NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-25-2016, 02:26 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
And any Yale person worth a lick (including the now-ancient Dr. Frank B from that very 1968 class) knows that Yale lost. The headline from which the documentary takes its title is, IMO, right up there with some of the classics such as "Reds' Brezh Dead."
If the best you have to offer is celebrating a 48 year old tie, more power to you.

It would also be more accurate to note that this game was played in the fall of 1968 by the class of 1969 that graduated the following Spring.

One of my friends at the game met a lad from Harvard in the rest room. After finishing their business the lad from Harvard went to sink and washed his hands. The Yalie headed for the door. The lad from Harvard commented "at Harvard we are taught to wash our hands after using the rest room."

To wit the Yalie responded "at Yale we are taught not to pee on our hands."

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:43 PM
Robert Williams

[QUOTETo wit the Yalie responded "at Yale we are taught not to pee on our hands.][/QUOTE]

ROTFLMAO!!! Touche!
Old 04-25-2016, 03:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
If the best you have to offer is celebrating a 48 year old tie, more power to you.

It would also be more accurate to note that this game was played in the fall of 1968 by the class of 1969 that graduated the following Spring.

One of my friends at the game met a lad from Harvard in the rest room. After finishing their business the lad from Harvard went to sink and washed his hands. The Yalie headed for the door. The lad from Harvard commented "at Harvard we are taught to wash our hands after using the rest room."

To wit the Yalie responded "at Yale we are taught not to pee on our hands."
Bow wow wow or whatever that purported fight song is.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:04 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
The card HAS sold over $100. If he made a sniping error, why didn't he correct it, or cancel the snipe? You have up until 3 minutes until the auction closes to do so.
right..hes good at math but terrible at sniping
Old 04-25-2016, 06:09 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

has anyone asked when this "break" is actually taking place?
Old 04-25-2016, 06:30 PM
$téve VV1lk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
Thankfully, I don't even have to have a well thought out rebuttal to your post since it's logic is somewhat flawed, but mostly because your reputation precedes you. Carry on.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:33 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
He made ONE MISTAKE. Good grief.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:34 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkiebaby11 View Post
Thankfully, I don't even have to have a well thought out rebuttal to your post since it's logic is somewhat flawed, but mostly because your reputation precedes you. Carry on.
I think you are the one building a reputation ..i never been accused of trying to alter a committed sale or anything negative ever about the actual transaction of buying and selling a card..(or 50+ posts on the topic where i have to defend a failed transaction)

Arguing about the merits of hitting for a cycle is one thing, being accused of unfair dealings in buying cards is another...and yes i know you would of bought the card, but trying to alter the deal over 10-20 bucks can go against a reputation.

I guess my logic is flawed and you are great at sniping and never make mistakes, sorry for my misunderstanding....

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 04-25-2016 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:36 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I think you are the one building a reputation ..i never been accused of trying to alter a committed sale or anything negative ever about the actual transaction of buying and selling a card.. I guess my logic is flawed and you are great at sniping, sorry for my misunderstanding....
And he would have completed the transaction had Bob not agreed to cancel it, I am sure. He did nothing wrong asking Bob if he would make an accommodation given that his bid was a mistake.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:42 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
And he would have completed the transaction had Bob not agreed to cancel it, I am sure. He did nothing wrong asking Bob if he would make an accommodation given that his bid was a mistake.
How was his bid a mistake, he said my logic was flawed that he was bad in sniping(meaning his is great at it) Also i think bobby would dispute that he was going to pay timely...

I do agree its not a big deal, but my comment wasnt a big deal and he chose to bring up 'reputation', I not sure that was the right route for him to go with my comment....'he is good at math but bad at sniping' not sure how that was worth his wierd post.

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 04-25-2016 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:48 PM
$téve VV1lk

Quote:
Arguing about the merits of hitting for a cycle is one thing, being accused of unfair dealings in buying cards is another...and yes i know you would of bought the card, but trying to alter the deal over 10-20 bucks can go against a reputation.

I guess my logic is flawed and you are great at sniping and never make mistakes, sorry for my misunderstanding....
I made a mistake. I owned up to it. I asked for a possibilty of understanding, from one collector/net54 member to another. "Altering" the auction implies that I did it on purpose. That is not true. I only asked for empathy. I didnt get it, so I moved on... But wait.... there's now a post about me, and another from members asking what was going on. Drama then incurs.

Now I am just trying to defend myself, not the transaction. I think that most people would give me the benefit of the doubt. I explained myself well, I haven't ever done this before and I am not a nuisance at all on these boards. Pretty sure Robert is the first person that I've ever upset on here. And our transaction should have stayed private. As I thought me asking of a favor was harmless as the end result would have been either a) Bobby tells me to 'pound sand' and I pay for the item or b) Bobby does me "a solid" and helps me out. Was going to be a) until all of this drama.

Hopefully this post isn't "weird".

Last edited by wilkiebaby11; 04-25-2016 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:52 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
I made a mistake. I owned up to it. I asked for a possibilty of understanding, from one collector/net54 member to another. "Altering" the auction implies that I did it on purpose. That is not true. I only asked for empathy. I didnt get it, so I moved on... But wait.... there's now a post about me, and another from members asking what was going on. Drama then incurs.

Now I am just trying to defend myself, not the transaction. I think that most people would give me the benefit of the doubt. I explained myself well, I haven't ever done this before and I am not a nuisance at all on these boards. Pretty sure Robert is the first person that I've ever upset on here. And our transgression should have stayed private. As I thought me asking of a favor was harmless as the end result would have been either a) Bobby tells me to 'pound sand' and I pay for the item or b) Bobby does me "a solid" and helps me out. Was going to be a) until all of this drama.

nah this post is fine..glad no argument about paying a decent chunk more than VCP means has to be a mistake on a card thats hard to find centered which is centered...

i have had back and forths with robert as well..but you can see now that people jump in on threads no matter of what actually is presented on the thread..now you got a little taste.....
Old 04-25-2016, 06:55 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

Now I am just trying to defend myself, not the transaction. I think that most people would give me the benefit of the doubt. I explained myself well, I haven't ever done this before and I am not a nuisance at all on these boards. Pretty sure Robert is the first person that I've ever upset on here. And our transgression should have stayed private. As I thought me asking of a favor was harmless as the end result would have been either a) Bobby tells me to 'pound sand' and I pay for the item or b) Bobby does me "a solid" and helps me out. Was going to be a) until all of this drama.

LOL you mean our transaction, not our transgression, I presume.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:04 PM
$téve VV1lk

Quote:
LOL you mean our transaction, not our transgression, I presume.
Yes... haha. Just let be be a stereotypical math nerd and have incorrect grammar!

At least I was write, I mean right, on the "do me a solid" idiom.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:08 PM
Kev1n @1les

Late to the party but count me among those who speak on Steve's behalf. He has been a tremendous help to me in my quest as we have done several deals. He even went so far as to tip me off when a card on my want list was at a fair BIN price - when he could have purchased and put a premium on it and sold it to me. I had a post a couple of years ago because I did almost the identical thing. I put a bid in early and added an extra 0. I asked how to do a bid retraction. What followed was an assault on character. I was more than happy to pay whatever price and "take my medicine" but I feared getting shilled to ridiculous amounts. If we could just trust the process, things would work out and we would be fine - but with all of the ugly stuff in the hobby people tend to be on edge and assume the worst in folks.

I think Bobby is a great guy as well. He has sold me great material and we were going to partner on an REA lot last year if we got our price. Having dealt with both parties, I believe that positive intent was there. Sometimes fingers get fat. I am not sure why Bobby is exiting the hobby for a while, but perhaps every dollar sold really matters and it is an emotional time. Maybe everything is cool and he just wants to liquidate - I obviously don't know and don't want to presume - but I guess point being that the payment timing and amount of the sale could carry extra significance. All I know is that I come to this board to learn from the best, to chat with folks who love the same stuff that I do - because I normally get blank stares when I talk about it, and I occasionally get good deals. This high tension stuff is what I deal with in the normal crazy work day. Net54 is my escape. All in all, a bummer situation between two fantastic, honorable guys that has been remedied. I will now go look lovingly at my SGC80 '61 Marichal that is a tad OC and wish that it was a centered PSA6 because they now go for over 100 bucks!!

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set
Old 04-25-2016, 07:24 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
I will now go look lovingly at my SGC80 '61 Marichal that is a tad OC and wish that it was a centered PSA6 because they now go for over 100 bucks!!
Thank you for your kind words!! Why stop at the SGC 6 Marichal (don't get me started on the SGC vs PSA price disparities)? Go ahead and pull out that PSA 7 Joe Namath rookie card that will soon be over $10,000!

An unfortunate situation indeed. VCP is both a blessing and a curse. It is the best thing going though, compared to SMR and Beckett, for the baseball card market. Just not a be all that ends all.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:28 PM
$téve VV1lk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Thank you for your kind words!! Why stop at the SGC 6 Marichal (don't get me started on the SGC vs PSA price disparities)? Go ahead and pull out that PSA 7 Joe Namath rookie card that will soon be over $10,000!

An unfortunate situation indeed. VCP is both a blessing and a curse. It is the best thing going though, compared to SMR and Beckett, for the baseball card market. Just not a be all that ends all.
Gonna second Bobby on thanks for the kind words. Unfortunate situation between us. It's done though, so that's a relief.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:06 AM
Rich Klein

Of course, there is always the option of actually making a bid during the auction instead of sniping. If he had done that, he would have had plenty of time to realize he made a mistake and fixed his incorrect bid

Rich
Old 04-26-2016, 09:19 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Of course, there is always the option of actually making a bid during the auction instead of sniping. If he had done that, he would have had plenty of time to realize he made a mistake and fixed his incorrect bid

Rich
LOL!! Bidding? What do you think Ebay is? An auction house?? (kidding of course)
Old 04-26-2016, 09:22 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post

Rich
There is ZERO reason to bid on a card in the course of an ebay auction.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-26-2016 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:31 AM
An$on

Quote:
There is ZERO reason to bid on a card in the course of an ebay auction.
While I agree with this for the most part (so much so that I hardly ever bid myself until the last minute or via snipe), snipes are not 100% locks. I've never had a problem with one but know that several here have had issues when their site (i.e. Gavelsnipe) has occasional glitches.

If I were bidding on an item that rarely came around and I couldn't be available to place a late bid, I might consider placing an earlier bid. But agree with you for the most part in that bidding early is unnecessary most of the time.
T207 (200/200)
E90-1 (118/121)
E90-3 (20/20)
E91A/B/C (96/99)
E93 (17/30)
E95/96 (26/55)
C59-61 (149/248)
N28/N29 A&G (84/100)
1901-02 Ogden Tabs (1,327/1,560)
1933-41 Goudey (265/478)
1939-41 Play Ball (381/473)

Complete: E47, E49, E50, E75, E76, E229, K4, N88, N91, R136, T29, T30, T38, T51, T53, T68, T73, T77, T118, T218, T220, T225, W512, W513, W542, W552, W565, Dozens of smaller uncategorized sets

Founder:
www.prewarcards.com
Old 04-26-2016, 09:36 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozumeleno View Post
While I agree with this for the most part (so much so that I hardly ever bid myself until the last minute or via snipe), snipes are not 100% locks. I've never had a problem with one but know that several here have had issues when their site (i.e. Gavelsnipe) has occasional glitches.

If I were bidding on an item that rarely came around and I couldn't be available to place a late bid, I might consider placing an earlier bid. But agree with you for the most part in that bidding early is unnecessary most of the time.
I have never had an issue with justsnipe.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:36 AM
$téve VV1lk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozumeleno View Post

It's unfortunately how eBay is. I used to not snipe and I never won items if I bid too early, or I missed them completely if I couldnt get to my computer in time.

If eBay disabled the ability to snipe bids (if they even can is another story), then everyone would be on an even playing field. But I strongly feel that those that snipe (and do it correctly, doh!) are at an advantage.

If you can't beat, join them.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:41 AM
An$on

Quote:
I have never had an issue with justsnipe.
Yeah, that doesn't surprise me - 99.99% of the time I don't think it's an issue. And I never had one with Gavelsnipe, either, which is why I continue to go that route. But I do know that Gavelsnipe has had outages and members here have on occasion had a problem.

To me, I'm willing to take the chance that I won't have a problem and most of the stuff I'm pursuing isn't generally all that rare. But if I were watching a very tough item and knew I couldn't be around to place a late bid, I might be inclined to bid early.
T207 (200/200)
E90-1 (118/121)
E90-3 (20/20)
E91A/B/C (96/99)
E93 (17/30)
E95/96 (26/55)
C59-61 (149/248)
N28/N29 A&G (84/100)
1933-41 Goudey (265/478)

Complete: E47, E49, E50, E75, E76, E229, K4, N88, N91, R136, T29, T30, T38, T51, T53, T68, T73, T77, T118, T218, T220, T225, W512, W513, W542, W552, W565, Dozens of smaller uncategorized sets

Founder:
www.prewarcards.com
Old 04-26-2016, 09:44 AM
An$on

Quote:
It's unfortunately how eBay is. I used to not snipe and I never won items if I bid too early, or I missed them completely if I couldnt get to my computer in time.

If eBay disabled the ability to snipe bids (if they even can is another story), then everyone would be on an even playing field. But I strongly feel that those that snipe (and do it correctly, doh!) are at an advantage.

If you can't beat, join them.
I've found it's essential for me since I have a short attention span.

I cannot begin to tell you the number of times I've gotten the 15-minute heads up from eBay's app when an item I'm watching is ending soon and forgotten about it and missed out, anyway. It got to a point where it was happening so frequently that I had to go the snipe route. If eBay ended it somehow and I were forced to bid earlier, I'd have no problems with that. But until then, it's a lifesaver for me.
T207 (200/200)
E90-1 (118/121)
E90-3 (20/20)
E91A/B/C (96/99)
E93 (17/30)
E95/96 (26/55)
C59-61 (149/248)
N28/N29 A&G (84/100)
1933-41 Goudey (265/478)

Founder:
www.prewarcards.com