NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-28-2002, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Default The registry award goes to

Posted By: David 

I just wanted to note that I find this board valuable as an information souce. While I don't ask many questions (vanity), I am always (almost always) given specific answers or otherwise useful input.

As an after thought: despite strong opinions, I'm sure many of hope that Hal wins a PSA Registry award. While I'm no fan of graded cards, Hal does own a wonderful collection, and one that I would only scoff at because I can't afford it. If he wins the award, we'll refer to him as 'The Barry Halper of the Vintage Baseball Cards Board.'

Old 03-28-2002, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: HalleyGator

The funny thing is ... that I was bound, set and determined to NEVER collect any cards made prior to 1909, because I simply did not dabble in vintage materials and had no clue what existed and what was "real." Thus, for years my collection was limited simply to "20th Century Hall of Fame Cards."

Then one day, my buddy in San Fran (Rich Jacobs) hooked me up with the old Full Count Vintage Board (which has transformed into this board over time)... and I immediately had the BEST resources of information that anyone could ever hope to find in one place!! You guys all make it so fun and easy to collect 19th century materials that I felt comfortable spending thousands of dollars on things like CdV's (which has probably transformed over time into a new sports car for Jay Miller).

Anyway ... this site and all the "coolness" of vintage materials has led me to almost ignore the rest of my HOF collection and focus solely on the 19th century stuff for the past two years. I used to think Ty Cobb was ancient ... but that was because I didn't know squat about Harry Wright!!!

Nonetheless, I probably won't win anything since those folks at PSA will give the award to all the "Merkels" of the World (the big name guys that know PSA people on a first name basis).

Maybe if they put a "weight" on the HOF sets, then I will get some notice. They have promised me that this will happen, but who knows. The problem I face now with the set unweighted is that my 1895 Amos Rusie card (darn near impossible to find) is worth just as much as a 1961 Fleer HOF reprint card of Nichols. Thus, the HOF sets all seem to kind of lump together.

And since I don't care if I win or not ... and I promise to stay the same old normal guy if I do win ... can SOMEBODY PLEASE help me get an Old Judge card of that "unnamed pipsqueak" so that I can FINALLY complete my set?????

Old 03-28-2002, 12:24 PM
Administrator

One thing is for sure: This board consists of slabbers, removers and avoiders.

DON'T HATE ME FOR BEING A "SLABBER" !!!

Old 03-28-2002, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

As long as you don't slobber

Old 03-28-2002, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Jacobs

I never knew until now that I'm responsible for Hal's addiction to pre-20th Century cards. My sincere apologies to wife and son. I suspect I've cost them more than they'll ever know.

Old 03-28-2002, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Spoken like a true collector. You will always be one of "us".....and as far as being a "slabber" I guess I am a "tweener"......part slab and part not best regards

Old 03-28-2002, 12:59 PM
Administrator

You are indeed a "tweener" ...

and some might even call you an "authentic but not graded" kind of guy ...

but that is a WHOLE 'NOTHER STORY !!!!!!!!

Old 03-28-2002, 03:16 PM
Administrator

It's good to see you actually POST, you sorry old "lurker" you!!!

Old 03-28-2002, 05:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: vorthian

<< Nonetheless, I probably won't win anything since those folks at PSA will give the award to all the "Merkels" of the World (the big name guys that know PSA people on a first name basis). >>

Hogwash, Hal! I'll be voting for you because the task you set on completing was much more tougher than merely writing a check to an auction house or three (or person/s for that matter).

When the PSA set registry was in it's early stages, I submitted some ideas that were well received (see below) because I embraced the difficulties of those that are chasing sets/cards that are not offered that often. Let's face it, it's easier to build a high-grade PSA T206 set than it is to complete a 1928 Yuengling's set.

Subj: RE: PSA SET REGISTRY
Date: 8/8/00 7:43:54 PM Pacific Daylight Time
From: bj@collectors.com (Searls, BJ) To: Vorthian@aol.com ('Vorthian@aol.com')

Steve,

Thanks for your feedback. We will be reviewing our PSA Set Registry requirements in a few months. I am keeping your email on account and will get back in touch with you. Your ideas are good.

BJ Searls
Website Director

Old 03-28-2002, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

Hal--I am merely a conduit between you and Mastro/Lipset. Your money has never stopped in Connecticut long enough to feel at home.

Old 03-29-2002, 03:57 AM
Administrator

Such is the life of a professional trader, huh Jay?

As my new broker, here is my buy order:

BUY ONE SHARE OF MCPHEE !!

Old 03-29-2002, 05:58 AM
Administrator

As a professional trader I give you this piece of advice---Never, Never leave a market order in a thin market.

Old 03-29-2002, 06:12 AM
Administrator

But I thought that you had to fill my order within 7 seconds or the trade was free?

Old 03-29-2002, 06:46 AM
Administrator

If not completely satisfied with our service, return the unused portion of our product and we will return the unused portion of your money.

Old 03-29-2002, 06:47 AM
Administrator

And as they say at the Mustang ranch---the customer always comes first.

Old 03-29-2002, 08:53 AM
Administrator

I wonder how far over to the right this thing will keep indenting if we keep responding to the same messages??

Will it eventually be one single vertical strand of words?

Old 03-29-2002, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay MIller

My computer stacks the messages up; it does not indent them.

Old 03-29-2002, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Does your computer also turn the S&P bar graph on its side so that you can show customers how the market has gone nothing but UP these last few years?

Old 03-29-2002, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Can We vote?

Can we vote more than once?

Can we vote lots of times? :) :) :) :)
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Old 03-29-2002, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Unfortunately, I only trade commodities, not equities, so I can't help you with your S&P problems unless you mean silver and platinum. If you would like a nice commodity basket for the wife for Easter let me know.

Old 03-29-2002, 12:31 PM
Administrator

he has the best all-time set (and they don't have his 2-3 new cards yet).

Old 03-29-2002, 12:35 PM
Administrator

making a long tail out of entries when Fullcountbcc went off. Each entry in a "thread" is neatl;y stacked beneath the one above it.

Sometimes the whole thread will shift to the right or left, but you can fix that with the arrows at the bottom.

Isn't everyone's like that?