NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 04-17-2018, 11:08 AM
Michael

Default Auto Collection advice

I am giving serious consideration to selling my collection or at least 90% of it. It is probably worth $1,000,000, maybe more. The majority can be viewed at https://www.flickr.com/photos/157337964@N04/albums
That doesn't include a few thousand post 1960 autographed cards of HOFers or future HOFers as collection has over 100 Koufax and 30-50 signed cards of most HOFers who played in the 1950s and onward as well as say 50 different Ichiro, maybe 100 different each on common HOFers- Brooks R, etc even about 50 Mantle. Amazing multisigned card collection.
Would listen to a serious buyer
Would you if you were me
1) Consign to a AH- they'd put many in lots that wouldn't get optimum price
2) Let rich collectors cheery pick it on items they are willing to overpay on?
3) Look for one wealthy seller willing to buy it all
Then the 2nd major set of questions is considering I have been doing serious buying since 2002, and haven't kept receipts etc how would you look at it all from a tax standpoint.
I haven't decided to do this yet but am considering a major change of lifestyle where the collection can become more of a burden than a joy.
Thanks in advance for all your advice
Old 04-17-2018, 03:44 PM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

I will tackle the second question since I am a CPA-IF you decide to declare any money received on your taxes, it would be as a long term capital gain. You would be paying taxes and the price sold less the (estimated) cost to acquire.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:25 AM
D@vid Fel@

You have some amazing items in your collection. I would guess breaking it up would return more money. There are certainly some cards I would over pay for individually while I probably wouldn’t even bid if they were part of a larger lot of cards.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:11 AM

You would be crazy to sell them as a single lot. You'll never get the value they deserve. Breaking them up is the way to go.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:04 AM
Jeff Lazarus

I'm sure there are many items you would get more for here than you would after buyer's premium at an auction house.

I looked through some of your collection and it's incredible!
Old 04-18-2018, 08:17 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

My thought would be to give the "big boy" examples to one of the major auction houses but don't have them put all of it in the same auction. Have them spread it out a bit. Outside of the top, say, 5 or 10% that you give to a major auction house, then send the rest to a lesser one that specializes in such things and can get good individual prices on $25-500 items. I used Sig Auctions for this purpose and they did very well for me. I was very happy with them. They will spread the collection out over a bunch of months or even a year or more if need be, and they get very solid prices on items within this price range.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:18 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Oh...and give me first crack at the Stargell cards that I need!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!

!
Old 04-18-2018, 10:31 AM
Chuck Tapia

holy schnikies....what a collection. NICE! Sell Mortimer, Sell!

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 04-18-2018 at 10:32 AM.