NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-28-2010, 11:30 AM
Jeff

Default PSA Hall Of Fame Players registry set of 239 cards

I was wondering if any other members are working on the PSA registered Hall Of Fame players set. The set consists of 239 players and any card qualifies. Looking at some of the other registered sets some are loaded with high grade vintage cards. Other sets consist of modern or reprint cards. I think my set will fall somewhere in the middle. Here's what I have so far:

http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistr...x?s=82644&ac=1

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 09-28-2010, 11:35 AM

Looks like you are off to a great start. That seems like a fun way to collect. One way to approach it would be to get a card from the playing days of each player whenever possible. Obviously, that would be a more expensive proposition, but a cool way to get a broad spectrum of cards from a lot of different issues.
JimB
Old 09-28-2010, 11:47 AM
Jeff

Thanks Jim! I would love to have a card for each player issued during their career, but I would run into toughies like Josh Gibson that would cost a fortune. I'm hoping the majority of the cards I add to this set will be cards issued during the player's career. Postcards and Exhibit cards also qualify so I'll add some of those as well. I might also look at some of the odd-ball 1970's sets to fill in some holes.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:57 AM
Rob Miller

Jeff, another great collecting idea from you. This is comparable to my Postwar HOF RC project and I know you are having a blast building it. Keep us posted.

Rob
Old 09-28-2010, 12:20 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robextend View Post
Jeff, another great collecting idea from you. This is comparable to my Postwar HOF RC project and I know you are having a blast building it. Keep us posted.

Rob
Rob, you'll have to crossover all your cards and join in on the fun!

Old 09-28-2010, 12:26 PM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

Jeff - nice start to your set. Neat idea. Wonder if McGwire, Bonds etc will be in your set in 20 years....
Old 09-28-2010, 12:38 PM
Matt Hall

It would be nice if there were a website where you could register your set with mixed TPGs/raw... Nice set!
Old 09-28-2010, 03:31 PM
Ken Wirt

Here's my HOF collection, if you're interested. Mix of graded and raw (which I put in screw top holders and labeled myself). Attempting to obtain a career contemporary card of each HOFer, if possible. Still a handful of Negro Leaguers yet to acquire.

http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s290/triwak/
Old 09-28-2010, 03:53 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

When will PSA start a registry set of every player to ever play the game (any card will do)? If someone is willing to pay to throw something between plastic PSA will create a registry set for you. Ask yourself why you really need to have a registry set like this and pay PSA to slab it for you. If you want to collect these cards then collect them and have fun. Take the couple of thousand dollars that you would have spent on plastic and get yourself a few really nice cards. A registry set where any card will do is meaningless.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:51 PM
Kenny Cole

+1
Old 09-28-2010, 07:03 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
When will PSA start a registry set of every player to ever play the game (any card will do)? If someone is willing to pay to throw something between plastic PSA will create a registry set for you. Ask yourself why you really need to have a registry set like this and pay PSA to slab it for you. If you want to collect these cards then collect them and have fun. Take the couple of thousand dollars that you would have spent on plastic and get yourself a few really nice cards. A registry set where any card will do is meaningless.
A registry set of every player to ever play the game is a fantastic idea!

Old 09-28-2010, 07:09 PM
Kenny Cole

LOL, and the slabs would cost you about 4x the cost of the players if the player cards weren't period. I'd personally prefer to buy more cards, but to each his own I guess.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:11 PM
Jeff

Kenny, you seem to have misunderstood my opening post. I wasn't asking peoples opinions on grading cards, I was asking if anyone was collecting this set. And Oldjudge, don't worry about me 'cause I'm always having fun!

Old 09-28-2010, 11:02 PM
Kenny Cole

Which set? Lots of people, including me, collect HOF players. The issue Jay raised, as I understand it, is why would you pay to slab a card of a player from the 1800s (for example) that was printed now? Collecting HOFers is great. Lots of us do it. But why would you pay the grading fees for a card that is nowhere near when the HOFer played, and, thus, the value of the card is miniscule compared to the price to grade it?

As I said, to each his own. But IMO, I would much rather save the money that I would spend grading those cards in favor of spending them on a vintage card of that HOF player. Value-wise, that's a no-brainer. A POS card of a early 1900's HOFer will be far more valuable than a 2009 card of that same HOF'er. Every time. So why spend the money on the slab?

Again, this is an IMO thing, but if I could spend a couple grand on grading recent cards of old players, or spend a couple grand on cards of those same players from when they actually played, I'd go for the latter The PSA set registry doesn't even enter into the equation because, as Jay mentioned, it is meaningless. Just my ..$.02
Old 09-28-2010, 11:34 PM
Matt Hall

I don't know Kenny, I counted 4 cents there.

I still think there should be a registry for raw cards.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:31 PM
Jeff

Default Thanks everyone!

For anyone who cares to look, my HOF player set is up to #29 at over 50% complete. A big thank you to my fellow board members who have helped me add to this set over the last few months.

My HOF player set:
http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistr...x?s=82644&ac=1

Old 01-10-2011, 04:38 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
"Just one word son, plastics. Think about it, there's a great future in plastics."

Happy collecting whatever your bent.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 01-10-2011, 04:53 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb217676 View Post
For anyone who cares to look, my HOF player set is up to #29 at over 50% complete. A big thank you to my fellow board members who have helped me add to this set over the last few months.
Jeff - could one buy a 1980s set of baseball greatest players, get them all graded and jump to the top of the list? Collecting HOF players is a great way to collect, but I wouldn't get wrapped up in the ranking.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:36 PM
Peter Spaeth

Indeed the top ranked set starts with these.

HANK AARON 1989 1 PEREZ-STEELE B113890010 10 4 0
PETE ALEXANDER 1976 10 MOTOROLA B197760100 10 2 0
ROBERTO ALOMAR
CAP ANSON 1977 2 BOB PARKER K117000034 9 1 0

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:13 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

I completely get that some people can't afford many of the old pre-1900 players, myself included. But c'mon, at least give it an effort. Perez-Steeles, Conlons and Pacific Greats cards do not belong on the registry in regards to a HOF player collection....At least give some sort of effort, maybe a few Callahans, 1960 fleers, '61 golden press, maybe even the old Artvue or Albertype postcards, but definitely not the dime a dozen cards...And for the Negro Leaguers, the 70's Laughlin cards may be as good as most of us will find. But please, and I beg, please, can people stop filling out their HOF registries with the 90's Ted Williams sets and Topps Archives..

Maybe at least when applicable, PSA should limit most players to at least pre-'61 cards, if they're not gonna get a card from their active playing days..

Last edited by novakjr; 01-10-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:40 PM
Jeff

I totally agree with the previous post. I hope to eventually have a card of each player issued during their career (or at least pre 1961) and if I come into some serious $ in the future it would be nice to find some legit cards of the Negro League hall of famers. The rankings don't really matter to me. I know a bunch of other guys who have sets in this registry and we have fun seeing each other add to their collections.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Ron Rice

Default HOF PSA Registry Set

Congrats on the project, Jeff. That registry set is a great way to collect all the HOF players. Some are super tough, or super expensive so that registry gives collectors lots of options in all price ranges. I like how you're doing it. Picturing the cards, like you did, gives a nice way to display your collection. Collectors can see that you didn't wimp out and buy 1980's cards of the pre-war guys.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:25 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

Your set looks awesome Jeff, keep it up and collect the way you want. Who is anyone to judge how someone else collects cardboard pictures, whether that is 1920's cardboard or newer 1980's.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:59 PM
Jeff

Ron & Scott, thanks for the compliments! I would rather pick up one really nice pre war card than a bunch of 1980's reprints any day. I have a lot of patience and I'm in no rush to fill out this collection. But on the other hand, if someone is into the reprint or modern cards of vintage players kind of thing, that's cool too. Everyone who collects can only buy what they can afford. Just have fun!

Ron - I still need a McGraw!

Last edited by jb217676; 01-11-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:49 PM

Very cool collection! Good luck and you look like you're having a blast..which is the most important thing!
Old 06-25-2011, 08:36 AM
Jeff

I know a few other members are doing HOF player collections, so let's bump this thread and see what you have (I'm at 87.55% complete!) Click on the link in my sig if you want to check out my hall of famers and happy collectin' everyone!
Jeff

Old 06-25-2011, 12:16 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb217676 View Post
I know a few other members are doing HOF player collections, so let's bump this thread and see what you have (I'm at 87.55% complete!) Click on the link in my sig if you want to check out my hall of famers and happy collectin' everyone!
Jeff
Very Good Jeff.

My collection is a little more than just cards. Mgrs/execs/umps included. I've decided to stay strictly career contemporary(when possible). I do however accept the Laughlin cards for Negro Leaguers. For a lot of the 19th century guys, I've chosen to include woodcuts. Also for executives and early 20th century players, I've decided to include guide pages that feature them photographically, as long as it pre-dates or at least matches they year of their first released cards..

Using these odd rules, Currently I'm at 56% complete, and 28.5% complete for rookies(or items that pre-date standard rookies) Woodcuts and guide pages only count as rookies in my collection if they are listed on the "earliest collectibles" thread, or match the same year from that thread.

Last edited by novakjr; 06-25-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:04 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Nice Jeff, what are you going to do once you get to 100%?
Old 06-25-2011, 03:18 PM
Tony Quinn

Default Me too.

Jeff, I'm also doing a HOF collection. I am doing a "master" set. What I mean by that is there are actually 295 HOF'ers and I am doing a card of every one of them. That entails non-era (playing or otherwise) and includes fantasy or aftermarket cards. Some players/execs etc. either have no card or are so expensive it makes it impossible to own them (for me) so I have substituted modern day or "fantasy" cards for the umpires, executives, negro leaguers and 19th century players. I have 249 of 295 (84%) and all are scanned on the site collectorfocus.com under TQ's cards (or something like that) if anyone wants to see them. I also have substituted signed cards if I could afford them as I am somewhat partial to autographed cards.
Good luck to all who attempt this, it's expensive and tough but great fun.
Tony
Old 06-25-2011, 05:24 PM
Phil Garry

Hey, David:

Sounds like you are off to a great start to your collection. I have used very similar criteria in building my own collection. Do you have a website, photobucket, etc. where you can share scans of your collection?
Old 06-25-2011, 06:38 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

I reciently completed my HOF set. I joined this forum with only one player to go (hence the name "almostdone"). I wish I new of this site when I was building it. It took about ten years and the criteria I used is as follows:

1. A card must be from when the player was still active (only two exceptions in my collection one is the card came out the year after he retired and the other is a Mathewson from 1919. It's all I could afford and figured 90 years old is old enough for me).

2. The card had to be issued in order to promote a poroduct (ie, gum, tobacco, a game, etc.) No newspaper clippings or magazines

3. Played from 1909 and on. I just can't think about the 1800's guys on my limited funds.

4. Only players. I do have a Diamond Match Billy Herman but only because his team is listed as the "Boston Bees" and I love baseball history.

5. As big of a variety of types of cards possible. The most of any set I have is 11 T206's. When people view my collection I want them to see not only the players in the HOF but also as wide of a variety of cards as possible. Sort of a tour of cards over the last century.

Occationaly I will upgrase a card here of there but somehow my collection sort fo just fits me and who I am as a collector and lover of the game.

I did post some pics of my displays in the "Show your displays" thread a while back if you would like to take a peek and let me know what you think.

Drew
Old 06-25-2011, 06:41 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Attachment 35465

Attachment 35466

Attachment 35468

Attachment 35469[/quote]
Old 06-25-2011, 07:17 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
Hey, David:

Sounds like you are off to a great start to your collection. I have used very similar criteria in building my own collection. Do you have a website, photobucket, etc. where you can share scans of your collection?
Not yet. I'll work on getting something together though... There's alot of players that I don't have that I could just go out and easily get. There's been a lot of great cards that I have passed on because I just keep looking for an older card of any given player. I'd much rather have a card of a guy in his first year or two, as opposed to one of his last..

Last edited by novakjr; 06-25-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:26 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
Nice Jeff, what are you going to do once you get to 100%?
I'll wait until the new inductees are announced!

Old 06-26-2011, 12:13 AM

really cool collection

has anyone ever seen a Pud Galvin card?
i know hes on the 300 win list and hes quite possibly the games first ever steroid user (horse testosterone if im not mistaken)
but its a name thats never ever brought up and ive never seen a single piece of memorabilia
Old 06-26-2011, 04:36 AM
Phil Garry

Pud Galvin is in the 1887-90 N172 Old Judge set as well as the 1889 E.R. Williams Playing Crads set.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:30 AM
Kenny Cole

Here's a card of Galvin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1887-90 N172 Old Judge Galvin HOF 1965 SDB.jpg (65.5 KB, 125 views)
Old 07-04-2011, 12:39 AM
Ni,ck Miku.licich Jr

Default I'm working on this set too

I'm a little off the first page. My focus is on playing-days cards, though I'll put in a post-career card. I try to get ones that are reasonable collectibles (R423, '60 & '61 Fleer, '72 Puerto Rican Stickers, etc.) - I don't believe in grading the modern cheap cards of vintage HOFers just to fill spots in a registry.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:06 AM
Clayton

Hi Jeff-

Interesting project & glad you are having fun with it !! I just checked it out, and had a question. I noticed on the T206 Lajoie & T206 Jennings that it says "unknown back". Does PSA require that you put that term on the registry because that's how they have it listed in their database from the # on the flip, or, can you put in the actual cig. brand on your own?

Just wondering about that. I know it isn't an unkown back to you

Thanks, and congrats on your project !!

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 07-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Jeff

Hi Clayton,
I think the backs of T206 cards only show up in the registry if it's mentioned on the flip. I could be wrong, but I'm guessing the older slabs didn't mention the back. You are able to add the backs in the "owner's comments" section of a registry set, maybe I'll get around to doing that in the future.
Jeff

Last edited by jb217676; 07-04-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:01 AM
Clayton

Hi Jeff-

Thanks- I wasn't sure how that worked. I was thinking maybe there was a way to just add on to where it says "unknown back".....ie: unknown back/Piedmont......or something like that.

Anyhow, cool project, and good luck on your venture

Sincerely, Clayton

Last edited by teetwoohsix; 07-04-2011 at 10:02 AM.