NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-22-2014, 11:52 AM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Set Drought

I wonder about guys who collect fairly difficult sets, if their experience might mirror mine.
I collect E210-2 York Caramels Type 2.
It's a tough set, I don't know if any one has completed it, nor if anyone really cares since its popularity is probably lower than its availability

Anyway, collecting a set like this is a grind.
I haven't been able to pick up a hit to this list since May , and it was only my second hit all year, the other coming back in January.

I fear it will be another slow year in 2015, maybe even slower since I don't know of any for sale that I don't have.

Anyone else go through droughts like this?
I have other set quests going , but I always reserve some hobby budget aside in case a Paul Waner or Clarence Mitchell York comes around

Whaddya think?

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:03 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytoad View Post
I wonder about guys who collect fairly difficult sets, if their experience might mirror mine.
I collect E210-2 York Caramels Type 2.
It's a tough set, I don't know if any one has completed it, nor if anyone really cares since its popularity is probably lower than its availability

Anyway, collecting a set like this is a grind.
I haven't been able to pick up a hit to this list since May , and it was only my second hit all year, the other coming back in January.

I fear it will be another slow year in 2015, maybe even slower since I don't know of any for sale that I don't have.

Anyone else go through droughts like this?
I have other set quests going , but I always reserve some hobby budget aside in case a Paul Waner or Clarence Mitchell York comes around

Whaddya think?
Ever since my T206 run stalled in the 490's, well actually even earlier than that, I have been chasing most of the E Sets/T201/T207/T210/T212-2/T212-3/ M101-4 and M116 and pretty much anything else that I find that I do not have from the era. I am going against conventional wisdom and chasing the common guys first but I still run into dry spells. My dead zones are not as long as yours but they are still a regal pain. "It just adds to the thrill of the chase.", that's what I tell myself, anyway. I recently posted a BST pleading for T207/T210 and T212. I got responses from two members with no completed transactions. Maybe I will switch to modern, etched sparkly stuff...
Old 09-22-2014, 01:25 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

I seem to be having the opposite issue this year with my e92 Nadja set. When I first started I figured maybe 10-15 years to complete. Last year I was only able to pick up 1 card every now and then and went a couple months between pickups. This year has been just the opposite due to a couple groups I was able to pick up. So I'm now at about 50% complete but expect (and somewhat hoping) that they will start to dry up again.

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 09-22-2014, 01:31 PM
T0dd M@rcum

I always try to do a set that is relatively inexpensive and easy to clip off alongside the more ambitious projects. I am currently finishing a cg-ex 1969 set. Could I finish it any day on ebay? Sure, but it gives me a reason to go to card shows.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:22 PM

Hi Brian,

I hear you on set drought. I collect 1918 Zeenuts, and at this point adding one new card per year may be optimistic.

I even have subset drought, as I am chasing Seattle Zeenuts.

Of course, the fun is in the chase!
Old 09-22-2014, 10:31 PM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

When dealing with something so uncommon, do you end up having to buy what you find at any price? Or is it more that you see things, but finding it at the right price and condition is what makes it tough?
Old 09-22-2014, 11:23 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Buy it if you see it ...several sets are this way, including Andrew's 1918 Zeenuts and my E210-2 (probably less so, since the liklihood of folks just thinking they have a Type-1 and could care less if it really is a Type-2 for the Yorks)

I do collect other sets and singles, so I am still collecting /accumulating often enough to keep the juices flowing, but this particular quest is stalled seriously.

I imagine if you collect 19th century cards you'd have to consider buying any one that you need. Several other sets in the tobacco or caramel era would probably be the same thing....there isn't a large inventory of certain sets.

I collect 1952-1980 Topps, I need about 300 cards and I could finish the run tonight if I wanted to just start an eBay marathon and buy them all...no fun in that

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:29 AM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytoad View Post
I imagine if you collect 19th century cards you'd have to consider buying any one that you need. Several other sets in the tobacco or caramel era would probably be the same thing....there isn't a large inventory of certain sets.
After a very good year last year, 2014 has been a little slow for my Old Judge list especially the last couple of months.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:30 AM
Mark Fox

I started a run at T209-IIs about a year and a half ago. I came fast out of the gate in the first couple months with a huge help from one of our resident T209 experts Michael Peich. After that is has slowed to a minute trickle for the past year as I think I've only picked up 2 over the past calendar year.

Last edited by markf31; 09-23-2014 at 05:31 AM.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:21 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Not sure this is relevant, but I am trying to collect every single winning super bowl ring out there. I am down to my final three! That means when a super bowl ring hits the auction house or ebay, there is already a 94% chance I have the ring in my collection.

As I was getting closer over the last few years to completing the run, I realized it was getting harder and harder to find the last few.

So I spend a considerable amount of time networking and taking a step back and trying to figure out new ways to add to my collection.

How about cold calling the largest collectors in the country or large and small card dealers found in the hobby publications? check in with them every 6 months. Create a jpg or pdf showing the cards you need with your email and phone number attached.

Attend the national and give out print outs to people showing what cards you need. heck, even advertise in scd or other places.

Once I figured out that I needed to be proactive, I was able to get a bunch of rings that have never been in the market place.

Two final thoughts: send your want list to auction houses, they do many private deals that do not hit their auctions.

Last, I actually know a couple of collectors who own the rings I need. I call them twice a year to see if and when they are willing to sell. So do spend time compiling a database of people and companies who can help you. It will be well worth your time.

Good luck!

Last edited by sports-rings; 09-23-2014 at 06:23 AM.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:51 AM
Bob Donaldson

Brian,

I (somewhat, my cards aren't as rare) know how you feel. I am collecting E121s in lower grade (G/VG or less) and do not see many cards available, especially now that I've got 60-70% of the set. This of course will get worse as I add cards, thus reducing the cards I need. Still, it is fun. And I've added a few Topps/Bowman sets so that I can at least hit my wantlist whenever I go to a show.

take care

Bob
Old 09-23-2014, 07:52 AM
Brian Horne

I would try to find a cheap group of cards I could start collecting on the side so that I wouldn't feel like I was striking out every time. Pick something that won't cut into the budget much so you still have money for your primary collection when needed.

not sure of your interests but maybe...
First year topps set you collected
T206 cards graded 1
Type card from each set of your favorite team

Last edited by camlov2; 09-23-2014 at 07:53 AM.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:33 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by sports-rings View Post
Not sure this is relevant, but I am trying to collect every single winning super bowl ring out there. I am down to my final three! That means when a super bowl ring hits the auction house or ebay, there is already a 94% chance I have the ring in my collection.

As I was getting closer over the last few years to completing the run, I realized it was getting harder and harder to find the last few.

So I spend a considerable amount of time networking and taking a step back and trying to figure out new ways to add to my collection.

How about cold calling the largest collectors in the country or large and small card dealers found in the hobby publications? check in with them every 6 months. Create a jpg or pdf showing the cards you need with your email and phone number attached.

Attend the national and give out print outs to people showing what cards you need. heck, even advertise in scd or other places.

Once I figured out that I needed to be proactive, I was able to get a bunch of rings that have never been in the market place.

Two final thoughts: send your want list to auction houses, they do many private deals that do not hit their auctions.

Last, I actually know a couple of collectors who own the rings I need. I call them twice a year to see if and when they are willing to sell. So do spend time compiling a database of people and companies who can help you. It will be well worth your time.

Good luck!
This is great advice and I can say it definitely pays off. I have a couple other collectors that let me know when a card is up for auction and I do the same for them. Also, when you do find a card for sale/auction, it doesn't hurt to ask if the seller has any others. By doing this I was able to pick up a nice group of 7 nadjas earlier this year.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 09-23-2014, 09:16 AM

Hi Brian.
My collecting of Seattle Popcorn cards has been in such a drought for years. I have about 72% of the set, and apparently all of the "easy" ones. I did pick up 5 at a PNWSCA show but that was 3-4 shows ago. There have been none on ebay (that I need) for at least 3 years. None are showing up in the auctions. There was a group of 25 on the BST board a year or so ago. The member stated he would only sell them as a group. I needed only one of them so I passed, not wanting to acquire 24 duplicates. Now I'm having second thoughts.

I'm compensating somewhat be collecting other sets like Seattle Zeenuts (hi Andrew) and other Seattle items which are also scarce. I also started on T206's and have has a blast on the BST board. I'm up to 281 T206's now which is a lot of compensating.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:32 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Boot prints

Hey Dave
I thought you could just mosey down to the stadium and look down on the ground for discarded popcorn cards.
If you don't mind a few shoe prints on the cards, you should be able to pick up hundreds of them...
Oh wait

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:01 PM
Brian Horne

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfallen View Post
Hi Brian.
My collecting of Seattle Popcorn cards has been in such a drought for years. I have about 72% of the set, and apparently all of the "easy" ones. I did pick up 5 at a PNWSCA show but that was 3-4 shows ago. There have been none on ebay (that I need) for at least 3 years. None are showing up in the auctions. There was a group of 25 on the BST board a year or so ago. The member stated he would only sell them as a group. I needed only one of them so I passed, not wanting to acquire 24 duplicates. Now I'm having second thoughts.
I know what you mean about large groups of seattle popcorn cards, lol.
Brian
Old 09-24-2014, 10:29 PM

What Brian L is referring to is the story I told him about going to Rainiers games as a kid, mostly 1958 to 61, but as early as 54. It was a quarter for a bleacher ticket and I usually splurged a dime for a box of popcorn. I would look at the "card" inside the box of course, but would just throw it on the floor. Nobody I knew collected the things -- after all, they weren't REAL baseball cards (like Topps). And yes, the stands would be littered with them after the game. If I only knew then what I know now . . .
Old 09-24-2014, 10:33 PM
Luke Lyon

Oh man...
Old 09-25-2014, 01:45 AM
Bill Cohon

Yeah, this resonates. My 1911 Obak's set is a tough slog. It seems like decades elapse between acquisitions.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:35 AM

For me it`s been V100-Willards Chocolate. For 10 years it seemed there were always new ones popping up on ebay or at shows. The last few years there have only been the same BINs on ebay and nothing at the shows including the National-guess they are all happy in collections. Meanwhile I`m stuck at 3/4 of the set. Patience is the lesson.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:07 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The endless slow hunting is the fun of it. If I can add a few new Exhibit cards to some of the sets I collect every year I think of it as a good year. On most of them, the obscure stuff, I end up getting cards only when a group is discovered. My latest, took about ten years to get, the only Exhibit card of Hawaiian surfing legend and Olympic champion swimmer Duke Kahanamoku:

As for price etc., when it comes to cards you may see only once in several years you pay what it takes and take whatever condition you can get.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-25-2014 at 07:08 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:13 AM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
... As for price etc., when it comes to cards you may see only once in several years you pay what it takes and take whatever condition you can get.

+1
Old 09-25-2014, 07:13 AM
pete ullman

Just about everything I'm seeking is in a state of drought...it is frustrating but at the same time I am not looking to broaden my collecting endeavors at this time...so I occupy my time with other things!
Old 09-25-2014, 11:59 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Kahanamoku exhibit

Just found a new card to look out for.