NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-18-2014, 08:58 PM
Sean Costello

Thanks Brian. I really like those Green EPDGs.

Last edited by Sean; 09-18-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:39 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I like the descriptions...

"Like New: An item that looks as if it was just taken out of shrink wrap. "

Old 09-20-2014, 03:54 AM
Mike

I contacted the seller and in the friendliest, politest tone that I could muster, listed as many of the things wrong with those cards as I could (No Factory/Wrong color backs/Bad Name Font/ Black vs. Brown ink/Borders from hell..etc.), before my fingers started to bleed. I suggested that he may want to take the listings down to avoid heartache and headache.

My reward? An e-Mail in my box this morning states, " Thank You for your input."

From now on, though we all know that it is a hit or miss proposition, at best, I will just report all bogus cards to the Bay. It is simpler and probably more accurate to assume that the sellers are punks and not just uniformed.

Last edited by Bocabirdman; 09-20-2014 at 03:54 AM.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocabirdman View Post
I contacted the seller and in the friendliest, politest tone that I could muster, listed as many of the things wrong with those cards as I could (No Factory/Wrong color backs/Bad Name Font/ Black vs. Brown ink/Borders from hell..etc.), before my fingers started to bleed. I suggested that he may want to take the listings down to avoid heartache and headache.

My reward? An e-Mail in my box this morning states, " Thank You for your input."

From now on, though we all know that it is a hit or miss proposition, at best, I will just report all bogus cards to the Bay. It is simpler and probably more accurate to assume that the sellers are punks and not just uniformed.
Mike,

I appreciate it, but I fear that both of us will end up with keyboard carpal tunnel.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:16 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I am not a 70s Topps collector but those of his actually look ok from the scans, albeit not high grade.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:10 PM
Michael S.

I am just getting started into T206's and very often I see people who can quickly identify fakes from online pictures. I know this is a skill I need to acquire (so as not to get screwed over), but I don't have it yet.

What do you see so quickly? What are you picking up on that the untrained eye is missing?
Old 09-22-2014, 05:38 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocabirdman View Post

In this post earlier I rattled off a few easy points. Let me know if any of them do not make sense to you and I can provide more details..

Last edited by Bocabirdman; 09-22-2014 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:45 PM
Michael S.

No, I read and understood your point.

I guess my question is - Is there a source that can inform me on those points (and others) or is it just loads of practice looking at EPDG's? Do they all have uniform back coloration? What font am I looking for? Do they always have a factory?

As I said, I want to begin this set, but want to know as much as I can before I begin, so I don't purchase cards like those, or similar ones.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:27 PM
Pau.l C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmount76 View Post

I guess my question is - Is there a source that can inform me on those points (and others) or is it just loads of practice looking at EPDG's? Do they all have uniform back coloration? What font am I looking for? Do they always have a factory?

As I said, I want to begin this set, but want to know as much as I can before I begin, so I don't purchase cards like those, or similar ones.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-1910-T2...item1e9217f9bf

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T206-Mike-Do...item2595c51835

Look at the difference in type on the name and team- The first listing - the fake has a different looking font or type.
The EPDG's have red print on the backs, not green or other colors.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:48 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:

Maybe this will help:

1- When I first saw the Donlin, my initial thought was that this card looked too good to be true. The corners were nearly perfect, and on a 100 year old card that is extremely unlikely. Not impossible, but I thought that the card was likely a fake.
2- Then I notice that the white borders are too large. On a real T206 they would be smaller. If you can't tell the difference yet, I suggest you buy some raw cards from our BST board and use them for comparison.
3- When I look closer I see that the name is printed in the wrong font and color. This is a dead giveaway. The font on the fakes is taller and thinner than on a real T206. Again, get some real cards for comparison. Also, the fakes are printed in Black ink. T206s were printed in Brown ink.
4- I look at the back, and I notice that there are no Factory, District and State numbers on the bottom, meaning that this is a real cheap-ass reprint. All T206 backs were printed with these numbers. If a card has these numbers it could still be a fake, but if they are missing, there is no doubt that it's a reprint. To see examples of how they should look, go to T206resource.com and check the back gallery.
5- Looking at some of the other cards, I notice that the EPDG backs are printed in blue or dark green. Real EPDG backs are always printed in red ink. These cards are so bad that it's laughable. Check the T206resource.com site. It will show the correct color for each back.

So to make a long story short (if that's possible at this point):use the above website, get a couple real cards, and if you still aren't sure, ask the Board. Feel free to PM me if you have a specific question or card you wish to ask about. I'm always happy to help, and so are most of the Net54 Board members.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:47 PM
Michael S.

After looking at the link and then looking at the examples - it really is laughable! Thanks for the heads up - As I begin taking on The Monster, I need to be able to do this on my own...

This was so helpful and informative!
Old 09-24-2014, 11:21 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
After looking at the link and then looking at the examples - it really is laughable! Thanks for the heads up - As I begin taking on The Monster, I need to be able to do this on my own...

This was so helpful and informative!
And that is precisely what I hope this board is for.....besides the Group Breaks!!
Old 09-24-2014, 01:16 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
And that is precisely what I hope this board is for.....besides the Group Breaks!!
And the t-shirts.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:18 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
And the t-shirts.
I am here for the women.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:24 PM

Default Reasons:

... I like pictures of quarters...
Old 09-24-2014, 01:33 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGarcia View Post
... I like pictures of quarters...
As you see by my avatar, I like quarters of pictures......