NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-20-2009, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Default Paypal account hacked............

Posted By: JB

If you have a paypal account please be vigilant. Yesterday i had a payment sent to the UK for almost $400...........Paypal was already aware and had opened a suspicious payment case already. I had to contact my bank first thing this morning to try to stop payment. The bank basically said until it posts tomorrow nothing could be done. The worst part is very little was taken from Paypal, the rest straight from my bank account. I only log into Paypal via their website and am always careful, apparently sometimes there is nothing you can do. Just a heads up guys, be careful and keep an eye on your funds.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

I use paypal but I try to use the paypal buyer credit when I do my transactions. Is there anyway to disconnect the bank account from the paypal account or would it be best to try to have an account with a minimal balance connected to paypal? If it were possible the best scenario would be to keep about $10 in the account and transfer funds to that account if neccessary.

Some how I get the feeling that the failed new N54 website and this are linked! Leon? What did you do? happy.gif (NOTE THE SMILEY FACE LEON!!!!)

Old 04-20-2009, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

Fred,

I'm sure you were kidding, but based on the history of this board, there is zero chance that this will be blamed on the new board and/or Leon.

There is, however, a very good likelihood of the problem being blamed on Mastro, PSA, SGC, the hated Republicans, those heathen Democrats, Christians, Athesists, Jews, Banks and Financial Institutions, Bush, Clinton, Obama, Ebay, or Paypal themselves.

There is no shortage of suspects.

happy.gif

Old 04-20-2009, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony S.

Jim,

You forgot Rosicrucians.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: D. Bergin

It's amazing how little help banks are when it comes to situations like this.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

I had to edit someone. I also omitted the Masons, and Opus Dei.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brock

Last month my dad's paypal account got hijacked and was used to buy two laptops that totaled for over $3,000. I was able to stop the one from being mailed but i was to late on the other. Paypal was able to get my money back for both things, but i think the seller never got the laptop back.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

Jim,

I think we can't forget that it could have been "the sport-o's, motorheads, geeks, sluts, waistoids, bloods, dweebies, dickheads." Movie quote!

happy.gif

Old 04-20-2009, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt E.

I keep very little in my "baseball card checking account" connected to Paypal. However I transfer larger amounts from savings to checking when needed. If somebody did hack my Paypal account and get to my checking I would not lose that much.

Can anyone confirm this is a little safer keeping my funds in savings and moving them when needed? Anyone else do this?

Thanks,

Matt

Old 04-20-2009, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Dwyer

Most banks provide overdraft protection at no charge. Whatever account your use, it shouldn't have extra funds or overdraft protection. I had to shut down an account one time thanks to Paypal double billing mistakes. Be warned.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John V

I'm a little rusty on this topic, but my initial reaction is that your account is well protected under Regulation E. In most cases, you are not responsible for unauthorized transactions that post to your account, when reported promptly to your bank.
More tomorrow.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:07 AM
Administrator

The bank credited my money back as the dispute investigation continues. Per Paypal, there is no way no make a credit card your primary backup source for all your transactions. You can do it per each transaction, but it cant be your default backup source. Like in my case there was no money in my Paypal account so they deducted it straight from my checking account. Paypal "claims" they are trying to remedy this scenario.

JB

Old 04-21-2009, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

The easiest way for a hacker to access any of your accounts (ebay, paypal, etc) is to hack your main email account. Once they have your email they can easily get your paypal other accounts password simply by clicking the I forgot my password and having it emailed to them (your email account). Diligently change your email password and use VERY TOUGH Passwords on your email account. Keep that safe and your other accounts will be safer!

marty

Old 04-21-2009, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John V

One final post for those who are uncertain about PayPal. You have 60 days to file a claim with your bank for an "unauthorized" PayPal transaction posted to your checking or savings. Your bank should promptly credit your account for the amount in question.

If someone at your bank tells you otherwise, you are talking to the wrong person, or better yet, you may want to find another bank.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

If your bank provides for it, use their automatic notification service for the account so you receive an email any time there is a withdrawal.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 04-21-2009, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian T.

Thanks for the Ferris Bueller throw back, Fred!

"They all adore him! They think he's a righteous dude."

Old 04-22-2009, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Al

Just curious...was (or is) your password to your paypal account on the short side in terms of length, or was it long and convoluted?
I've changed all my passwords to max length and a mixture of characters and letters. I understand this helps to add some protection from the hackers.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:45 AM
Administrator

It was 10 characters, a mixture of letters and numbers . No DOB, ss#.........none of that. I feel they bypassed the whole PASSWORD login area of Paypal. How? Not sure, but i am taking measures into my own hands so that this will not happen this way again.
JB