NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-03-2014, 09:47 AM

Default Chadwick's 1869 Book of Reference

The Peck and Snyder trade card in the current Huggins Scott auction references the 1869 edition of Chadwick's Base Ball Player's Book of Reference, which I know has been the subject of prior discussion, but i notice it states that the book contains "seventy-five colored illustrations". While I have had and seen many Chadwick Books of Reference for other years(both wrappered and hardbound), I have never seen one with colored illustrations. If anyone has a copy and could post an example, I would love to see what one looks like. Thank you.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:03 AM
Barry Sloate

Hi Bruce- many years ago I purchased an 1867 Haney's Guide, also published by Peck & Snyder, that had affixed to its inside cover a large advertising poster, in full color, picturing sporting goods equipment that P & S had for sale. It is quite possible that the number of belts, caps, jerseys, and other assorted paraphernalia numbered around 75. It's only a guess, but that may solve the mysterey of the color illustrations.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:17 AM

Thanks Barry, I thought that might be what was being referenced, but it really sounded like it might be something different, and I hope that it is. I had just never focused on the "colored illustration" part before, and had never seen color on anything but advertisements in this kind of early book.( the color illustration in the 1864 book is nice, but just one page and not really a reference book like this) ) Funny you mention the 1867 edition as that is the one I have seen the most copies of over the years.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:37 PM
K3v1n Stru55

This ad from the 1869 New York Clipper mentions a supplement that Peck & Snyder included with their 1869 "Book of Reference." This supplement was "published for the benefit of parties wishing to order BASE BALL Uniforms &c."

I also stole an image of this 1869 supplement from one of Barry's posts from a while ago. It was obviously made to help advertise their wares.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1869 NY Clipper Ad.jpg (82.7 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg 1869 Peck and Snyder Advertising Poster.jpg (67.1 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg Huggins Chadwick Ad b.jpg (76.1 KB, 155 views)
Old 08-27-2014, 06:15 AM

Thank you. I think that must be what they referred to as colored illustrations. My hope was there might be colored illustrations of players etc., even though I knew this was unlikely.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:26 AM
Barry Sloate

Hi Kevin- that color poster was on my wall for many years. I actually excised it myself from the inside cover of a Haney Guide. There were numerous tears that had to be repaired, but because the adverising sheet had never been removed, the colors were original and pristine.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:11 AM
K3v1n Stru55

Barry - that is an amazing poster. I remember you posting about it years ago and I have been looking for one ever since. No luck so far. I imagine that it is going to be next to impossible to find one in decent shape unless it has been kept intact with the guide like your example. The ones in Kashmanian's book are pretty beat up.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:33 PM
Barry Sloate

The posters are so incredibly fragile- imagine something from 1869 made of the same brittle paper used in the guides. Also consider it had dozens of folds in order to fit inside the front cover. Given those factors, as well as the scarcity of a Haney Guide, it's possible that this one and Kashmanian's are the only ones that survived. I am not familiar with any others.

You can find, however, early guides with hand colored illustrations, as well as old Peck & Snyder catalogs with color pages. I had both when I collected and they are of the same quality as the poster, but the individual pages are too small to frame.

Last edited by barrysloate; 08-27-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:37 PM
K3v1n Stru55

Barry - I had no idea that they paper was the same that was in the guides. Your poster was so nice that it looked like it was printed on some sort of special stock.

Kashmanian actually has two different posters pictured in his book. One takes up a full page while the other's picture is much smaller, so it is easy to miss. It is interesting that each of his have Peck & Snyder advertising on them with different addresses: 105 Nassau (which would date it 1868 or before) and 126 Nassau St., (which would date it at 1869 or after). Yours came from the 1869 Guide, which if my research is correct, would have had the 22 Ann St. address if it had the Peck & Snyder advertising.

Last edited by Baseball Rarities; 08-27-2014 at 10:17 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:44 PM
Barry Sloate

Mine did not say Peck and Snyder on it, but if I remember my history (and I do forget things) Chadwick published the guide until 1868, then P & S bought it in 1869. Does that sound correct?

And yes, the paper was incredibly thin and low quality stock. I guess the posters were not made to last very long.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:16 PM
K3v1n Stru55

Barry - Haney & Co. Publishers published the guide from 1866 until 1868 and then Peck & Snyder Publishers took over in 1869 and continued until 1872. Chadwick was the editor for the entire time. Somewhere in 1869 advertisements changed from calling it "Haney's Base Ball Book of Reference" to Chadwick's "The Base Ball Players' Book of Reference" - note the exclusion of the word "Haney's" and the inclusion of the word "Players'" in the title. Obviously, the title with reference to "Haney's" preceded the other.

BTW, I have no idea where Kashmanian's supplements originated - I assume from one of the guides also, but they make no mention of the "Base Ball Player's Book of Reference" like yours did. Then again, if you had not actually taken your supplement out of a 1869 guide, then we probably would have never known where it actually came from.

Last edited by Baseball Rarities; 08-27-2014 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:48 AM
Barry Sloate

Thanks Kevin for the clarification. I knew there was an ownership change in 1869, but got some of my facts wrong. I agree that without taking the poster out of the book myself, it would be difficult to know its origin. It did have all the very visible folds in it, so one could have certainly guessed it was placed inside the cover of a book.

But here's one other thing I vaguely remember: Somewhere in the back of the Haney Guide, among the black and white advertisements, was mention of a color supplement that was included. However, you would have had to have seen that to make the connection. Some detective work would be necessary to connect a loose poster to the guide, but it could be done.