NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-06-2008, 10:39 PM
Administrator

Default August Pickup Thread

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Anyone ever seen this label before?

Photobucket

Photobucket

I'm not a big Twins fan, but I always liked their early logo and I found about 7 of these cups really cheap.

Photobucket

Old 08-06-2008, 10:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd Schultz

Sweet Twins cup Dan, if they're in nice as shape as it appears I'd be willing to take one off your hands.

As for the other, no I haven't seen that label. That's all I have to say--I never talk about another man's socks. Come to think of it, I don't usually ask a guy about his cup either.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:18 PM
Administrator

Todd, check your email.

I also picked up this 1939 Champlin Refiners Yearbook. Champlin was a motor oil company and this is for their Semi-pro team. They were very good...the team was filled with ringers from the Texas, Western and Pacific Coast League..even a couple of former Major Leaguers on the roster.

Photobucket

Old 08-07-2008, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

Who were the MLB ringers? Stories of such teams are usually interesting.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Lil Stoner is the only former major leaguer, but there were two future major leaguers on the roster in Lon Goldstein, and Howie McFarland. It's interesting that the minor league database and Baseball Reference disagree on the birth year of most every player listed by two years. Either the players or the team were fudging their birthdates. Also one player listed is Jack Mealey who is said to have played for the White Sox, Pirates and Red Sox, but no major league record exists for him....he does however have a pretty solid minor league career and even a stint as the president of the Sooner State League. Perhaps maybe he went to spring training with the above listed clubs and he considered that "played for" or maybe he was a bullpen catcher not listed on the roster?

edited to add: The team even had former House of David pitcher Ed Brady on the team. Brady went 31-5 for the HOD in 1934.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

The "baseball age" of a player can change due to a particular situation. Gene Mauch is a perfect case in point. When he started out as a player, I believe he first claimed to be older. Then, as he aged, he went back to his true D.O.B. Once he started his managerial career, he actually bumped his age up a couple of years to add the appearance of "extra maturity".

There weren't any autographs in that program, were there?

Old 08-07-2008, 09:37 AM
Administrator

No signatures unfortunately.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy

Here's another Twins item that I found the other day - except this is for the Fargo-Moorehead Twins, made by Fargo Rubber Stamp.
Photobucket

Old 08-07-2008, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jantz

It is a Jim Beam Commemorative bourbon bottle commemorating 100 years (1869-1969) of professional baseball.

Any information about this bottle or its value would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jantz

edited scan size

Old 08-07-2008, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

Dan, that Champlin Refiners program sounds neat. They won the National Baseball Congress tournament in 1940 and 1941.

I picked up my second equipment bag from 1955 and Wichita in two weeks. This one is from the National Baseball Congress champion Boeing Bombers. They won the NBC tournament and then won the Global World Series.

Clint

Old 08-07-2008, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Nice Clint, where'd you come across that one?

Old 08-07-2008, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Dan, my friend that owns the card store sold it to me. I worked a card show with him Sunday and he cut me a deal on it. I've got a couple other items from the 1955 Global World Series also. This bag is more like a bat bag where the other was closer to a duffle bag. I was pretty pumped to get it.

Clint

Old 08-07-2008, 10:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: chris

I have one to...sorry to say that they run around $10 or less on Ebay all the time. Looks good though. chris

Old 08-08-2008, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Shawn Chambers

Well, I did get a few catalogs. I really like the Goldsmith, but anything with Ruth on it is nice, too!

Old 08-08-2008, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jantz

Thanks for the reply Chris. I did some checking myself later last night and found about the same conclusion as you.

Nice decoration though.

Jantz

Old 08-08-2008, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

I picked up the same nifty Circular "Spitter" Mask as pictured on the cover of Shawn's Goldsmith Catalogue. Thanks, Shawn for pinpointing the date to 1937!

Also acquired 2 nice pairs of vintage Catchers' Shinguards. The 1930s example features a rare/unusual inner-support system, and the Reeded Shins are a nice D & M example from the late teens. It's become extremely difficult to find these pieces not beaten to oblivion!

edited scan size

Old 08-09-2008, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Mark, those are some nice reeded shin guards.

I just picked up the Tippy Martinez jersey and a couple others I've got recently. I'm working on jerseys from my favorite childhood team the Orioles. I'm also going for one jersey for each team from my childhood years.

Clint

Old 08-09-2008, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith

Hey guys, Here are some of my recent pickups.

First is this 1913 Football pennant. I have seen this pennant a few times with the same player and with Harvard on the right (Mears has one, and I saw on on Carlton's National (07 I believe) writeup. Harvard won the championship in undefeated fashion in 1913, so I am guessing this is a Harvard pennant to celebrate there championship season.

Next, I picked up this Eagles pennant that I haven't come across before. I have the same style pennant already, but the one I have has Eastern Champions above Philadelphia.

Lastly, although not a August pickup, I have yet to show the following items, and I just framed them. They are a 3 page letter on 1930's Philadelphia Eagles letterhead written from Bert Bell to his wife, a Bert Bell signed NFL pass given to his son Upton, a Bert Bell signed drivers license, and 2 Bert Bell double signed Eagles checks. I have had stuff custom framed before, but I found a cheap alternative for this group. I purchased a large clearance framed floral print at Michaels for $27 bucks, removed the offensive floral print, and placed a large feltish black backing behind the Bert Bell items in the frame. I think it was a nice cheap alternative to custom framing and I think it displays pretty well.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave S

I picked these items at a small flea market at a tractor show.

the bat is a wally post m110 game model.You just never know where items are going to pop up.

Dave s

edited scan size

Old 08-13-2008, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Picked up this program from Dan B. and got this neat postcard of Jetmore, KS off ebay.

Thanks Dan.

Clint

Old 08-13-2008, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brock G.

Picked up this 1960 Tigers picture pennant. I've never seen this variation before. One of the few things I've been able to land recently. I'm currently in a horrible dry spell when it comes to this stuff.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

had to give up a few nice cards for it....and since this picture was taken it's been professionally cleaned by, from what I hear, the best in the business....

Old 08-13-2008, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Wow Leon. Simply awesome. Can you post some closeups of some of the major players?

Clint

Old 08-13-2008, 06:45 PM
Administrator

I will be glad to once I receive it. It looks far better than this scan I have, especially since it's been cleaned. It's very clean and bright looking now. I was told that nothing at all had been added only the dirt removed..........I am happy to have it. Now my office walls won't be bare anymore. 1903 Horner Composites are very scarce, I understand, and from my limited knowledge, concur. When I saw this in person, recently, I knew it was the piece I had been looking for....and consummated the deal a day or two ago...I hope this is the right place to post about it

edited to add....yes, a larger type piece for sure... and numurous spelling errors....

Old 08-13-2008, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Leon, if this isn't the right place to post it, then that has to be the biggest card ever. I guess another one for your type collection.

Clint

Old 08-13-2008, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Amazing piece Leon, congrats.
Here are a couple of my recent pickups.
After picking up that circa 1910 quilt with the White Sox pennant on it a few months ago (which will be in the Louisville Hunt auction by the way), I have been on the lookout for them as I think they combine great early pennants with nice early folkart/craftmanship. Anyway, I picked up this large quilt made of a bunch of Nebraska pennants. There is a nice early University of Nebraska pennant, a Nebraska School of Business pennant, some dated pennants, etc. None of the pennants have the wow factor that the White sox pennant had, but I still think it is a pretty attractive piece.

Also I picked up this nice early St Louis University Baseball pennant. I was thinking this pennant was from around 1910 as well, but does anyone think otherwise?

Old 08-13-2008, 10:27 PM
Administrator

Keith, if you part out that Nebraska quilt (If even possible) I'd be interested in the 1910 Red Cloud pennant.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:40 PM
Administrator

Dan,
I wasn't planning on taking this one apart, as it is nice condition, and it presents pretty well, but I am going to send you an email in a minute.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:32 PM
Administrator

Keith... The St. Louis University Pennanty is a beauty! Definitely circa 1910-15. What are the dimensions of that one in inches (height x length?)

Also... That's wonderful that Hunt's took the White Sox Pennant. Looking forward to seeing that one in their Live Auction. How difficult was it to detach from the quilt? Was it a painstaking process, or was it easily removed? Did you do it, or leave it to a professional? Did the stitches leave much of a mark, or is the former stitching somewhat invisible?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is an interesting topic, and was a truly rare find in that state!

Old 08-14-2008, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Thanks Mark, The St Louis pennant actually isn't that large - it measures in at 21 inches long with the tassles and 8 inches high.

As to the White Sox pennant, I had all intentions of removing it. However, I took it over to Hunts to get there opinion, and they recommended selling it as is in Quilt form. I think the White Sox pennant would come off very easily, based on the wide stitching. Based on some loose stitching present on the other pennants on that quilt, no holes were noticeable on those pennants where the stitching was loose/removed.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Thanks Keith...

Interesting that Hunt's would prefer to auction it in quilt form. I bet that the winning bidder removes it, but that's just my opinion.

It will be interesting to see how well it does. In the long history of Hunt's (or any other major auction) I cannot recall one of these oversized beauties being sold in this manner.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Danny

Leon-

Does Dummy Hoy or Dummy Taylor appeared on your poster/card??

Great looking piece-

Danny-

Old 08-15-2008, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jerry Rucker

Picked the 1930's Bf3 Yankee Pennants up at a Show and the Cochran PC off ebay.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:32 PM
Administrator

I also just picked up this CHYP tin as well. I really liked it when Carlton showed his and just came across this one. I have heard people say the C stands for Columbia, Colgate and Cornell, but in looking at the tin in person, the C appears to be orange, and none of the above colleges ever had orange as one of their colors. The only one that comes to mind is Clemson, but they were founded in 1889 and I think this tin predates them, and even if it postdates them, I don't think they would be included on this tin being such a new school. I think Columbia makes more sense with the other schools on the tin, however, I guess the red of Cornell and Colgate would be a closer match to the orange. Does anyone know for certain what the C is?

Old 08-15-2008, 11:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ROBERT ADAMS JR

PhotobucketPhotobucket Although I am pretty sure this is off topic , picked up Native American amulet basically in my back yard .

Old 08-16-2008, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Dorskind

This piece appears in the 2nd edition of the National Pastime.

At one time it was in the collection of Barry Halper and later
through the efforts of our long-time friend, Rob Lifson, it
was in The Dorskind Collection for more than 10 years.

Whilst we do not know how lucky Leon was with his purchase
price, we can tell you that we acquired the piece in 1980
for $20,000

Bruce Dorskind
America's Toughest Want List

Old 08-16-2008, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike H

Robert. To make your post on topic, I propose this piece looks like the petrified ear of Harry Wright.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leonl

Danny- I don't have the 1903 Horner Composite in hand yet so do not know if it has Dummy Taylor on it. I will check when I receive it which should be early next week.

Bruce- This particular one originated from the Callahan (manager) estate and was originally bought by someone I know from Hunt Auctions in 2003. It sold for about 23k after the juice. The Halper one went to a good friend from NY that still has it in his collection. I saw the one I am buying at this last National and it looked spectacular. I am told the Halper one is even better. According to Rob L, who I spoke with about this piece a few days ago, he thinks this one could be the 2nd best in the hobby, next to the Halper one...... out of something less than 10 known..(for both '03 and '04 yrs). I have been looking for something for my office wall, as a centerpiece, and this is it........regards

Old 08-16-2008, 03:24 PM
Administrator

I picked up a few items from the Omaha Postcard and Paper show today - I won't bore you with the Nebraska town team postcards, but here are a few other items I picked up

From the bargain bin
Photobucket

Charles Brickley photo apparently given to Slapsie Maxie -a boxing champion of the day. It is attached to scrapbook paper with a note on the back signed by Brickley....Tough autograph??? He died in 1949 I believe and is a member of the College Football Hall of Fame.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Nifty program for Hollywood's "Out of this World" Series baseball game...autographs of Tom Harmon, Elise Knox, Baron Leone?, Peggy Lee, and Sara Berner

Photobucket

Old 08-16-2008, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Leon

Great pickup. I was shown one of these a couple of years ago by an antiquarian book dealer who said the particular example had hung in Shibe Park. I don't know where that one ended up, but your purchase has reminded me to give this dealer one more try to see if it is now for sale.

Max

Old 08-16-2008, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: CarltonHendricks

15 5/8" tall by 10 5/8" wide
I picked up this little poster featuring Red Grange today at an antiques show...It's printed on paper, first example I've seen. However I have seen about a 5 ft tall diecut advertising sign of Grange in the same pose, advertising Red Grange footballs....been many years but as I recall, there was a large football under Grange. It's a dream piece now I wish I'd have nailed. So picking this up was a nice find for me. It's shrunk wrapped so got a little reflection.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Theberge

Some really great pickups on this thread. Thanks for posting them.

Leon...great piece! Do you know who did the cleaning for the piece? We've used a great company in Chicago to clean some lithographs we have in our beer collection (the "we" being my dad and I, not me, myself and I).

I was going to comment on Bruce's post here and another recent one on the other side of the forum, but then I remembered what my parent's taught me and decided against it.

Greg

Old 08-18-2008, 01:09 PM
Administrator

It was Paul Messier who did the cleaning....I am in the process of getting the report they did on it too. I should have the Composite this Wednesday according to the seller....

also, since there is another new pick up thread I am going to lock this one...>We can email if we need to.....thanks much