NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-19-2002, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Default Non-Vintage Baseball Threads

Posted By: Elliot 

This came up on another thread, and I thought it was something that should be discussed.

Here's my thoughts on this subject, and I value your comments.

You will notice that I did not delete that person's post, but instead answered it, however I did dissuade him from posting again on this topic, as I do not want to see the board being populated by numerous non-vintage, non baseball questions. Having said that, I, too enjoy reading about other cards, and as many of you are aware collect hockey cards (surprise, surprise, for a Canadian).

I think that the subject matter should be clearly labelled in the Title, so that readers who are not interested can skip over it (the post that started this discussion did not do that) and as always, leniency will be given to regular posters, as opposed to lurkers and others.

In the sub-heading of the forum, it says "primarily" and I think as long as we stick we this,there should be no problem.

Elliot

Old 12-20-2002, 05:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Albie O'Hanian

The definition of vintage is always debated but I think at least 90% of people would agree that 1984-85 OPC hockey is not vintage. Anyway, maybe we can discuss pre-war hockey. I have ran into very few places where collectors/dealers can discuss C56's, C55's, Ice Kings etc. I would be interested to discuss this topic and given that in some ways the cards are similar to baseball (1936 World Wide Gum, 1936-37 OPC etc..) I think it would apply.

Old 12-20-2002, 07:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

Jay mailed me a bunch of cards a while back for SGC submission. One of them was a pre-wwI hockey card and it was REALLY cool. I don't collect hockey or know anything about it, but I have considered starting a collection of that issue - Jay, what was it anyway?

Maybe there are enough of us to start a vintage "non-baseball" board. I know we have collectors of hockey, football, boxing, track and Indian. Probably other stuff as well.

Old 12-20-2002, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Scott, that was a c56. And yes, it is a very cool looking set.Going to keep it as a type card for now, but would love to put together a set, but I really need to get focused on my player set.

As for my Indians, it looks like another board member has been sucked in to collecting them Think it may be time to take advantage of the market and sell the collection

Jay

Old 12-20-2002, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith O'Leary

I like to check how deep the water is before I jump in it with a bunch of drowning rats (especially big ones, their weight is hard to bear in over the head water), LOL.

I'd love to talk about the vintage non baseball items (especially tobacco issues). I don't know a whole heck of a lot of people that collect this stuff and the only contact I have with them is through emails and phone calls. Would love to see a croud of collectors in one place on one board to interact with. It would give me one more pleasurable daily internet stop. Happy and safe holidays all, special thanks to Elliot also for putting up with us all, Keith

Old 12-20-2002, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

Really Jay, it's easy and you can give it an "Indian" back-drop if you want!

Old 12-20-2002, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

to make this board the 'main board' and have a drop down menu on the upper right corner of the page that brings you to a 'non-vintage' or 'non-baseball' board?
Maybe we could even have a seperate board for 'buy/sell/trade' as well?

This format works very well on the collectors universe board...it organizes all the threads nicely, and it would give us a seperate forum for wheeling and dealing, talking about non-baseball/non-vintage items and other such blasphemy

Any thoughts?

Old 12-20-2002, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Jay-Which C56 do you have and what did it grade with SGC? I am working on a decent set and I would be curious.
Thanks
Albie

Old 12-20-2002, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Old 12-20-2002, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Wow! This post is cool. I mention C56 vintage hockey and a couple of people have some cards.
Julie-Which Ross do you have? What is the grade? If it is EX or better are you interested in selling it?
Thanks
Albie

Old 12-20-2002, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Obermeyer

You guys had better be careful... if you open up the hockey "can of worms" Elliot and I might take over.

As an aside, I also collect the C56 hockey set. I've got 23 of the 36 cards in the set. It's a beauty!

Jeff
http://www.seattlehockey.net

Old 12-20-2002, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Jeff-Nice. To have 23 of the 36 cards is impressive. I started putting the set together about five years ago and bought my first card from Alan Hager (believe it or not it was not trimmed). #18 Nick Bawlf which resides in a PSA 8 holder. I was in under the mistaken impression that I could complete the set in NM or better condition. Fat chance. I have since settled on EXMT or better cards and sometimes even nice EX cards. I know of a couple of people with complete sets but they range in grade from P/F to NMMT. If you have any extras in mid to high grade that you want to trade or sell let me know.
Albie

Old 12-20-2002, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Obermeyer

Sorry Albie... I generally buy lower grade stuff, myself. The majority of my set is in good or very good condition. It's definately a harder set to work on than one would expect... but not nearly as difficult as the C55 or C57 sets.

The 1933-34 V252 Candian Gum hockey set has long been one of my favorites. It took me about 12 years to finish the set of 50, although some of mine are missing the coupons.

Jeff
http://www.seattlehockey.net>