NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-15-2010, 01:46 PM

Default S74 silks - whew!

Just back from SGC two S74 Silks I submitted for crossover.

My heart raced as I saw the package from Parsippany. Rejoice! Hooray! Enjoy the pics of the silks in their new holders!

I picked them up years ago raw. Neither PSA nor SGC graded them at the time, so off to GAI. Then the GAI reputation collapsed. Just recently has SGC started to grade them, still not PSA. Thank goodness I had a good (and lucky) eye when I originally bought them.

Matty was GAI 7, now SGC 80. And Johnson was GAI 6, now SGC 60 - Both met my min. grade stipulation of SGC 60 EX 5. A couple of the nicest colored silks I have ever seen - stars Matty & W.Johnson to boot - WooHoo!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Silks.jpg (73.7 KB, 395 views)
Old 11-15-2010, 01:59 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Wow

Congrats on those 2. An 80 is almost never seen.....and a high end Johnson. A very tough silk from the set. Great "cards"....thanks for showing them.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:58 PM
Mike Dugan

One of my many regrets in a long hobby history is a group of S74s I let get away 25 years ago.

One afternoon I mentioned to a lady living across the street that I collected baseball cards. She asked me to hold on a moment and quickly returned with an old water pitcher with 62 S74 silks inside. At the time I did not know exactly what they were but paid her $100.00 (at $20 a week) for the group.

There were 8 HOFers in the lot. I only kept them about 3 months before a huge trade with John E. from Ft. Worth for T206s. It was a more than fair trade for me but I did not even keeper a type example for my collection.

I know at the time John had a wonderful collection but never heard from him again. He drove 5 hours to make the trade. I hate to name the fellow without his permission, Leon or Rich do you know who I am talking about.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:12 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Of course....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers View Post
One of my many regrets in a long hobby history is a group of S74s I let get away 25 years ago.

One afternoon I mentioned to a lady living across the street that I collected baseball cards. She asked me to hold on a moment and quickly returned with an old water pitcher with 62 S74 silks inside. At the time I did not know exactly what they were but paid her $100.00 (at $20 a week) for the group.

There were 8 HOFers in the lot. I only kept them about 3 months before a huge trade with John E. from Ft. Worth for T206s. It was a more than fair trade for me but I did not even keeper a type example for my collection.

I know at the time John had a wonderful collection but never heard from him again. He drove 5 hours to make the trade. I hate to name the fellow without his permission, Leon or Rich do you know who I am talking about.
Hi there
Most likely it is my good friend John Esch you are speaking of. A finer gentleman in the hobby, I am unaware of. A fantastic, original type collection too. (Not "types" he is a set collector) I don't think he minds being mentioned though he keeps a very low profile. Think of him as the opposite of me . I have seen some of his collection but I don't think I saw those, or at least I don't remember them. There was so much there I can't remember it all. I remember John telling me of the time he acquired his E107's, they ran him under 20 bucks a piece, I believe.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:15 PM
Brian T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I remember John telling me of the time he acquired his E107's, they ran him under 20 bucks a piece, I believe.
drool...
Old 11-15-2010, 07:32 PM
Jimmy

Default S74 silks - whew!

I have had many of these, and always like seeing more, great silks!

Jimmy
Old 11-15-2010, 08:01 PM
Mike Dugan

Leon- It certainly was John Esch, and you are right, a really nice guy though my time with him was limited. I did not want to name him since I really have not had any other contact with him.

If you run into him please ask if he remembers the trade. We met in Little Rock at a Holiday Inn. I think I received around 135 T206s at the time. It helped put me over the 400 mark at the time. I do remember that he received a scarce color of Cy Young.

I believe at that time John's firm did quite a bit if business with the Rangers?
Old 11-15-2010, 09:58 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default the trade

Hi Mike
I sure will ask him if he remembers. He probably does. Yes, I believe he has done some accounting business with the Rangers before. He's a very well respected TCU alumni too, I believe. Just a super nice gentleman that I always enjoy speaking with.

While we are on the subject, here is my modest type collection of S74s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ps74master2.jpg (76.9 KB, 233 views)

Last edited by Leon; 11-15-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:20 AM

Default approximate value ?

With these type of oddball items, it is hard to place a value on them - kinda all depends on the auction and who is bidding.

Would you think these silks are value comparable to similar designed T205 cards? Higher or lower?

Example - A T205 Matty in SGC 80 worth more or less than the S74 Colored Silk of Matty in SGC 80 ?

Thanks.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:57 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default much rarer but.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post
With these type of oddball items, it is hard to place a value on them - kinda all depends on the auction and who is bidding.

Would you think these silks are value comparable to similar designed T205 cards? Higher or lower?

Example - A T205 Matty in SGC 80 worth more or less than the S74 Colored Silk of Matty in SGC 80 ?

Thanks.
An SGC 80 S74 is much more rare than a T205 in an 80 holder. That being said the value for the S74 will, most times, be much lower due to decreased demand. Always, always, always remember the demand side of the value equation is more important than the scarcity side. As a person who specializes in scarce and/or rare cards, I know the drill all to well. There is no way to pinpoint a value on the S74 Matty in an 80 holder as there are no comparative sales. I would guess it would be in the $500-$1000 range...The Johnson S74 is more scarce, from what I have seen, and it's value could be in the 500-750 range...again, just guessing...... best regards
Old 11-17-2010, 03:11 PM

Wow congrats...those are really great grades...tough tough tough! Congrats!