NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-22-2011, 08:58 PM
Patrick N.

Default Hindu T205s

Hi, I am interested in owning one of these at some point. I know Hindu along with Broadleaf and Drum are the toughest T205 backs and that 6 or so sold in an REA auction a year or two ago, with maybe one of those offered for sale on the BST Engle and then eBay...Does anyone know how many T205 Hindus there are or do you own one that you could show off here Are they much tougher to acquire than the T206s (I'm pretty sure they are...) Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by mintacular; 08-22-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:58 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Hindu

In my opinion Hindu T205s are still the toughest backs. Considering how many I have seen in my short collecting career I would put the total population at under 25. Besides those 6 that were sold in REA, and those same ones circulating a little bit, I probably haven't seen that many (6) more of them. They are much tougher than the prices they realize suggest. Again, all imo....

Old 08-23-2011, 07:43 AM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

I have tracked T205s extensively for over a decade. The Hindu and Drum backs are MUCH tougher than Broadleaf. Over the last five years, Hindu has become the toughest of the T205 backs because of a "recent" find of Drum backs. I currently have 17 different Hindu backed T205 cards cataloged. I have seen 29 distinct Hindu cards during that time (Leon's info. was pretty accurate). Because I have seen more than one copy of a front/back combo, I still feel that there has to be more out there (at least 2 printings and possibly 3-4 total printings) but who knows?

That being said, T205 Hindu backed cards are among the toughest t-cards to find.

Joshua
Old 08-23-2011, 08:01 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wite3 View Post
I have tracked T205s extensively for over a decade. The Hindu and Drum backs are MUCH tougher than Broadleaf. Over the last five years, Hindu has become the toughest of the T205 backs because of a "recent" find of Drum backs. I currently have 17 different Hindu backed T205 cards cataloged. I have seen 29 distinct Hindu cards during that time (Leon's info. was pretty accurate). Because I have seen more than one copy of a front/back combo, I still feel that there has to be more out there (at least 2 printings and possibly 3-4 total printings) but who knows?

That being said, T205 Hindu backed cards are among the toughest t-cards to find.

Joshua
Thanks for the follow up Joshua. Since you have specifically followed them I will certainly defer to your comprehensive analysis. I know the Johnson shown in this thread is one of my favorite "backed" cards, given it's the Big Train on front too. And of course it came from the group of 6 that was auctioned a few years ago. These seem to be right up there in scarcity with the T207 Red Crosses at this point...not quite there but not far away either. best regards
Old 08-23-2011, 09:44 PM
J.
Jonathan Rys.kamp

Default T205 Drum & Hindu Checklist

In theory, do all T205 cards exist with both Drum and Hindu backs? If not, do we have a checklist of which cards exist with these backs?
Old 08-23-2011, 11:12 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

The short answer to your question is no. In fact, there is apparently no overlap between the drum and hindu backed cards. I have a checklist (definitely incomplete) of hindu and drum cards that I have either owned, seen good scans of, or have seen in person. Both are checklists are rather small.

Joshua
Old 08-24-2011, 07:17 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default search

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collect Equity View Post
In theory, do all T205 cards exist with both Drum and Hindu backs? If not, do we have a checklist of which cards exist with these backs?
If you do a forum search under T205 Hindu you will find quite a bit of information. A lot of it is from Joshua (thanks sir) and some from other members too. As usual I just did a search and started reading and reading and reading......Searches on this forum can be like a child watching lizards mate on a fence....If you aren't careful you can just sit there for a long time reading on and on .
Old 08-24-2011, 08:00 AM
John Hanssen

[QUOTE=Leon;919677]like a child watching lizards mate on a fence....QUOTE]

Some childhood you had!!!
Old 08-24-2011, 09:28 AM
Barry Sloate

During my years in the hobby I handled several thousand T205, including at least a few Drums. But I never had even a single Hindu.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:44 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Lew's thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
During my years in the hobby I handled several thousand T205, including at least a few Drums. But I never had even a single Hindu.
Lew Lipset has always said he feels the Hindu's are the toughest T205 backs. I think the statements in this thread will help confirm that. And as a shameless plug I believe there will be a fairly nice one, with a small bit of back damage at top (maybe keeping the price down a little), in our B and L auction coming up in September.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:08 AM
Pup6913

FWIW you will also never find any Pied 42, AB, BL, Cycle, or Drum backed players with the Hindu back either.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:24 AM
PeterB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wite3 View Post
The short answer to your question is no. In fact, there is apparently no overlap between the drum and hindu backed cards. I have a checklist (definitely incomplete) of hindu and drum cards that I have either owned, seen good scans of, or have seen in person. Both are checklists are rather small.

Joshua
Could we possibly start a checklist creation and compare with Josh's? I know a few of us here are involved with the T205 set. I personally own 1 Drum & 1 Hindu. Could we create a thread asking for anyone who owns either back to submit the Back/Player combo. Then we can see if there are similar patterns as well as duplicate players with same backs.

Last edited by peterb69; 08-24-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:34 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

I would be interested in seeing scans of any Hindu/drum backs as well.

Joshua

I will to post a list later this evening.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:22 PM
J.
Jonathan Rys.kamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pup6913 View Post
FWIW you will also never find any Pied 42, AB, BL, Cycle, or Drum backed players with the Hindu back either.
I've never heard that. Why is this the case?
Old 08-26-2011, 07:57 AM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Jonathan,
The simple answer is that the cards were printed in sheets and certain front sheets received certain back advertising. If you study the front/back combos long enough you start to see patterns. Hindu subjects never appear with Drum, either Hassan back, either AB back, either Broadleaf back, Cycle, and Piedmont 42.

Joshua
Old 08-26-2011, 08:26 AM
Pup6913

Joshua I can honestly say I have not noticed the Hassan connection before. The ABCDP42 cards I noticed fairly quickly, as well as the AB greens and blacks being found with BL backs

AB black backs can be found on BL and Drum but the greenies are only found with P42, and Cycle.