NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-31-2017, 04:17 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Default GAI original flips

What did the original GAI flips look like when they first came out? I'm possibly doing a deal/trade on a very high dollar card and hoping it was graded in GAI's infancy. They were silver/black correct? Not White/black... Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 08-31-2017 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:27 PM
David M.

Kevin, try this thread:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=196934

It's got photos of old and new.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:30 PM
Banned

if someone could post how ISA flips changed over the years, that would be helpful too.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:49 PM
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
What did the original GAI flips look like when they first came out? I'm possibly doing a deal/trade on a very high dollar card and hoping it was graded in GAI's infancy. They were silver/black correct? Not White/black... Any help would be greatly appreciated....
Here is an original flip; They were operating somewhere between 3 and 6 months at this point. Unfortunately for me I have 500+ that nobody wants.

scan0011.jpg
Old 08-31-2017, 04:59 PM
Sean Costello

Kevin, here's one that I owned for years. I crossed it to PSA a few years ago without a problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0010.jpg (76.6 KB, 428 views)
Old 08-31-2017, 04:59 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Mr. Stuff beat me to it, but I have this one to show...

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:05 PM
Peter Spaeth

They kept that flip for many years as I recall, well into the period they became less reliable. I wouldn't go by the flip.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-31-2017 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:08 PM
D@le Irv*n

My only one that I purchased last year. At that time I had heard about GAI but someone on here, (forget now?) told me this was also an older flip and with the player and value, I likely had nothing to worry about.

Imo, it is a decent looking card for the grade. (lower left, Wally Westlake.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 52 TP's.jpg (73.0 KB, 379 views)
File Type: jpg Wally Westlake.jpg (49.8 KB, 378 views)
Old 08-31-2017, 06:09 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

The back of the label tells a lot as well. I believe the early labels are slightly different on the back.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:22 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Here's what the back of an early label looks like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (9.5 KB, 370 views)
Old 09-01-2017, 12:53 PM
Bob McLean

The Chicago National previous to the Atlantic City National some guy came up to a company that was taking consignments for an auction with a GAI 10 Pete Rose RC that he had bought at the show. He seemed confused when the folks from the auction house told him the card was counterfeit and that he should take it back to the person who sold it to him for a refund. Something seemed a bit fishy about the way he acted.

Wonder if some of their flips made it out of the factory in an altered state after the company closed down. Much monkey business involved in card grading and altering. Beware anyone who sells you a graded 10 Pete Rose, especially from a company who just went out of business and the price is $1000.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:41 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Overall I think early GAI cards are fine in regards to counterfeits and alterations. Baker knew how to spot counterfeits and alterations. The only caveat would be how "his" type of grading standards holds up today. He, like PSA and SGC have different ares of focus. I know baker wasn't as harsh on surface wrinkles. He once told be personally if he couldn't see it with his naked eye it didn't concern him as much. SGC is tougher on surface wrinkles and back damage. Whereas PSA is tougher on corners.

Also, I would wager that most cards still left in GAI holders have been attempted at a cross over to PSA/SGC but have failed. Not because they are badly graded, but because of a difference in standards.

Early on I got caught up in the GAI hype and had a bunch of PSA cards crossed over. I then had great success at getting those GAI cards into SGC holders at equal grades. One card, a T206 dark cap Matty PSA 5 to GAI 5, would not cross to an SGC 60 due to a small very hard to see surface wrinkle. SGC was harder on surface wrinkles than Baker.

Never tried to cross the GAI cards back to PSA because after hearing the experience of other collectors, I felt PSA HATED GAI and therefore would never cross a GAI card. You'd have to bust the card out and resubmit (Sound familiar?) and didn't want to go that route.

Anyway, my 2 cents of rambling.

Last edited by DeanH3; 09-01-2017 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:56 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanH3 View Post
Early on I got caught up in the GAI hype and had a bunch of PSA cards crossed over. I then had great success at getting those GAI cards into SGC holders at equal grades. One card, a T206 dark cap Matty PSA 5 to GAI 5, would not cross to an SGC 60 due to a small very hard to see surface wrinkle. SGC was harder on surface wrinkles than Baker.
I also got caught up in the GAI hype approximately 12-13 years ago but stopped within a month or two. I ended up with 15-20 key cards from my sets in these holders. Over time I have upgraded/replaced about half of these GAI cards and subsequently sold them off. Surprisingly, some of them sold for as much as similar conditioned BGS cards. IMO, this was because the GAI flips I had were some of their very early flips.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:50 AM
Peter Spaeth

Say what you will about PSA, they have withstood some potentially significant competitive threats like their president and head grader defecting, and never really been hurt.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-02-2017, 02:57 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Say what you will about PSA, they have withstood some potentially significant competitive threats like their president and head grader defecting, and never really been hurt.
What were the reason(s) for that?
Old 09-02-2017, 03:17 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
What were the reason(s) for that?
They left to form GAI. I don't know the motivation, whether it was a rift with David Hall, and/or they thought they could make more money, etc.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-02-2017 at 03:18 PM.