NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-11-2005, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Default Des Moines team cabinet

Posted By: ramram

Thought I'd share an interesting recent Ebay pick up.

Below is a clearer scan than you may have seen on the Ebay auction. Many of the faces may be familiar from their representatives in the Old Judge set but I'm not quite sure yet as to who is who. The players are superimposed in front of a game-in-progress shot from their ballpark, "Athletic Park". As you can tell, the photographer has washed the player's legs out below the knees to make them appear to be standing in the grass. This image dovetails with the recent cabinet card of the 1888 Des Moines team from the REA auction (second image below) and Trevor's massive imperial cabinet of this same image (third image below) [Trevor - I hope you don't mind me showing this]. All three images have the same game-in-progress shot within them.

I believe my image may be from the 1887 season as that is Des Moines first team. In the REA image you can see that the Photographer is LaRoche - "Successors to Boyd". The image I have is by Boyd which obviously places it before LaRoche's 1888 image.

Old 05-11-2005, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Rob-Was that imperial cabinet cut that way to house the corresponding Old Judges, or was that something just done in photoshop? Neat pickup, by the way. Interesting how the photographer constructed that cabinet image.

Old 05-11-2005, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Barry -
The imperial is Trevors...or at least I think he still has it. He apparently just used Photoshop to show the corresponding Old Judge cards along with their photo depiction on the imperial.

Old 05-11-2005, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Hello
Not to be rude or anything, but may I ask what you gave for it on E-bay....I live in IA and am always on the lookout for some examples of some material of the Des Moines and the Sioux City teams.
Thanks

Old 05-11-2005, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: craig

oh well great pickup. at first glance i thought that was the one that trevor owns. after comparison i determined it wasn't, just another that has surfaced. i have a couple other boyd des moines baseball photos as well a few of la roche's. as far as i have been able to determine, la roche bought out boyd's studio in late october or early september 1887. however by august 1888 la roche left des moines to photograph the klondike gold rush. when he left he sold his studio back to the boyds. hope that helps you in the dating. if you would like i can email some of the images that i have of the 87-88 boyd & la roche photos.

craig

Old 05-11-2005, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Thanks Craig. I'd love to see the other cabinets. Can you post on here? If not, email me and I'll post them for you (rmorgan4@kc.rr.com).

You're information about the LaRoches and Boyds is interesting. I guess that means that the image I have does not necessarily predate LaRoche's if Boyd bought the studio back. Makes me scratch my head as to what year it might then be.

Below is yet another version:

Old 05-11-2005, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Jacobs

Rob: I won the 1888 Des Moines cabinet from REA, and all I can tell you is that it is even more spectacular in person than from the catalogue. The catalogue suggested that it might be unique. I emailed both Barry Sloate and Lew Lipset asking whether they had seen another. Barry responded that he had not, but Lew said he had had two very detailed Des Moines cabinets in his collection "in his prime." Rob Lifson said he believed the one I bought came from Lew's collection via George Lyons' collection (the purchase included a 1978 Trader Speaks with the cabinet on the cover, and an inside story identified as being in Lyons' collection).

It may well be that Trevor's is the other one Lew described. Has anyone seen either in any other context?

Old 05-11-2005, 08:13 PM
Administrator

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5191484126&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

Old 05-12-2005, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam J. Moraine

I am from Des Moines, Iowa and I think the cabinet photo is AWESOME!

Best Regards,

Adam J. Moraine

Old 05-12-2005, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: craig

adam

i'm also from dm. maybe we could meet up and do some trading or catch a cubbie game.

craig

Old 05-12-2005, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Thanks for the link....Some really great examples posted on here !!