NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-23-2016, 11:57 AM
Jerry

Default Replacement Players

I think their was a couple games played with replacement players during the deadball era. I think when Cobb was suspended in 1912 for going into the stands the Tigers and Athletics played a couple games with suspended players.
Was wondering if these replacements are in the record book and were there any notable replacements.
I could research this myself but thought I would start a pre-war thread.
Old 04-23-2016, 12:44 PM
Owen R

I heard that during that game they used coaches and crowd members to fill in, since all of the Detroit players were on strike in protest of the suspension.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong,

-Owen
Old 04-23-2016, 02:34 PM
S Gross

There is a short story of the event:

Baer, Arthur. "The Crambury Tiger." Collier's (1942).

Yes, it was do to Cobb climbing into NY stands. The entire Detroit team backed him with a letter to Ban Johnson.

I have it in my The Fireside Book of Baseball. It is a GREAT tongue in check story by one of the subs that didn't play (i.e. "Ty climbs into the stands and hands him a dry shave with his knuckles.")

I may be violated copyright, but here is "Detroit's" box score:

zzzzzcobb.jpg

The final score was Athletics 24, Detroit 2.

Sugden actually played 13 years in major around the turn of century, BUT, "is so old he could sleep in swamp without mosquito netting."

McHarg is Billy McHarg (Graham spelled somewhat backward). He was a back room newspaper decision boxer from Philly. Here are his stats:

http://boxrec.com/boxer/125064

As you can see even though he had 74 fights, ONLY 9 were considered legitimate. He was also a slug mobster in the 1919 WS.

L'n'h's'r is either Loopenhouser or Lagenhassinger, neither in Baseball Encyclopedia. Probably a joke.

GREAT read if you can find it.

Fun stuff, Scott
Old 04-23-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybuddyinc View Post
L'n'h's'r is either Loopenhouser or Lagenhassinger, neither in Baseball Encyclopedia. Probably a joke.
L'n'h's'r is actual Bill Leinhauser. If you look up the 1912 Detroit Tigers on Baseball-Reference.com, most of the players who appeared in just one game that season are the replacement players from this game. Also, Baseball-Reference spells the third baseman's name "Maharg", which is Graham spelled backwards.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:10 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

I wrote a story about Bill Leinhauser who replaced Cobb that day and also talk about the what happened that day and how the guys were chosen to be "Replacement Tigers". You can read it HERE

Old 04-23-2016, 07:46 PM
A.J. Johnson

Gary thanks for writing and sharing!
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 04-24-2016, 08:29 AM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

My pleasure! I researched the rest of the "Replacement Tigers" and will eventually get around to posting their stories as well.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:13 PM
T0dd M@rcum

If you have not discovered the Eephus Podcast, there is a very good episode on that event. I think it's called trading places, but I could be mistaken. Nice podcast ...listen most mornings while walking the dog.