NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-24-2014, 07:31 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Default Did Joe Dugan Collect T206 As A Teenager? Research Help Needed

I just purchased a T206 Black Cap Christy Mathewson last night. On the back of the card someone has written "J Dugan" in fountain pen.

My questions: Is it possible that Joe Dugan (then age 12-14) collected T206 cards before he became a baseball star? If so, is there any possible way to come up with supporting evidence?

On the plus side:

Could this be a forgery?

Would not make much sense as it is not the player pictured on the card and by the time anyone would want to monetarily gain from such a thing, the Matty card itself would have had too much value to deface it with a forged fairly common signature.

Dugan at ages 12-14 upon release of the T206 set would be right in the collecting sweet spot. He was certainly the right age.

He was obviously a baseball fan at that point.

The signature itself. The "D" in Dugan looks very much like the exemplars that I have seen, and the rest of the last name is fairly close.

If he were "signing" a T206 Matty card later on (why would he even do that?) why would he not sign his full name instead of just "J Dugan"?

The problems:

How can I possibly authenticate the signature of a 12 year old and compare it to even the earliest examples of his signature and find a match? Will it not be expected that there will be differences?

The "J" is problematic in relation to the exemplars that I have seen. Then again, as I said above, would this not be somewhat expected of the signature of a 12 year old?

I have not found anything that points to Dugan having stated that he collected as a child.

Why have none others surfaced such as this if he had a collection? Maybe he just did this for his favorite player (Matty)?

I need the help of the board members.

I need to research whether he ever mentioned having collected as a kid. He lived until 1982, so he may have made mention of it somewhere. He did give interviews, was a speaker at a SABR convention in the mid 1970's, and was a very willing signor. Seems like a good guy who was happy to reminisce about his life. I am hoping that somewhere I can find something that mentions it. Where would I look? Does anyone have anywhere that they could find some info for me?

Also, did he ever mention having any special affinity for Matty growing up? He was born around the time that Matty would have been a star at Bucknell just 50 miles away. Dugan's family then moved to Connecticut and was 110 miles from NYC. Perhaps his family felt a special closeness to Matty as a player?

Any help regarding information or leads on where I can look for this info would be greatly appreciated.

Tom C
Old 09-24-2014, 09:24 AM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

I hope you find some leads, because this has the potential of being a fascinating discovery. Best of luck!
Old 09-24-2014, 10:16 AM
Scott

Very interesting indeed. But IDK.... that doesn't really look like a 12-14 year old's handwriting to me. But that was a different time back then, so IDK lol
Old 09-24-2014, 10:39 AM

I didn't know there was a time limit upon release of the cards for people to sign them. I've been breaking that code left and right recently with my stash of 1987 Topps cards
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 09-24-2014, 10:55 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
I didn't know there was a time limit upon release of the cards for people to sign them. I've been breaking that code left and right recently with my stash of 1987 Topps cards
Understood. However, I have seen hundreds of Dugan signatures from singles to teams to groupings to cut and have not once seen one that he signed simply "J Dugan". That obviously doesn't exclude the possibility that (if this is his signature) that he couldn't have signed it like that just this once.

Also, why would he sign the back of a Christy Mathewson T206 card later in life? Perhaps if he happened upon it in the 30's or 40's and did it perhaps. But the "J" is nothing like what his signature looked like from the mid 1920's on.

Tom C

Last edited by btcarfagno; 09-24-2014 at 10:56 AM.