NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-29-2002, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Default Hobby Hall of Shame

Posted By: runscott

I wasn't around when Al Rosen, Larry Frisch, etc. were contributing to the hobby, but I am of course grateful for their ground-work. I have;however, seen what folks like the ones listed below have done to it. It would be fun to list the top villain forgers of the last few years as well, but it's been very nice not to see their names for a while, so I'll refrain.

John Hoffman (PRO) - http://www.prograding.net/company.htm
Guy Stopard (NASA) - http://www.t206museum.com/page/periodical_21.html

Clearly, these two are the Ruth and Cobb of the group.

Old 05-29-2002, 11:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian C Daniels

Golden globe winners of money floating and non payment!

Old 05-30-2002, 12:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

Bizarre statements like this about the NASA graded Wagner from the seemingly anonymous author and curator of the T206 museum site:

"We do not want to cause any auction interference and comment on the authenticity of this Grade 1 (NA) specimen at this moment."

Old 05-30-2002, 12:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

One Word:

FESTBERG

Lee

Old 05-30-2002, 01:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David

MW, I respectfully though strongly disagree with your choice, and, frankly, think a Hall of Shame is a bad idea.

Old 05-30-2002, 01:23 AM
Administrator

David --

I'm curious. Do you too have difficulty determining the authenticity of some NASA graded cards? Point out which ones you're having trouble with and I'll try to help.

Old 05-30-2002, 01:29 AM
Administrator

And since when it is OK to waffle and muddle about when it comes to the authenticity of a slabbed piece of crap? Unless all common sense and basic knowledge of T206s has escaped you (as it apparently has eluded the author of this article), why treat my "nomination" with such surprise? If you don't like the idea of this thread, don't contribute.

Old 05-30-2002, 01:38 AM
Administrator

David --

Perhaps instead of writing,"We do not want to cause any auction interference and comment on the authenticity of this Grade 1 (NA) specimen at this moment."

...the author should have written, "Let me forego all application of common sense for just a moment and set aside all electrochemical responses within my brain so that a hobby novice or uneducated consumer might be taken in by this scam (and my promotion of it) and bid on a fake card."

Old 05-30-2002, 01:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David

Michael, I'm going decline on getting into an argument. I've been down that road before.

Old 05-30-2002, 02:38 AM
Administrator

...I just don't have very much tolerance for people who sell fake crap on eBay. Ignorance is one thing, but knowingly selling fake Wagners when you've been notified by numerous hobby experts is another. And any such support or promotion of this activity (as evidenced by the stupid objectivity of the author of this article) definitely warrants a "Hall of Shame" nomination from me.

Old 05-30-2002, 06:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Williams

My vote goes to any individual (dealer/collector alike) that alters a sportscard in order to receive a higher grade and/or increased profit. This includes removing wrinkles, buying oversized cards to trim to size and any of the more obvious alterations.

Old 05-30-2002, 07:30 AM
Administrator

...but keep in mind that t206museum just gathers and reports for the most part. Whether something is right, wrong, or even timely, doesn't seem to matter much to them. I think that overall they have been very positive for beginners in the hobby - but I don't think they deserve the white robes and marble pedestals that they have given themselves...and, yes, the anonymous little man behind the curtain is irritating.

Old 05-30-2002, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: HalleyGator

I once drew a handlebar moustahce on an old Rollie Fingers card to make him look like himself.

Does this count?

PS - It later received a PRO 10 Gem Mint grade.

Old 05-30-2002, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I hear PRO has a new registry program and the Rollie puts you in the #1 set position. Now you can be even more proud......you do have a great set though (of PSA cards ).....best regards all

Old 05-30-2002, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Except...I'm getting an SGC 60 N162 Steinitz (great chess player of the 19th century), and I think maybe I'll leave it in the case. It's not really relevasnt to any of my baseball cards (except 1 Brouthers from the same set). SGC cases are sort of pretty...

But tell me something: howe do you store your graded cards? My housemate just got a five-foot-high, 2 1/2 feet wide black wooden CD holder---in something like that, with lots of little shelves in it? His CDs look great.

I like hauling out the old albums for guests--have to watch them so their eyes don't start to glaze over.

Old 05-31-2002, 06:33 AM
Administrator

I have a computer desk with shelving for c.d's - I just removed the plastic c.d. frames and used it to stack my SGC-graded cards...okay, and one PSA and three SCDs...

Old 05-31-2002, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jaime Leiderman

Say not to drugs!

Can this be considered in the hall?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1832800227