NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-12-2018, 07:58 AM
Rob

Not nearly on par with the OPs experience....but just a recent "funny excuse" story. Last week I won an early 70's Pro Bowl pennant that I didn't need...but bidding was at $0.99 in the closing seconds so I said what the heck. I won the thing for $1.25.

A couple days later...tragedy struck. I get a message from the seller stating that just as he was packaging my pennant for shipment, his mother dropped a glass of water shattering it and spraying my pennant in the process. He was sure I would no longer want it in "that condition" (i.e....wet) and apologized for the inconvenience. I said no...that's fine. I still want it. Haven't received it yet.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:12 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Not nearly on par with the OPs experience....but just a recent "funny excuse" story. Last week I won an early 70's Pro Bowl pennant that I didn't need...but bidding was at $0.99 in the closing seconds so I said what the heck. I won the thing for $1.25.

A couple days later...tragedy struck. I get a message from the seller stating that just as he was packaging my pennant for shipment, his mother dropped a glass of water shattering it and spraying my pennant in the process. He was sure I would no longer want it in "that condition" (i.e....wet) and apologized for the inconvenience. I said no...that's fine. I still want it. Haven't received it yet.
LOL. Thanks for the chuckle.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:00 AM
D.mitr.y D.

Quote:

Definitely an excuse to not sell an item that sold for an amount lower than the seller expected.

If a seller is expecting a certain amount, why not just list it as a Buy-It-Now and avoid these types of shenanigans?

Then again, I bought a BIN and the seller pulled the same crap...

Last edited by sterlingfox; 06-12-2018 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:01 PM

My cat actually did eat one of my cards (a 1952 Topps Feller) that was on ebay. Being that it happened with 6 hours left I only had an unbelievable story that made me look like a flake.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:15 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
My cat actually did eat one of my cards (a 1952 Topps Feller) that was on ebay. Being that it happened with 6 hours left I only had an unbelievable story that made me look like a flake.
I had a cat years ago that somehow knew what the valuable cards were and if I didn't play with the cat when he wanted to play, I would end up finding teeth marks on those cards. He was kinda like a little brother.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 06-13-2018, 07:46 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie73 View Post
I had a cat years ago that somehow knew what the valuable cards were and if I didn't play with the cat when he wanted to play, I would end up finding teeth marks on those cards. He was kinda like a little brother.
Teething cats and baseball cards are not a good combo. One time I found our Beagle (*RIP) with a Schapira Big Show HOF'er in her mouth. It was in an ultra pro holder with teeth marks but escaped injury itself. That was a close call.

As far as ebay finds, I have had several sales canceled due to board members spouting off about them here, before the cards were shipped. IT sucks.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:16 PM
Brian
Brian Long.ley

Guess what??? It seems the sale that never materialized has made itself back on eBay.... different seller, but same holder and it doesn't seem damaged at all. Current asking price is now a bit over $5k....

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F123214423640

Last edited by BLongley; 06-26-2018 at 05:19 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:13 PM
Howard Chernick

Similar things happen to eBay sellers. I had a buyer who won a high priced card from me. Less than an hour after he won the card, he told me that he no longer wanted it because he found it cheaper somewhere else.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 07-02-2018, 06:23 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie73 View Post
I have four cats and sometimes have cards out as I'm watching a game. When one of the felines comes close to the latter, I gently pick him up and scold it, "Cats and cards don't mix!"

Good story,

Larry
Old 07-02-2018, 07:44 PM
Joey D's In Da House!

Default Tsk tsk

Dmitry - you really DO owe an apology as you made several defamatory comments to them, spread rumors which can’t be proven, and were quite rude and obnoxious to them. What is particularly surprising is how well they handled the situation - showing you empathy, when another person in the same situation might have ended up filing suit against you.

Joe - I collect primarily cards (otherwise would add you to my watched sellers) but think you handled this situation extremely professionally

Successful transactions buy/sell/trade with: BryanDec, Bounce, Swanstars, PiratesWS1979, unamuzd1, joshchisox08, and others

Last edited by Roulette44; 07-02-2018 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-02-2018, 08:24 PM
Mike Ryan

So the "incredible Ebay find" didn't materialize and what could have been the "FLIP of the month" didn't happen. Too bad.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:23 AM
James
James Kin.chen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulette44 View Post
Dmitry - you really DO owe an apology as you made several defamatory comments to them, spread rumors which can’t be proven, and were quite rude and obnoxious to them. What is particularly surprising is how well they handled the situation - showing you empathy, when another person in the same situation might have ended up filing suit against you.
I agree 100%
Old 07-03-2018, 09:03 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulette44 View Post
I agree. Also, the OP keeps saying that Joe needs to prove his innocence (see post #62 for starters), but that is backwards. The burden of proof is on OP to show that Joe acted nefariously, and he hasn't done that. He has offered up conjectures and speculation about what happened, but nothing in the way of concrete proof, and after 140 posts on the topic, I am skeptical of any turning up. Lastly, and this may be my cynical side getting the best of me, but I think some perspective is needed here: if you have $1,200 to spend on a piece of cardboard that has a true value of $3000-4000, then your problems can't be all that bad.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:

After reading your various posts about issues with receiving pennants I have officially banned pennants and all their felt-like friends from my collection...they just aren't worth the hassle.

Brian (living a cardboard pure life for decades)
Old 06-12-2018, 01:51 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

This is one of the many reasons I never get even a little bit excited about a purchase until it's in my hands. Easy come, easy go.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:35 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
This is one of the many reasons I never get even a little bit excited about a purchase until it's in my hands. Easy come, easy go.
Unfortunately true

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 06-12-2018, 05:04 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
After reading your various posts about issues with receiving pennants I have officially banned pennants and all their felt-like friends from my collection...they just aren't worth the hassle.

Brian (living a cardboard pure life for decades)
Yeah...I've had more than my fair share of interesting experiences. But I've had great ones too. I think the size and shape of pennants leads to a lot of issues. People who don't sell them regularly, don't know how to ship them. And there's also no reference material so they don't know what to expect when they sell them. The good definitely outweighs the bad....but the bad is more fun to talk about.