NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-25-2007, 05:53 AM
Administrator

Default Remembering our troops at Christmas

Posted By: Greg Theberge

Hey Guys,

First off, hope everyone has a Merry Christmas to those that celebrate it!

Second, thought I would show you a recent acquistition. While it may not be all that exciting to most, for a RI brewery collector this is pretty cool, especially seeing that it's for the 1946 WS season. But better than that, what I thought was really special was the story that went with it. This schedule was found in the wallet of an gentleman who served during WW2. I thought I would share his story as I'm thinking of our troops overseas who won't be home celebrating the holiday. It's so important to remember everyone serving out there over the years.

Anyway, here's the story that goes with the schedule.

Hello Greg...
About my Dad. He quit high school in his senior year to join the army. He joined in 1938 when he was 16 years old with his mothers written permission. His father died of pneumonia when my Dad was 6 years old. My father was one of 11 children so you see, back then during the depression, it must have been really tough for one woman to raise 11 children. This was one big reason for my Dad joining the army.
When D-Day arrived, he was on one of the first 4 landing crafts to hit Utah beach during the fist wave. I remember him telling me over the years that when the ramp dropped, he saw nothing but water. He was proximately 1/2 mile from the beach. By the time he was 1/2 way to the beach, he was running through nothing but dead body's.
My father was involved in all 5 major battles during the European theater and was awarded a battle star for each one. He has also received 2 silver stars. He was awarded 3 purple hearts, but turned them down. He turned down every promotion that was ever offered to him only because it could be taken away as easily as given. He was awarded paratrooper wings for training with the Rangers.
He was a medic who served under General Eisenhower, although it wasn't direct. His outfit was known as the bastard patrol. He, along with 12 others, would be ahead of the rest of the outfit as scouts and clear the path for the rest so to speak. Didn't sound like much fun to me.
13 men in his unit went into WW2 in D-Day, 12 men came home. My father, along with the other 12, landed on Utah Beach during the first wave, and was on the last fleet to come home after Germany surrendered. All had plenty of points to come home much sooner, but all elected to stay for the duration. They all faced enemy fire more times than not because the bastard 13 spent more time behind enemy lines than any other unit. Not only to scout, but to also go back to retrieve the dead.
The only member who didn't make it home died a strange fate. When one member of the bastard 13 when on R&R, they all did. The fir
st time in over 8 months they were pulled back for R&R, they stayed in Paris once it was liberated. For the first time in ages, the men slept in actual bunks instead of on the ground. One man rolled over and fell out of the top bunk splitting his head open on the cement floor and died shortly after. My Dad told me that of all the death and bloodshed he saw, that death was the worst for him to deal with.
I could go on forever about my Dad but I don't want to bore you too much. If you want to know more, I'll do my best. Anyway's, Your item will be sent on Wednesday. I sure hope you will be pleased with it...

Obviously, this little piece is something special.

Have a great holiday guys.

Greg

Old 12-25-2007, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike H

Thank you so much for sharing that Greg. That is what I call memorabilia with a capital M. What a treasure.

Old 12-25-2007, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Thanks for sharing....

Memorabilia value - $100

Great Patriotic Story- priceless

Happy holidays and take care....

Old 12-25-2007, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Simeone

Greg,
That was a great story thanks for sharing! Im sure that little schedule has just found a great home for a very long time! Happy Holidays To All.!!!!!!!!

Old 12-25-2007, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Thanks for sharing. That's a great item.