NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-08-2006, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Default Clemente photo question a bit OT

Posted By: Damian

I have the opportunity to buy an original photo dated 10/8/54 of Roberto Clemente, Bob Thurman, and an unknown player. The trio are posed left to right with unknown, Thurman, and Clemente in their Santurce (I think I have the spelling correct ) uniforms from Puerto Rico. The photo is in nice shape framed and matted. What would a photo like this be worth. Side note is that the photo is signed by Thurman. Thanks for you help.

Damian

Old 02-08-2006, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

The value of a photo is based much on the quality of the image-- artistry, clarity, etc.

Original "Pre-rookie" photos of players, such as a young Clemente in Puerto Rico uniform or Mickey Mantle in the minors, are generally desirable and scarce. I can promise you that there are a many, many times more original photos showing Clemente in Pittsburgh Pirates uniform than in a Puerto Rican uniform.

Old 02-08-2006, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: andy

Not sure about the value of the photo but that was a great team. This pinback is from 1949-53 - One article I read said these line-ups were among the best ever put together. Mays was also on the team with Clemente.

Old 02-09-2006, 02:42 AM
Administrator

Andy,

That pin is in really nice shape. Do you know what "Cangrejeros" translates to. I have trouble with English let alone Spanish.

Old 02-09-2006, 06:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Counts

My understanding is that it means "Crabs." Ebbets Field Flannels makes a throwback jersey. It looks just like a Dodgers uniform, but like the Cardinals, it also has a bat on it. Instead of Redbirds, two crabs sit perched on the bat ...

Old 02-09-2006, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: andy

Crabs is correct. Do you mind sharing what the asking price is on the photo you may acquire? I'm just curious.

Old 02-09-2006, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

"Cangrejeros" is actually "Crabbers".

The photo is from right before the start of the 1954-55 season. The other player could obviously be anyone on the team, but since Clemente and Thurman were both stars, the other player was probably also a star. Here are the most likely possibilities:

* If it's a black guy with glasses, it's probably George Crowe (#17).

* If it looks like Willie Mays, it's probably Willie Mays (#24).

* If it's a black guy with a rounder, almost chubby face, it's probably Buster Clarkson (#33). I can't remember an image of him with his hat pulled down low, so the hat should sort of be pointing up a bit and be kind of high on his forehead.

* If it's a smaller Hispanic guy with kind of big ears that looks like that Giants pitcher on those 1950's Topps cards, it's probably Ruben Gomez (#22).

Crowe, Mays and Clarkson, along with Clemente and Thurman, made up Puerto Rico's Murderer's Row. The 1954-55 Santurce team may have had the best lineup in the history of the league. Gomez was the ace of the pitching staff.

Those are the most likely candidates. Here are a few more, but they are less likely than the 4 above:

#12 Dick Seay
#14 Valmy Thomas
#18 Bill Greason
#32 Monchile Concepcion
#37 Sam Jones

Hope that helps,

-Ryan

Old 02-09-2006, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bobw

A photo and caption from a latin baseball site on the Internet

Willie Mays, Roberto Clemente, Buster Clarkson, Bob Thurman and George Crowe known as "Panic Squadron" of the Santurce team that won the Caribbean World Series in 1955 in Venezuela.

Old 02-09-2006, 08:50 PM
Administrator

That's a hell of a lot of interesting info on the Cangrejeros. I had no idea there was such a team let alone that it was loaded with such talent. May have opened up a whole new can of interest for me. I will take your info and try to determine who the third unknown is. To the question of price, I'd rather ask what a low to high range would be to pay for the item. Thanks all.

Damian

Old 02-15-2006, 07:29 AM
Administrator

I have pitures of the photo I took with my mother's digital camera and had her e-mail them to me. I don't know how to get them from the e-mail to post here. When I try to save them to my computer to post they appear as a bunch of computer jargon as apposed to pictures. If anyone knows how to post them I can forward them the e-mail and they could post. Any help is appreciated as I would like opinions as well as help identifing the third player in the pic. Thanks.

Damian

Old 02-15-2006, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Damian,

I'll take a look if you e-mail the pic to ryan@cubanbaseballcards.com

-Ryan

Old 02-15-2006, 11:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: andypcl

Let's see if this works...

Old 02-15-2006, 11:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: andypcl

That's a great pic,

Old 02-16-2006, 04:55 AM
Administrator

Just when I think I am beginning to be friends with my computer, I find out it doesn't like me as much as I thought. I really appreciate you taking the time to post those for me. Opinions anyone on value and who is the player on the far left?

Damian

Old 02-16-2006, 06:18 AM
Administrator

Damian,

I just sent you an e-mail about your photo. That's Artie Wilson with Thurman an Clemente.

-Ryan