NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-09-2015, 08:39 PM
Bry@n

Default Does Declared Value Impact Grading with TPGs?

Hypothetical situation:

I submit a card to PSA that I think it will grade between 2.5 - 3.5 (+/- 0.5 for good/bad luck). At 2.5 it is a $425 card but at 3.5 it is $600. PSA's tiers are $17 per card for <$500 declared value and $35 per card for $500 - $1,999 declared value.

If I submit at the $17 level am I less likely to get a 3.0 or 3.5 than if I had submitted it for $35?
Old 10-09-2015, 09:57 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Good question....

Bryan,

This is a question I used to think about but after having many cards (hundreds) graded by all 3 TPGs, I have not found this to be the case.

Understand that you are simply assigning a value for the return trip to you. If you value the card at $500 and it grades high and is "really" now valued at $3000 and it got lost.......you would be re-imbursed for the $500 that you claimed it was worth.

You are not grading the cards, the TPGs are and the graders theoretically have no idea what you valued your card at nor would they have the time to cross reference this info.

I think you probably knew all of that but just wanted someone else's take on it. I do not believe it affects the grading whatsoever.

IMO, thanks, Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 10-09-2015 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:57 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Bryan, in your example, it doesn't matter. It won't affect the grade. Basically what will happen is if your card grades at a level where it should've been at a higher service tier, PSA will contact you, and say that because this card was given this grade, you will need to pay the difference to put the card at the next service tier. (If the card came w/ others at that same service level, it can still be sent in the same return shipping package.) Since the card got the higher grade, you will be happy to pay that extra charge. I read about this occurring on the PSA forum where someone got a 1986 Fleer Jordan graded a 10. The submitter was very happy to pay the extra charge, of course.

In addition, if the card is borderline, they won't charge you extra. For example, if you submit the card at the under $500 level, and after grading, according to VCP, the card's value is ~$700, they're not going to charge you the next service tier's grading fee. It would only be if the new value is substantial like the $3000 in your example.

If it's obvious that the card does not belong in that tier, then I think the TPG will contact you even before they grade the card. For example, if you are submitting T206 Planks at the declared value under $100 level, the TPG will contact you and say you need to move this card to a different submission.

Last edited by glchen; 10-09-2015 at 11:59 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:17 AM
Glyn Parson

Default I submit

a lot of cards and have for a long time (to PSA). i have not scene it (declared value) effect the grade at all.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:30 AM

Historically with PSA if I submit it at the $17 service level I get it for $17. If I submit it at $5.50 service level, I get bulk service. I do my best not to try and screw them over $100 here and there though.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:32 PM
je.sse @rnot

I have been told by PSA that it does not affect the grade, and the declared value should be what you feel it's worth raw.

If the value of the graded card is substantially higher you can pay extra to have it insured on the trip back to you for the new value.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:30 PM
Bry@n

Thanks for the feedback guys, I was hoping to see these types of responses. To be clear, my question was not an accusation but rather something I was pondering as someone who is new to submitting cards to TPGs.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:24 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys, I was hoping to see these types of responses. To be clear, my question was not an accusation but rather something I was pondering as someone who is new to submitting cards to TPGs.
I do believe PSA, from what I have been told, is protective of giving out super high grades on important cards.....even when they could be warranted. I would imagine the other TPG's do the same. Just a guess.....
Old 10-14-2015, 11:55 PM
Steve Birmingham

I asked pretty much the same question when I did my first small batch through SGC. It was in person drop off at a show, so asking was really easy.

They looked at them and said "mid grade T206s , put $100 each" Simple as that. They came back all over the place, best was an 84, worst was one that was ungraded for having rough cuts top and bottom. Probably would have been an A but I checked the "don't slab as A" box.

Steve B
Old 10-16-2015, 04:21 PM
Larry

Very interesting post--I'd often wondered about it.

Best, Larry