NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-18-2007, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Default Grey Flannel Pick-up/Trophy Question

Posted By: Aaron M.

Hey, guys, love the new forum!

I managed to win the 1916 Mercantile League Runner Up Trophy (Lot # 110) in last night's Grey Flannel auction and was wondering what some people thought about "re-silvering" vintage trophies?

I love the style of the trophy (seemed to me to be a much less expensive version of the 1911 New York Giants trophy that sold for something like $14,000 in an REA auction a couple years ago), but don't like the "patina". I have re-silvered a c. 1920's Reach trophy top before and been happy with the results, but it obviously doesn't have that true vintage look anymore.

Does anyone have any advice in this regard? I want it to look old, but not too old!

Old 05-18-2007, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Theberge

Aaron,

Glad to see you here. Don't do it! There are certain things that should be restored, but only to preserve the original finish on an item (restore a missing corner to a lithograph, stabilize a paint flake from behind, take out water stains, etc.) . If you re-silver it, you've lost the original finish.

Old stuff should look old. It shouldn't look brand new, or it shouldn't be encased in plastic (oops???). You resilver it, in my opinion, you've killed the value, both historical and monetary.

Greg

Old 05-18-2007, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

Don't do it....Don't do it. Leave it alone.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe K.

...don't do it. I like the patina - looks damn good to me. And congrats on the pickup. That's a real nice looking trophy. I was watching that trophy (I had a bid in on it ) along with several other lots on Grey Flannel last night - didn't win any of them.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I didn't check the auction this morning, but last night when I looked it sure seemed like the photos were going pretty cheap.

Old 05-18-2007, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob Dewolf

I'm with the majority so far on this one: Don't do it.

Old 05-19-2007, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Hey Aaron,

What happened to your blog by the way? I always enjoyed looking at it (great stuff) but now can't access it?

Did you ever get one of those 1912 Red Sox pins you were after? Would love to get one of those as well.

Greg

Old 05-19-2007, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

I would leave the item the way you bought it, the value will still be there for years to come

Take Care Jimmy

Old 05-19-2007, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: mr. moses

ALONE.

Old 05-20-2007, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Corey R. Shanus

Re-silvering it will very substantially reduce its value, analogous to the impact repainting a trophy ball would have on that item's value. It will also substantially change the character of the item, which from the perspective of artifact preservation would be a shame to see. However, that said, I'm a believer that the main reason to collect is to enjoy your items. So IF re-silvering it will materially increase the pleasure you derive from owning the trophy, the substantial reduction in its value is not a cause for concern, and you are not concerned that you may someday regret your actions, then I don't know how I can say you shouldn't do it.

Edited for grammar

Old 05-20-2007, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: mr. moses

point Corey.
I wanted to
so I did
because I can.......

Old 05-21-2007, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Aaron M.

Hey, Greg. I had shut down the blog to outside viewers for a few weeks figuring no-one would miss it, but lo and behold a few people were actually reading it, so I've re-opened it to the public.

I appreciate all the feedback on the trophy (this new forum is waht I always hoped the memoribilia collecting community would have). I honestly don't know what I'll do until I receive it and have a chance to examine it first-hand. It may just need a good cleaning.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike H

Great to see you blog back up Aaron. I can't tell you how much we appreciate your work there. Keep it up.

Old 05-22-2007, 05:43 PM
Administrator

I knew that trophy looked familiar Aaron...

This is a page out of Peter Nash's book on Boston's Royal Rooters.

I'm liking your trophy even more now, even though this one isn't for the Sox either