NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-26-2013, 09:15 PM
Ty

Default 3 mantle balls you be the judge.

3 mantle baseballs, 3 different inscriptions.....I just dont know. I bought them a few years ago along with the 2 other mantle balls that I already sent to PSA and they came back good(they are for sale in the autograph thread). From the same local auction. I dont want to pay for to send these to PSA. Let me know what you all think!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mantleA1.jpg (74.3 KB, 321 views)
File Type: jpg mantle a2.jpg (73.4 KB, 320 views)
File Type: jpg mantleb1.jpg (76.3 KB, 322 views)
File Type: jpg mantleb2.jpg (76.8 KB, 321 views)
File Type: jpg mantle c1.jpg (72.3 KB, 321 views)
File Type: jpg mantlec2.jpg (73.6 KB, 320 views)
Old 11-26-2013, 09:32 PM
Jos.eph Dw.ek

All 3 are fake
Old 11-27-2013, 04:56 AM
Christopher Williams

Holy smokes!!!

Yikes!!!

1990's "Operation Bullpen" forgeries.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:47 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Yup.... all bad/all from same source
Old 11-27-2013, 08:53 AM
Don Hontz

The autos are bad--but love your scanner. Don
Old 11-27-2013, 09:26 AM
Ty

Thanks guys. I thought the middle one had a chance but you confirmed what i didnt want to admit. Don-used my iphone and just took pics.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:37 PM
Ryan

Hi there, first time poster with a growing collection of hall of fame autographs. Going after Mantle scares me the most. I've studied a lot of the signatures, and I think I've identified some cues, but could you please educate me as to what exactly tips you off on these particular examples? To me A is cockeyed, C is pretty shaky all the way through... other things you look for? Thanks! I feel a little better looking for Dimaggio and Williams, but the tricks for Mantle elude me.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:29 PM
Scott

Watch for the very pointed " banana M's" too. someone can illustrate that for you
Old 11-27-2013, 07:19 PM
Ty

Rschisler- interested in buying some known fakes for your official mantle studying lab?
Old 11-27-2013, 08:49 PM
Mic.hel.le. Plo.ur.de

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschisler View Post
Hi there, first time poster with a growing collection of hall of fame autographs. Going after Mantle scares me the most. I've studied a lot of the signatures, and I think I've identified some cues, but could you please educate me as to what exactly tips you off on these particular examples? To me A is cockeyed, C is pretty shaky all the way through... other things you look for? Thanks! I feel a little better looking for Dimaggio and Williams, but the tricks for Mantle elude me.
Me too. I have 2 single-signed balls that I know are real since he signed them in front of my eyes, but I can't see the identifiers that show the ones in these photos are fake. Want to learn more.

Interesting side story, Mantle was the first signing I ever went to, (was in 87 or 88 in Oakland according to my notes), and I handed him my 2 balls and a black sharpie. He said something like "you don't want to use a sharpie on a ball, a ballpoint pen is best". Seeing that I didn't have a ball pen, he borrowed a blue one from the person behind me in line and signed my 2 balls! So from then on I've learned to use different pens on different media. Great teacher and memory for me.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:11 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misha View Post
Me too. I have 2 single-signed balls that I know are real since he signed them in front of my eyes, but I can't see the identifiers that show the ones in these photos are fake. Want to learn more.

Interesting side story, Mantle was the first signing I ever went to, (was in 87 or 88 in Oakland according to my notes), and I handed him my 2 balls and a black sharpie. He said something like "you don't want to use a sharpie on a ball, a ballpoint pen is best". Seeing that I didn't have a ball pen, he borrowed a blue one from the person behind me in line and signed my 2 balls! So from then on I've learned to use different pens on different media. Great teacher and memory for me.
Michelle, if you work on training your eyes, you will eventually see the difference.

It doesn't happen overnight, and in my humble opinion, cannot be taught.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:46 AM
Al

As an example signed in front of me as I was one of the hosts for the Babe Ruth League.

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..

Last edited by batsballsbases; 09-11-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:32 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsballsbases View Post
As an example signed in front of me as I was one of the hosts for the Babe Ruth League.
Absolutely authentic.