchell
Lew Lipset
Bill Mastro
Barry Halper
Alan Rosen

Old 05-28-2002, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jeff

I say we cap inductions permanently at 50. (completely arbitrary). That way we will never induct the hobby equivalent of Freddie Lindstrom (me, on a good day <g>, out-hobbied by thousands), and we won't even consider the hobby equivalent of Pete Rose (Festberg?).

And we won't have to induct 25 new guys when we discover the pre-history of the hobby--all those neighborhood old judge collectors who kept their piles of cards with their serialized Dickens novels.

Old 05-28-2002, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Cornell

That's certainly a terrific initial class. I'd nominate Frank Nagy, another great old school collector who ran a mail-order auction that was my first source of vintage cards back in the late-70's/early-80's. He had been collecting for decades and was very willing to share his knowledge of all kinds of cards.

Old 05-28-2002, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brian c

no hobby hof list is complete without mark macrae.

Old 05-28-2002, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Obermeyer

Tried to post this earlier and it didn't appear...

There are a number of other significant collectors and hobby contributors to consider:

Jim Beckett
Bob Jaspersen
Bert Sugar
Richard Egan
Lionel Carter
Charles Bray
Dick Dobbins
John Spalding
Dan Dischley
Kit Young
Larry Fritsch

That's just a few... publishers, collectors, contributors, etc. I think you could easily come up with the top 10-15, with Burdick being the hands down #1 choice.

As an aside, someone worked on a project like this some time in the 1970's. I know I've read about it somewhere, and I'll try to look through my materials. I believe there were only 6-7 "inductees" before whatever publication was working the idea stopped publishing.

Jeff Obermeyer

Old 05-28-2002, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: HalleyGator

I bought my first set from Renata Galasso ... is she still around??

Was she a good dealer?? I just remember the name, but not whether she was good or bad.

Anyone heard of her?

Old 05-28-2002, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Dear Hal
I used to buy all my sets from Reneta Glasso, and they always included free sets of there own cards. I still have nm/mint sets of 75,76,77,78,79 from Glasso.
They always had great catologs and cards.
later brian

Old 05-28-2002, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Jeff--I am unfamiliar with a few of the people you mention (Jasperson, Sugar and Dischley). Who are they? Also, although Fritsch and Young have established very successful hobby businesses, what have they really contributed? I nominated Lew because of his research and publications, not because of his business. I nominated Mastro because he really created the major auction and the on-line auction. Rosen was nominated because, in many cases, he was the voice of the hobby to the outside world when there was no other.

Old 05-28-2002, 08:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Obermeyer

Bob Jaspersen was the publisher of Sport Fan from 1951-82 - it probably could be considered the longest running hobby pub ever. Of course, it wasn't published on anything even resembling a regular basis. However, Bob always had some interesting things to say in his newsletter, and he published annual collector directories in the 1950's in which a collector could purchase an ad which discussed what they collected - he then sold these for $0.50 each.

Bert Sugar is in my mind the most entertaining boxing writer ever. He also was the "editor" of all for editions of the Sports Collectors Bible, the book which really started it all as far as annual guides and checklists are concerned.

Dan Dischley was the publisher of The Trader Speaks from 1969 through the early 1980's, and it was THE monthly hobby pub during much of this time. It had great articles and tons of ads in every issue. All this while working full time as a cop. Oh yeah, did I mention that he's one of the 12 founding members of SABR (Society for American Baseball Research) too?

Brain metions Renatta Galasso... good call there. In addition to her mail order business, she also put out a magazine for a while and did a bunch of reprint sents, including T206.

I included Fritsch because he is arguably the first person to ever make a living at selling sports cards in the secondary market. He also has a truly amazing collection of cards which I'm certain rivals almost anything out there (at least it did until he started having it graded by SCD and selling it). If you've only been in the hobby the last 15 years or so, it's hard to appreciate the impact Larry's mail order business had for collectors.

Kit Young is kind of the same deal - he's been around forever, has a good reputation, and was one of the guys who used to travel from city to city on buying trips long before shows were common. There's also his annual trade conference in Hawaii, which is a LOT of fun!

I certainly agree with the inclusion of Rosen - doesn't matter if you love him or hate him, he is a publicity machine and has had some huge finds. I've had the pleasure of meeting him on numerous occassions, and I've always enjoyed his company (which probably puts me in the minority).

Jeff Obermeyer

Old 05-28-2002, 08:23 PM
Administrator

I agree with alot of Jeff's nominees, I've been around the hobby for 25 of my 34 years and have very clear memories of the catologs produced by galasso, young and a few other Mavericks, which drove the hobby in the late 70's early 80's. I attended numerous shows from Atlanta to Atlantic city, often stopping at Willow Grove, the best of the Old tyme shows. Alan Rosen has always been Mr Mint, full of hype, but underneath the mask, one on one a pretty good guy. Josh Evans is another good guy who away from the hype is a true hobbiest. I remember buying bats and signed contacts at his house before Lelands was even an idea in the lightbulb stage. Bill Henderson is another Hobby nominee, he knows more about commons from 1950 on than anybody period. Soory to ramble , but from 12 to 25 I had a hell of a good time in the hobby. Thanks to all, I know I've forgotten many. be well brian

Old 05-28-2002, 08:35 PM
Administrator

I'm sorry about my typing, but buying Baseball cards was alot more fun than learning to become a secretary. Who new computers would make typing an important skill. Just an early apoligy to future screwups.
thanks brian

Old 05-28-2002, 08:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Old 05-28-2002, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Old 05-28-2002, 09:24 PM
Administrator

Thanks Jeff. I've only collected cards during my second childhood for about 15 years (and only about eleven years on the baseball side) so some of these names were new to me. I now understand your support for them and I appreciate the education.

If enough people think it is a good idea why don't we start our own official hobby HOF here. We can have a nominating committee, have an official vote of board members, and present some sort of certificates to the living inductees at some appropriate venue. I would even throw in the money to get a plaque that could be engraved with the members names if we could agree on an appropriate place to have it displayed. Please tell me I spent too much time in the sun next to the grill today!

Old 05-28-2002, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony

I'll put in Dan Dischley, for TTS
Mike Boderenko for SCN
Strohmeyer (sp?) for SCD
without these early mags we wouldn't be where we are.
Woody Gelman for design and marketing
Mark Macrae (I always refer to him as Mark Macrae too!) for always having an answer and if not finding the answers, and always being so forthcoming with his knowledge and time.
Charlie Conlan, Jim Nowell, Merv Williams, Gavin Riley, Gar Miller and probably a dozen others that stuck thru the times when it was just a hobby and not a business, and endured to share their knowledge with the rest of us.
Lew Lipsett and Jim Beckett for all of their work.
And for better or worse, whoever invented those damn tombs that have totally changed the hobby!

Old 05-29-2002, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric Angyal

Alan Hagar

Old 05-29-2002, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Craig

Bill Heitman. 'nuff said.

Old 05-29-2002, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

There was an emergency meeting of the Vintage Card Board last night in my home concerning the fledgling ‘Hobby Hall of Fame.’ The first order of business was when I nominated by dogs, Henry and Jack, to the board. The second order of business was when he changed the rule so that it is illegal to vote in family members or pets (With grandfather clause exception). Now that the Rudd household holds the voting block, the HOF award is now known as the Judge Landis Memorial Award and this year’s winner is Bud Selig. At first though it might be difficult to get Henry and Jack to always vote my way, but votes taken just before dinner prove most effective (One drool = yes, two drools = definitely yes).

Oh, and one more thing, there is a compulsory $10 monthly fee from everyone on the board (including lurkers!). All funds are to be $US, no personal checks allowed.

Old 05-29-2002, 08:40 PM
Administrator

I didn't even have to pay a premium!

Old 05-29-2002, 08:42 PM
Administrator

Old 05-31-2002, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

for his seminal work in cataloguing exhibit cards. It was published in TTS in the 1970's. The set nomenclature (set 80, set 81, etc.) that old time collectors use came from his works.

Old 05-31-2002, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

Goodwin Goldfadden. Talk about the first one to make a living on the hobby. He was doing it when Fritsch was still in grade school. I had the fortunate experience of visiting his store in LA once in the 1970's. Never will forget it. A hole in the wall crammed with great stuff. I bought a nice run of Hank Aaron cards from him.