NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 05-10-2019, 01:06 PM
Robert Williams

Question Missing card shipped in PWE.

I recently bought a card off Ebay for $3.04. The seller shipped it in a PWE. After a week later, I HAVE NOT received the card. The guy is accusing me of scamming him and left me a real snarky message. Guys, I promise you, I am not scamming him. I seriously don't have the card. Have any of you had good/bad luck getting cards shipped to you in PWE's?
Old 05-10-2019, 01:18 PM
Dave

A week is probably not enough time to consider a card lost. I don't know if you paid for tracking but as you already probably know, you've got plenty of time to get your money back from Ebay if the card never shows up.

I did just receive a set of boxing cards thrown loose in a bubble envelope with no backing board or holder for the cards, other then a piece of bubble wrap. That was kind of annoying even though the cards looked like they didn't suffer any the worse for it.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:38 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
A week is probably not enough time to consider a card lost. I don't know if you paid for tracking but as you already probably know, you've got plenty of time to get your money back from Ebay if the card never shows up.

I did just receive a set of boxing cards thrown loose in a bubble envelope with no backing board or holder for the cards, other then a piece of bubble wrap. That was kind of annoying even though the cards looked like they didn't suffer any the worse for it.
I guess I don't have a good handle for how long it takes to ship PWE's.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:13 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I recently bought a card off Ebay for $3.04. The seller shipped it in a PWE. After a week later, I HAVE NOT received the card. The guy is accusing me of scamming him and left me a real snarky message. Guys, I promise you, I am not scamming him. I seriously don't have the card. Have any of you had good/bad luck getting cards shipped to you in PWE's?
Why would a person try to scam someone out of $3? Seems ridiculous that he would even go there. Give it more time, It'll probably show up eventually.

Once I had an Ebay buyer ask if he could pay by money order then sent me $200 cash in a PWE. Thats crazy.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:05 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Pwe

It's three bucks. You knew it was coming in a PWE. Forget about it and move on.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:57 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

I just wanted to throw my $.02 in on the PWE shipping.

I deal mainly with tickets and for tickets under $30 I usually mail them in PWE. But I wanted to give everyone a heads up on doing this.

When you mail in padded envelopes they go first class and get tracking for free. They also get HAND SORTED and put a bar code sticker on it at the counter so there is never any issues if you put in some cardboard or extra padding.

When you mail in PWE the envelope gets MACHINE SORTED. OK here is what you need to remember, the machine that it goes through puts a small bar code at the bottom on the envelope to help in machine sorting. The letters must pass through a narrow slot to go through this process. IF YOU PUT TOO MUCH PADDING IN THE EVELOPE IT WILL GET STUCK AND DAMAGED! Cardboard will almost always cause an issues. The best thing to do is use postcard type paper on both side of the card and only put it in a flimsy type loader. I also tape it to one of the postcards to keep it from flopping around.

So remember if you are usuaing padded envelopes, go crazy with protection. If using PWE stay skinny or you seriously risk dammage in the machines! I got a PWE last month that was torn and nothing in it! They lost 4 rare tickets because the machine ate it up.

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 05-12-2019, 05:58 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I deal with one seller on ebay that uses PWEs and, so far, I've received all of them...but when I leave positive feedback, I dock him stars...and, if even one doesn't arrive, I will drop him.

No card sold for $3.04 is worth 'fretting' over.

I say drop the seller and get the card elsewhere.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 05-12-2019, 06:45 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:

He thinks I am scamming....hell, for all I know HE is scamming!!! He might have sold it at a card show and just didn't have it to ship. Just have never had an item NOT show up......that's all.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:32 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I guess I don't have a good handle for how long it takes to ship PWE's.
Like most other things lately, it's pretty random. One might get from California to mass in a couple days, one sent from in Mass might take a couple weeks.

When I was doing a lot of Ebay, I had some odd situations.
One buyer was asking about where his card was. He hadn't paid yet.

Another sent his payment in an envelope he got from his electric bill. An envelope that was pre- bar coded with the electric companies address. I figured that out after he sent a replacement and a couple days later his electric company asked him if he wanted the $10 check he wrote to someone else back.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:40 AM
Rob Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
I deal with one seller on ebay that uses PWEs and, so far, I've received all of them...but when I leave positive feedback, I dock him stars...and, if even one doesn't arrive, I will drop him.

Just curious if he advertises that it is shipped PWE? If so, why are you docking him stars? You are choosing to purchase knowing that beforehand. If not, disregard.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:11 AM
Tony Ooten

I've been listing a lot of cards at $2, $3, $4 (free shipping)- some of them even sell!

I mail those in a top loader and PWE. I also state that I will do so in the descriptions.

When I receive feedback, it's typically within less than a week after mailing.

I've sold dozens (maybe 120 or so) since last fall. Only twice has anyone contacted me saying they didn't receive the card.

first time was in January and I also had several more expensive cards out with tracking, so I was able to report that I had a couple that spent 4 or 5 weeks of postal travel and finally arrived. So, I asked the person to give it 4 or 5 weeks. That one finally arrived.

second time was recently.... I asked that person to give it 4 or 5 weeks and if it doesn't arrive I will happily refund. I need to check in with them

Haven't had any not show up yet, knock on wood.

I only use PWE on amounts I wouldn't mind losing and would not argue about a refund.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:07 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
I've been listing a lot of cards at $2, $3, $4 (free shipping)- some of them even sell!

I mail those in a top loader and PWE. I also state that I will do so in the descriptions.

When I receive feedback, it's typically within less than a week after mailing.

I've sold dozens (maybe 120 or so) since last fall. Only twice has anyone contacted me saying they didn't receive the card.

first time was in January and I also had several more expensive cards out with tracking, so I was able to report that I had a couple that spent 4 or 5 weeks of postal travel and finally arrived. So, I asked the person to give it 4 or 5 weeks. That one finally arrived.

second time was recently.... I asked that person to give it 4 or 5 weeks and if it doesn't arrive I will happily refund. I need to check in with them

Haven't had any not show up yet, knock on wood.

I only use PWE on amounts I wouldn't mind losing and would not argue about a refund.
Good deal....the one that brought this about eventually showed up as well....it had a cancellation stamp in RALEIGH like the day before it actually arrived (seller was in California).....
Old 05-24-2019, 07:30 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherfan View Post
Just curious if he advertises that it is shipped PWE? If so, why are you docking him stars? You are choosing to purchase knowing that beforehand. If not, disregard.
Just now reading this thread, but that's what I was thinking too. I'm curious as well.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:49 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherfan View Post
Even if the seller ships in a PWE and says so in the auction, he still should not accuse buyers of scamming when item does not arrive.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:48 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
Even if the seller ships in a PWE and says so in the auction, he still should not accuse buyers of scamming when item does not arrive.
Bingo....not all buyers are pieces of excrement. I know some pounce on postal mistakes involving scans and love claiming cards don't arrive to get free cards. Not everyone though. I sure don't.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:38 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
Jim, you're reading this wrong. Rob's response (and mine too) was not about Bobby's situation. Rob was asking Clydepepper why he would ding a seller's stars for shipping in a PWE when the listing stated that's how it would be shipped. Different seller, different situation than Bobby's.

Re-read the posts.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 05-24-2019 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:48 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Jim, you're reading this wrong. Rob's response (and mine too) was not about Bobby's situation. Rob was asking Clydepepper why he would ding a seller's stars for shipping in a PWE when the listing stated that's how it would be shipped. Different seller, different situation than Bobby's.

Re-read the posts.
Fair enough.
Old 07-04-2019, 04:52 PM
Wayne V

Some pretty big sellers on EBay go the pwe route. They figure they will come out ahead with the money they save on tracking, and just take the loss on the very few items that get misplaced. The post office isn't perfect, but it's very rare when an item sent never turns up.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:06 PM
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonballsun View Post
Some pretty big sellers on EBay go the pwe route. They figure they will come out ahead with the money they save on tracking, and just take the loss on the very few items that get misplaced. The post office isn't perfect, but it's very rare when an item sent never turns up.

I posted a story on the main forum last week about a T205 that showed up last month, that I mailed in 2009.