NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-03-2002, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Default GAI has a "whoops"

Posted By: warshawlaw 

The 10-11-02 SCD has a great expose on the fake 1963 Bazooka cards auctioned lately under the FGA grading service slabs by bassmaster. It's a must-read--way to go Bob!! About time we started seeing some investigative journalism. It only helps the hobby to expose its scummy underbelly.

The most interesting part (besides the Appalachian mining town interrelatedness of the card sellers, graders and marketers) is that GAI graded five of the fake Mantles, then when confronted, Steve Rocchi admitted it was a "mistake". Right. . .

Mr. Rocchi, my three year old wetting herself at camp is a "mistake". Picking up the wrong tray at the fast food is a "mistake." Missing the bowl at 3:30 a.m. is a "mistake." Your supposedly sophisticated grading service grading FIVE extremely high end fake Mantles from the same source is gross negligence.

For those of you playing at home, the score now stands at SGC with a fake Doyle, PSA with a fake Ruth rookie and a color Fro-Joy, PRO with everything it slabs trimmed, GAI with five fake Mantles, and Beckett and CSA--oh, frankly, who cares.

By the way, I also love how the Shop At Home buyer who picked up around 100 of these Mantles sent in five to GAI and the other 95 to FGA, which just happens to be a company he financed and consulted for. No conflicts there, dude. Ironic isn't it that his chums at FGA weren't good enough to authenticate the first five of the bogus cards. Sounds like this guy cleverly covered his @$$ by having a "legit" company opine favorably on a few of the cards so that he could send the rest to the clown college with a legally clear conscience. I wonder how many times he had to shop the cards to grading services before some got through?

I hope that somewhere in hell there is a special room for guys like this to have their genetalia repeatedly slabbed and cracked out throughout eternity.

"I am depressed" -- Taggert in Blazing Saddles.

Old 10-03-2002, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

A problem with grading companies is that they grade way too many items.

From what I understand, the counterfeits looked distinctly different than the genuine. If this is the case, this would mean that GAI examined a card without either knowing what a genuine one looked like or without having a sample card in thier files.

Old trading cards and related can be authenticated without having samples (in some cases samples are not obtained as an item is unique). This authentication happens when the card was produced with antiquated printing that can be easily identied by someone who knows what he/she's doing.

For modern cards, ala Bazooka, it's much more difficult and, barring obvious problems (i.e. printed from a computer printer), having samples or, at the least, a good experience with the issue, is essential.

I've long thought that the graders, even the good ones, will encounter inevitable problems because they try to grade as many cards as is possible. I'm not naive enough to think that they will ever choose to slow down.

Old 10-03-2002, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Sad.

Old 10-03-2002, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

Referring to the above paragraph three-- from what I have seen, PSA has an essential ignorance about printing techniques, and this has lead to some of their goofiest bluders (including Andy's Sporting New Ruth). In my opinion, identification and understand of printing is essential to authentication. I also beleive that some people at MastroNet lack a grasp of the subtlties of printing and photography which has lead to occasional (not common) labelling, description and dating of items in their auctions.

Old 10-03-2002, 11:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

I have two of the fake Bazookas and have been helping Bob Lemke gather information for his story (which I haven't seen yet out here in the remote wilderness of California). The fronts of the fake Bazookas are very good. The backs are a noticeably different color than the originals. I am no expert in Bazookas (I have only one real one) so I was fooled. (Fortunately, I paid only $5 each for mine).

The FGA holders are interesting. They are by far the most difficult holders to break your cards out of. They have a lip all the way around, which makes break outs real tough. These holders have to be real expensive, an odd choice of holders for a forger.

Paul

Old 10-05-2002, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Lemke

A couple of point's in Adam's synopsis are incorrect. GAI did not authenticate/grade five 1963 Bazooka Mantles; they did one Mantle and four other players. Also the fake Mantles sold on Shop at Home were sold ungraded. The Oct. 18 SCD, now in the mail, has a follow-up on the other types of cards faked in this scheme.