NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-07-2009, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Default 1947 BOND BREAD and its "imposters"....show us your cards ?

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

Thanks for digging up this article. It essentially covers about everything we have mulled over in
th 40 posts in this thread.

There is one comment in it that confirms my understanding of the Festberg "warehouse find" of
the SQUARE cards. The author notes "the square cards are beige backed, while the round cards
are stark white".

Yet, David M. has one of these sets and the backs of his 24 cards are "stark white" ? ?

This is really becoming frustrating, we just cannot arrive at a consistent set of facts regarding
these SQUARE cards.

TED Z

Old 04-07-2009, 10:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

I currently own a round cornered Joe Louis (illustrated above). I've also had the square cornered ones in the past. The round Louis I own is the only one I've ever found up for sale. The square cards are available all the time. I think we may actually have a situation where the round cards went into bread, the square cards went into boxes, and the find added 3000 cards each to the pop of 24 of the square cards.

Here is an image of the cards in the boxes; I guess these would be W571
[linked image]

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 04-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David M

Ok, so based on the cards showing through the front of these boxes, the Festberg "find" was of series 3 and series 4 cards. That means the more difficult to find cards are all from series 1 and 2. Thanks for posting the picture of the boxes.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

But why is there a difference in back color between the Festberg find and the ones that were sold in boxes?

Old 04-08-2009, 03:26 PM
Administrator

The set of 48 (SQUARE) cards in the Sports Star Subjects issue are most likely "excess press runs"
of cards from the original 1947 Bond Bread set. The 1947 ROUND cards were available in Bond bread
from 1947 thru 1948. My guess is that the Sports Star Subjects set was available in 1949 thru the
1950's.

In my opinion, the source of the 3000 cards in the Festberg find are anyone's guess....."reprints" or
whatever. If their backs are discolored ("beige"....as the article described), then they are definitely
not "excess" cards from the original 1947 printing.

This has been my contention from the start, and it still stands. Unless someone can otherwise con-
vince me.

TED Z

Old 04-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Administrator

The pictures for many of the 1947 Bond Bread cards were derived from the Team Photo Packs sold at the souvenir stands at the Stadiums.

Any one know if the same printing firm printed the photos and the cards ?

[linked image]

TED Z

Old 04-15-2009, 10:00 AM
Administrator

JDRUM asked an excellent question earlier in this thread......
"Is there any way to know whether these cards (1947 Bond Bread) were "out" bf the 1947 Tip Top bread cards?"

Jeff.....I've looked into this, and judging from my Tip Top Yankees team sub-set which includes Mel Queen, my best
guess is that the Tip Top set was issued in the Spring of '47. Mel Queen was traded to the Pittsburgh in July of '47.

I did not collect the Tip Top cards as a kid....However, I think it is safe to say that the Bond and Tip Top sets were
issued simultaneously.

I highly recommend to Net54er's to view a video (or read) of the events of the 1947 World Series. There were many
stars in this exciting 7-game series. Over the years it's been very interesting how average ballplayers have raised the
level of their game in World Series play to become the "hero".

Johnny Lindell was such a "hero" in the 1947 W. S. Besides his two tremendous diving catches in LF to squelch Dodger
rallies....his batting Stats led both teams.

6.........Games (injury kept him out of 7th game)
18.......AB
9.........Hits
7.........RBI
.500.....BA
.778.....SLA

[linked image]

TED Z

Old 06-08-2009, 08:22 PM

Default Some more bread, or "shoe" cards

See attached for some movie stars. I thought the back was interesting as I hadn't seen the 46 cards mentioned before like this. The Hess reference looks to be a stamp added after printing.

Last edited by wastewater; 06-08-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:02 PM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Before I begin, let me state that this is an old thread (from early 2009........I can still remember that year as though it was yesterday....).

This is for prosperity and for Ted Z.... The following eBay item just ended:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=230415942970

It was for the complete 24 card '47 Bond Bread imposter cards/set (22 baseball + Joe Louis & Primo Carnera) which were unearthed by Dave Festberg. The seller stated he purchased the set in 1990 from B&J as noted in the SCD article. The card backs were the beige variety not the white version.

I passed on bidding on this item but was surprised to see it only sold for $102 (Nr/Mt set). I have always greatly appreciated everything I have learned (and continue learning) about this set from Ted Z., but at the end of his dissertations it always makes my head hurt. Plus, there is always the possibility that it is in fact a reprinted set. Guess, others feel the same way.

Lovely Day...
Old 12-31-2009, 02:49 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archive View Post
Posted By: boxingcardman

I rescued George from a junk box on a dealer's table because of his association with the Jewish mob. Raft ran with a tough crowd as a kid but happened to be talented enough to have a different route out of poverty. He was a friend of several major crime figures, including Bugsy Siegel and Meyer Lansky.

He also was a pro boxer under the name Brownie Ranft. He had 17 fights before calling it quits.