NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-22-2014, 04:41 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sago View Post
Hernandez is GOAT fielding first baseman. His range made the entire infield better. Overall better than Olerud.
If Hernandez is the best-fielding 1B of all-time, Olerud is only a hair behind.

Offensively, Olerud hit 93 more homers in 146 more games. They had essentially the same batting average (.296 vs .295) with Olerud having a higher slugging percentage (.465 vs .436) and essentially the same OPS+ (129 vs 128). Hernandez won a (shared) MVP but never had a season that approached Olerud's 1993 - .363 average, .473 OBP, .599 slug, OPS+ of 186.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbspelly
According to one sabermetric stat (Total Zone Runs), Hernandez's defense saved 117 runs in his career, the most ever for a first baseman. Olerud comes in fourth at 97, still excellent, but nearly 20% behind.
So, defensively, the difference between them was 20 runs over the course of 2100 games (or so). A run every 105 games. I believe that difference would qualify as "statistically insignificant".

And, in the end, we're talking about what is, by FAR, the least-important (other than pitcher) and easiest position defensively. But among the guys who played that position, we're talking about Hernandez and Olerud - the elite of the elite defensively. They are really, really close defensively and really, really close offensively. If anything, Olerud was the best offensive player. And yet there are folks who advocate for Hernandez to be in the HOF but dismiss Olerud out-of-hand. That doesn't compute.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:17 PM
Banned

Hernandez had a shorter career than Olerud, but still finished with higher career totals for putouts and assists. And while Hernandez did not ever hit .363 (.344 in his MVP year is pretty good), outside of a .350 plus year, neither did Olerud.

And pretty sure left field is less important and easier than first base.

Last edited by sago; 09-22-2014 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:48 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sago
Hernandez had a shorter career than Olerud, but still finished with higher career totals for putouts and assists. And while Hernandez did not ever hit .363 (.344 in his MVP year is pretty good), outside of a .350 plus year, neither did Olerud.
Yes, Hernandez had more putouts and assists. A lot more. You think playing in the era of astro turf might have something to do with the putouts? Perhaps. Regardless, I've never made the argument that they were equal defensively. Hernandez is universally regarded as the GOAT at first. No problem with that. But Olerud was really, really close (see the above "runs saved" stat).

As for their offense...I don't quite follow. You're saying, "Sure, Hernandez hit that well but neither did Olerud...except that other time that he did." So Hernandez had his 1979 but Olerud had 1993 and 1998 that were both better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sago
And pretty sure left field is less important and easier than first base.
How do I know first base is easier and less important than LF? Cuz Mo Vaughn, David Ortiz, and Miguel Cabrera all play(ed) 1B and would have no prayer of ever being able to play LF.

Last edited by Tabe; 09-22-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
Yes, Hernandez had more putouts and assists. A lot more. You think playing in the era of astro turf might have something to do with the putouts? Perhaps. Regardless, I've never made the argument that they were equal defensively. Hernandez is universally regarded as the GOAT at first. No problem with that. But Olerud was really, really close (see the above "runs saved" stat).

As for their offense...I don't quite follow. You're saying, "Sure, Hernandez hit that well but neither did Olerud...except that other time that he did." So Hernandez had his 1979 but Olerud had 1993 and 1998 that were both better.

How do I know first base is easier and less important than LF? Cuz Mo Vaughn, David Ortiz, and Miguel Cabrera all play(ed) 1B and would have no prayer of ever being able to play LF.
Normalize for American League being easier to hit in if you want to argue about Astroturf. Putting a bunch of slow guys in left field is silly. What is also silly is comparing fielding bunts, sharper reaction times, and a host of other pitch by pitch skills versus, essentially, catching fly balls and making the shortest relay and throws to home of any outfield position.

Anyway, agree to disagree.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:14 PM

If you look at the JAWS system (http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/jaws_1B.shtml) a statistical case can be made that Hernandez is more than a borderline HOFer. There are 11 HOF 1B ranked ahead of him (Gehrig, Foxx, Anson, Connor, Brouthers, Mize, F. Thomas (DH), McCovey, Murray, Greenberg, and Sisler). There are 7 HOF 1B ranked lower than him (Terry, Beckley, Perez, Cepeda, Chance, Bottomley, Kelly). So statistically and quantitatively, he is right in the mix. More subjectively, other than the fact that I watched him play for five years and considered him the best player on the Mets, the fact that he won an MVP, was a key member of two different World Champions, was the greatest fielder of all-time at 1B, and IS ALREADY famous, he is more than worthy of being in the Hall of Fame.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:47 PM
Peter Spaeth

OLERUD.

Black Ink Batting - 7 (326), Average HOFer ≈ 27

Gray Ink Batting - 51 (504), Average HOFer ≈ 144

Hall of Fame Monitor Batting - 68 (292), Likely HOFer ≈ 100

Hall of Fame Standards Batting - 39 (180), Average HOFer ≈ 50

JAWS First Base (20th), 58.0 career WAR/38.9 7yr-peak WAR/48.5 JAWS
Average HOF 1B (out of 19) = 65.9 career WAR/42.4 7yr-peak WAR/54.2 JAWS

HERNANDEZ

Black Ink Batting - 14 (170), Average HOFer ≈ 27

Gray Ink Batting - 118 (173), Average HOFer ≈ 144

Hall of Fame Monitor Batting - 86 (215), Likely HOFer ≈ 100

Hall of Fame Standards Batting - 32 (266), Average HOFer ≈ 50

JAWS First Base (18th), 60.0 career WAR/41.0 7yr-peak WAR/50.5 JAWS
Average HOF 1B (out of 19) = 65.9 career WAR/42.4 7yr-peak WAR/54.2 JAWS

Let's just say NO to both and move on.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-22-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:25 PM

I guess Ozzie Smith shouldn't be in the HOF either, huh?

Black Ink Batting - 2 (617), Average HOFer ≈ 27

Gray Ink Batting - 51 (504), Average HOFer ≈ 144

Hall of Fame Monitor Batting - 142 (95), Likely HOFer ≈ 100

Hall of Fame Standards Batting - 35 (219), Average HOFer ≈ 50
Old 09-22-2014, 09:18 PM
Peter Spaeth

Ozzie qualifies in one category, unlike the other two. And you expect much better batting stats from your first baseman than your shortstop. So when the shortstop is the greatest ever, you can forgive him a 2500 hit career with 600 steals.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:16 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post

Let's just say NO to both and move on.
That's exactly the point I'm making.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:24 PM
Bill Gregory

I'm reading this, and surprised that there is any question about Reggie Jackson and Harmon Killebrew being Hall of Famers. Their career batting averages notwithstanding, both men were titans throughout their careers. Killebrew just mashed, and he did so during what is considered the second dead ball era, which , depending on which writer you talk to, extended either from 1964-1972, or 1963-1976. The first is what I have typically seen mentioned. Killebrew became a full time player in 1959, and his career ended in 1975. During that dead ball era, Killebrew hit 318 home runs, leading the AL in homers three times: 1964 (49), 1967 (44), and 1969 (49). He also hit 39 in 1966, and 41 in 1970. Only Hank Aaron (334) hit more home runs during that period than Killebrew, and he played that entire period in the National League, while Killebrew played in the American League, which was more affected by the era. Killebrew won six home run titles, three RBI titles, and led the league in walks four times. He won one MVP, and finished in the top five five other times. Reggie was a lot like Harmon. Just monstrous power. He didn't lead the league as many times, but there is no doubt the guy was a superstar in his era. Reggie won four home run titles, 1973 (32), 1975 (36), 1980 (41), 1982 (39). Just by comparing Reggie's titles to Harmon's, it's apparent that even though Harmon played in a tough era, there just weren't that many home runs being hit during Reggie's time. Reggie had some other big power years. He hit 47 in 1969, and didn't lead he league because Harmon hit 49. He hit 32 in both 1971 and 1977, and hit 29 home runs three different times, in 1968, 1974 and 1979.

Killebrew hit 573 home runs and drove in 1,584 runs. He walked 1,559 times.
Reggie hit 563 home runs and drove in 1,702 runs. He walked 1,375 times.

Both guys did their fair share of striking out, especially Reggie. But when you look back when they both played, these are the guys that put butts in the seat. There should be no question that both these guys belong, regardless of their batting average. .

Getting back to Keith Hernandez. Yes, he saved x amount of runs during his career. And that may not be a lot more than John Olerud's. But Hernandez revolutionized first base defense. There are more runs that he saved that will never show up in stats because certain plays were never attempted. When Keith Hernandez was on first base, other teams stopped bunting, because he was so aggressive. He would charge home plate, and throw out the runner advancing to second. Or, he would charge the bunter, and throw a strike to third while the pitcher covered first. That just didn't happen before Hernandez came along, at least not with the incredible frequency. And if you had a runner at third, you just didn't try to bunt to Keith's side. He was so accurate throwing the ball, he would get the ball to home before the runner arrived, and his throws put the catcher in perfect position. Hernandez was incredible at scooping pitches out of the dirt. He just did so many things at a high level. I remember on three, maybe four different occasions watching him grab bloop fly ball right inside the first base line, do a somersault, and make a perfect throw to the pitcher covering first base. I mean the guy was incredible to watch. I was never a Keith Hernandez fan, but the times I got to see him play, he always seemed to do something spectacular. And I wasn't used to seeing a first baseman that could move like he did. First basemen were big, lumbering guys who hit home runs, and if you were lucky, they weren't terrible defensively.

Hernandez deserved the eleven straight Gold Gloves he won. He won a couple Silver Sluggers, too. Most of the guys we discussed in the thread I started were pretty much borderline at best for the Hall, but Hernandez is a guy that I feel should have gotten a lot more consideration then he got. The guy was a winner, too. The Cardinals won the World Series with him in 1982. The Mets in 1983 were 68-94, and they hadn't won at least 70 games since 1976. The next year with Hernandez, the Mets go 90-72. In 1985 they add Gary Carter. Dwight Gooden is one of the best two pitchers in baseball. In 1986 they win the World Series.

Hernandez made the players around him better. He was a really good hitter. He was a spectacular fielder, maybe the best to ever play the position, at least in the modern era (with deference to Hal Chase and Fred Tenney.) I don't know if Hernandez is a Hall of Famer. I think he's awfully close. I think he was definitely better than 10% of the BBWAA vote.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:26 AM
Paul S

Really it comes down to this, which would you rather have? I just don't think it's close.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Olerud.jpg (80.6 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg hernandez.jpg (72.2 KB, 189 views)
Old 09-23-2014, 08:21 AM

I don't know what happened but John Olerud in my opinion was clearly the better player. Better peak seasons, hit over .350 twice compared to Hernandez not ever doing it, more power, higher OBP and SLG.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:34 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

If anyone involved with the creation of and initial inductions in the Hall were still alive they would be apoplectic about a conversation including names like Dunn, Hernandez and Olerud. Just because a bunch of marginal guys were voted in in the 1960's and 70's by the veterans committee does not mean its ok to continue the policy. Reggie Jackson: He is a no brainer yes on so many levels. To be honest, post WWII, Rookie card prices (minus rare series premiums) are the best indicator for Hall Of Fame worthiness. The market is the best judge of all.

btw Will Clark was as good as Olerud and Hernandez, which is to say NOT good enough for the hall.

Last edited by Econteachert205; 09-23-2014 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:38 AM

I think the discussion is really about how there's one guy who is no doubt a HOFer or just outside of being a HOFer in the eyes of many but for each of those players there is someone else who is only slightly less productive and seen as not even being close. So now we're talking about guys on the fringe or in and players that mirror them but are for one reason or another not even in the conversation.

I think the take away is that if a guy isn't exceptional in every sense of the word he has no business in the HOF.

Last edited by packs; 09-23-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:10 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Wow this "Dunn" thread really has many transitions and debates coming out of it. The Hernandez and Olerud is an interesting one. They are both similar. A stat that I have been looking at more is RAA (Runs above average, this looks at offense and defense combined).

Olerud 17 season career RAA: 273
Hernandez 17 season career RAA: 291

Olerud 7 Season RAA (His highest RAA seasons totaled): 244
Hernandez 7 Season RAA (His highest RAA seasons totaled):230

Olerud 10 Season RAA (His highest RAA seasons totaled): 275
Hernandez 10 Season RAA (His highest RAA seasons totaled):285

Olerud best RAA season: 57 in 1998, 55 from Rbat (Runs from batting above average)
Hernandez best RAA season: 50 in 1979, 40 from Rbat (Runs from batting above average)

Looking at this Olerud was the better batter, but his dominance over Hernadez drops after their 7 year bests. Olerud's 10 year is better than his career. Meaning he had 10 great years (not consecutive) but those were peak years in a 17 year career. Hernandez total gets larger even after his 10 best years, this to me shows that he was more consistent leading to a better career total.

I am still working a 7 and 10 year stat into all of the HOFers, but just comparing the two to the other 17 year career HOFers here is where their career RAA lines them up:

NamePositionRAA# Seasons
Bill Mazeroski2nd3817
Rollie FingersP6017
Pie Traynor3rd11517
Harry HooperRF14817
Monte WardSS15217
Orlando Cepeda1st15917
Heinie ManushLF16417
Roger BresnahanC20617
Chuck KleinRF22417
Jim BunningP23417
Hugh DuffyCF24017
Ernie LombardiC24317
Frank Chance1st25717
John Olerud1st27317
Joe MedwickLF28517
Keith Hernandez1st29117
Joe KelleyLF30117
Hal NewhouserP31417
Roberto Alomar2nd32017
Bill DickeyC34017
Bob GibsonP37617
Eddie PlankP38817
Harry HeilmannRF40917
Johnny BenchC42217
Christy MathewsonP47017
Eddie Mathews3rd57817

As seen they would be in good company with Joe Medwick in between the two of them and not a single 1st baseman above them. Looking at RAA/season average we can do a quick comparison to all the 1st basemen (but I do believe a 7 and 10 year comparison would be more accurate once I get that completed but as of now have only done aprox 30 HOFers).

NamePositionRAA# SeasonsRAA/Season avg
High Pockets Kelly1st57163.56
Jim Bottomley1st98166.13
Tony Perez1st155236.74
Orlando Cepeda1st159179.35
Eddie Murray1st2422111.52
Willie McCovey1st2742212.45
Harmon Killebrew1st2802212.73
George Sisler1st2081513.87
Ernie Banks1st2841914.95
Frank Chance1st2571715.12
Jake Beckley1st3202016.00
John Olerud1st2731716.06
Keith Hernandez1st2911717.12
Rod Carew1st4241922.32
Bill Terry1st3341423.86
Cap Anson1st6672724.70
Johnny Mize1st4421529.47
Hank Greenberg1st3931330.23
Dan Brouthers1st6521934.32
Jimmie Foxx1st6952034.75
Roger Connor1st6481836.00
Stan Musial1st8092236.77

This would show them as midlevel 1st baseman HOFers even above the previously debated Killebrew.

PS I am sorry about the spacing issue between the tables and the other text, but without using a table it is hard to keep it organized to be readable.

Last edited by bn2cardz; 09-23-2014 at 09:16 AM.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:31 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I think the discussion is really about how there's one guy who is no doubt a HOFer or just outside of being a HOFer in the eyes of many but for each of those players there is someone else who is only slightly less productive and seen as not even being close. So now we're talking about guys on the fringe or in and players that mirror them but are for one reason or another not even in the conversation.

I think the take away is that if a guy isn't exceptional in every sense of the word he has no business in the HOF.
Yep. You could let in 25 or more players on the ground that they were better, as good or very nearly as good as someone already in, and then you would have to let 100 more in by the same logic. It never would end.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-23-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:15 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Yep. You could let in 25 or more players on the ground that they were better, as good or very nearly as good as someone already in, and then you would have to let 100 more in by the same logic. It never would end.
The discussion deffinatly needs to be done with what is considered the minimum. If a guy is middle of the pack of HOFers and better than player that most would discredit then you have a case. For instance you can't ever compare a new guy to Schalk, L. Waner, Mazeroski or high pockets Kelly. Even some less debatable players may not make comparable like Brock who was mainly in for being a stat leader.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:25 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Default Dunn is Done

"Adam Dunn, 34, calls it a career":

http://espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs/2014...league-seasons
Old 10-01-2014, 02:47 PM
Bob McLean

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies View Post
Said he will most likely retire after this season, he would have been almost a lock for 500 HR's, now, since he won't reach that, is he a HOF'er?

http://mweb.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on...eason?v=1&vc=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He has no chance. Think Dave Kingman.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
The Mets in 1983 were 68-94, and they hadn't won at least 70 games since 1976. The next year with Hernandez, the Mets go 90-72. In 1985 they add Gary Carter. Dwight Gooden is one of the best two pitchers in baseball. In 1986 they win the World Series.
Keith Hernandez played 95 games with that 83 Mets team. Dwight Gooden arrived in 1984. In my opinion, he was just as important to the Mets turnaround. He won ROY and finished 2nd in CY Young voting. Hernandez and Gooden had similar WAR. Hernandez higher on Baseball Reference, Gooden higher on Fan Graphics.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:46 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
Wow this "Dunn" thread really has many transitions and debates coming out of it. The Hernandez and Olerud is an interesting one. They are both similar. A stat that I have been looking at more is RAA (Runs above average, this looks at offense and defense combined).

Olerud 17 season career RAA: 273
Hernandez 17 season career RAA: 291

Olerud 7 Season RAA (His highest RAA seasons totaled): 244
Hernandez 7 Season RAA (His highest RAA seasons totaled):230

Olerud 10 Season RAA (His highest RAA seasons totaled): 275
Hernandez 10 Season RAA (His highest RAA seasons totaled):285

Olerud best RAA season: 57 in 1998, 55 from Rbat (Runs from batting above average)
Hernandez best RAA season: 50 in 1979, 40 from Rbat (Runs from batting above average)

Looking at this Olerud was the better batter, but his dominance over Hernadez drops after their 7 year bests. Olerud's 10 year is better than his career. Meaning he had 10 great years (not consecutive) but those were peak years in a 17 year career. Hernandez total gets larger even after his 10 best years, this to me shows that he was more consistent leading to a better career total.

I am still working a 7 and 10 year stat into all of the HOFers, but just comparing the two to the other 17 year career HOFers here is where their career RAA lines them up:

NamePositionRAA# Seasons
Bill Mazeroski2nd3817
Rollie FingersP6017
Pie Traynor3rd11517
Harry HooperRF14817
Monte WardSS15217
Orlando Cepeda1st15917
Heinie ManushLF16417
Roger BresnahanC20617
Chuck KleinRF22417
Jim BunningP23417
Hugh DuffyCF24017
Ernie LombardiC24317
Frank Chance1st25717
John Olerud1st27317
Joe MedwickLF28517
Keith Hernandez1st29117
Joe KelleyLF30117
Hal NewhouserP31417
Roberto Alomar2nd32017
Bill DickeyC34017
Bob GibsonP37617
Eddie PlankP38817
Harry HeilmannRF40917
Johnny BenchC42217
Christy MathewsonP47017
Eddie Mathews3rd57817

As seen they would be in good company with Joe Medwick in between the two of them and not a single 1st baseman above them. Looking at RAA/season average we can do a quick comparison to all the 1st basemen (but I do believe a 7 and 10 year comparison would be more accurate once I get that completed but as of now have only done aprox 30 HOFers).

NamePositionRAA# SeasonsRAA/Season avg
High Pockets Kelly1st57163.56
Jim Bottomley1st98166.13
Tony Perez1st155236.74
Orlando Cepeda1st159179.35
Eddie Murray1st2422111.52
Willie McCovey1st2742212.45
Harmon Killebrew1st2802212.73
George Sisler1st2081513.87
Ernie Banks1st2841914.95
Frank Chance1st2571715.12
Jake Beckley1st3202016.00
John Olerud1st2731716.06
Keith Hernandez1st2911717.12
Rod Carew1st4241922.32
Bill Terry1st3341423.86
Cap Anson1st6672724.70
Johnny Mize1st4421529.47
Hank Greenberg1st3931330.23
Dan Brouthers1st6521934.32
Jimmie Foxx1st6952034.75
Roger Connor1st6481836.00
Stan Musial1st8092236.77

This would show them as midlevel 1st baseman HOFers even above the previously debated Killebrew.

PS I am sorry about the spacing issue between the tables and the other text, but without using a table it is hard to keep it organized to be readable.

Continuing the Adam Dunn discussion, that's great research Andy - do you think maybe you left just one HOF 1B out of your list?

I'm glad to see my two GA boys, Bill Terry and Johnny Mize fair so well against the competition.

Adam Dunn was a fun guy to watch and a humerous interview, but he has no place in the HOF - and, in his on self-effacing manor, he has frequently said so. I'll miss his modesty and his Kingman-esk or Balbonic style.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 10-01-2014 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:21 PM
Bill Gregory

Yes, I knew that. The 1983 season was a complete loss for the Mets. They also had a managerial change mid season. With George Bamberger, the Mets were 16-30. Frank Howard took them the rest of the way, going 52-64.

A lot of good things happened to the Mets in a very small period of time. The addition of Hernandez was so incredibly important for a few different reasons. He had a huge impact defensively. With him at first base, other teams stopped bunting because he was so good at rushing in, and beating the lead runner to second base. His range was incredible, and his arm was strong and accurate. Davey Johnson has said that the Mets actually changed how the Mets did their relay throws because Hernandez was so good. He brought a strong bat to the top of the lineup. But most importantly, he brought confidence to a team that had none. He made other players around him better. He was instrumental in helping the young players on the team believe they could win.

Davey Johnson started his managerial run with the Mets in 1984, too. He came to the club at the right time, as the team received a tremendous infusion of young talent that he would be able to mold. Darryl Strawberry was the NL Rookie of the Year in 1983. Then Dwight Gooden came up. The Mets had their own Bob Feller. Doc quickly became the most dominant pitcher in the National League. Not to be overlooked, the Mets added two other outstanding starting pitchers-Sid Fernandez, who the Mets acquired from the Dodgers, and Ron Darling, who the Mets had signed and developed. Darling threw in 5 games in 1983. In 1984, he would win 12 games, and Fernandez 6. In 1985, Fernandez would win 9 and Darling 16. In 1986, the year they won the World Series, Gooden would win 17, Fernandez 16 and Darling 15. Bob Ojeda, who the Mets acquired from the Red Sox would win 18. Rick Aguilera would win 10, and their dynamic left-right bullpen duo of Jesse Orosco and Roger McDowell would combine to win 22 games, and save 43.

That '86 team won 108 games. To this day, I am still amazed that Mets group only won one World Series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Keith Hernandez played 95 games with that 83 Mets team. Dwight Gooden arrived in 1984. In my opinion, he was just as important to the Mets turnaround. He won ROY and finished 2nd in CY Young voting. Hernandez and Gooden had similar WAR. Hernandez higher on Baseball Reference, Gooden higher on Fan Graphics.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:29 PM
Bill Gregory

I've been doing my own RAA study, sticking to ten years only. RAA is, of course, runs above average. That means how many additional runs was a player worth to their team each year over an average Major League player. Somebody like Roberto Clemente was worth an additional 44 runs over an average Major League right fielder.

23.2 dale murphy
18.8 mark belanger
28.2 bobby bonds
21.2 don mattingly
22.8 thurman munson
27.0 dwight evans
36.2 robin yount
45.7 george brett
44.1 roberto clemente
28.5 keith hernandez
18.7 aramis ramirez
28.7 nolan ryan
23.7 ted simmons
26.4 sandy koufax
24.1 clayton kershaw
32.0 derek jeter
37.2 alan trammell
29.5 lou whitaker
30.9 dick allen
49.0 ken griffey jr.
26.1 fred lynn
4.5 adam dunn

By the way, it needs to be pointed out that at least one of these players, Clayton Kershaw, has not yet played 10 years. Kershaw has played seven. But I still took his total and averaged out by ten years. This should show just how dominant a player he is. His seven years of production is worth more than the best ten years of some other players. We also see how high somebody like Alan Trammell is. No doubt in my mind that he and Lou Whitaker both should receive more Hall of Fame consideration.

Last edited by the 'stache; 10-01-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:46 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Well, Golly Bill - at least you included Dunn in your study. - and he sooo close.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 10-01-2014, 05:00 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Numbers like this are great, and are fun to analyze. But the exercise doesn't really portray what these players did in clutch situations.... when the game was on the line, and it really mattered most.

Rod carew, for example, probably exhibits pretty favorable numbers (admittedly, I'm just guessing). But I can't ever recall that guy getting a clutch hit, when it truly mattered. Yes- tons of meaningless singles in blowouts and lopsided games. But watching the Angels play day in and day out, I just can't recall one situation where he really came through in a nail-biter. Plus, I don't believe he ever played for a pennant-winner (another key factor not captured by the metrics).

Didn't necessarily mean to pick on Carew... he was a great hitter. To me it's more about the player's contribution to the team when it truly mattered. And subsequently, the feelings that player elicited from us as fans. I know none of this makes Dunn a Hall-of-Famer... it probably knocks him down a peg or two lower, if anything

Just saying there's more to it than the numbers can convey.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:31 PM
Richard Simon

You had to be a Mets fan in the 80's and watch 100+ games a year to appreciate Keith Hernandez. Nobody ever, before or since, could play first base the way he did. About 5 years ago I actually saw him on the subway and told him he was the best first baseman I ever saw. He smiled and profusely thanked me.
I think he should be in the Hall of Fame.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 10-01-2014, 05:51 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post

That '86 team won 108 games. To this day, I am still amazed that Mets group only won one World Series.
Even more amazing is that they needed a miracle in game 6 of the NLCS to even get to the World Series (does anybody REALLY think they were beating Mike Scott in game 7? I think not.) and a whole lot of luck in games 6 & 7 of the World Series to win the one title they did get.

But, yeah, really that group should have won at least one more. Same way I feel about the Tigers teams of the 80s.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:55 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Numbers like this are great, and are fun to analyze. But the exercise doesn't really portray what these players did in clutch situations.... when the game was on the line, and it really mattered most.

Rod carew, for example, probably exhibits pretty favorable numbers (admittedly, I'm just guessing). But I can't ever recall that guy getting a clutch hit, when it truly mattered. Yes- tons of meaningless singles in blowouts and lopsided games. But watching the Angels play day in and day out, I just can't recall one situation where he really came through in a nail-biter. Plus, I don't believe he ever played for a pennant-winner (another key factor not captured by the metrics).

Didn't necessarily mean to pick on Carew... he was a great hitter. To me it's more about the player's contribution to the team when it truly mattered. And subsequently, the feelings that player elicited from us as fans. I know none of this makes Dunn a Hall-of-Famer... it probably knocks him down a peg or two lower, if anything

Carew played on a couple division winners - the Twins in '69 and the Angels in '79. His career numbers for "late & close" situations are .310/.386/.399 - down overall from his regular career numbers. All of his other clutch numbers are pretty much the same as his overall career.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:56 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
You had to be a Mets fan in the 80's and watch 100+ games a year to appreciate Keith Hernandez. Nobody ever, before or since, could play first base the way he did. About 5 years ago I actually saw him on the subway and told him he was the best first baseman I ever saw. He smiled and profusely thanked me.
He is undoubtedly the best defensive 1B I've ever seen. Absolutely amazing player.

Question: If you could draft any 1B from the last 50 years, is he your #1 pick?
Old 10-01-2014, 06:40 PM
Bill Gregory

Perezfan,

Actually, yes, statistics can and do accurately portray what players did in clutch situations.

You gave the example of Rod Carew never getting a clutch hit when it mattered, just tons of meaningless singles in blowouts and lopsided games.

Here is a link to Rod Carew's career splits, courtesy of Baseball Reference .com.

Actually, Rod Carew was a fantastic hitter in the very situations you said he was so poor in. Statistical analysis disproves your statements about Carew. Maybe you can reexamine your stance on statistical analysis in general.

First, examine Carew's career numbers when he came to bat with runners in scoring position:

Carew was a career .339 hitter with runners in scoring position. Quite simply, when men were on base, Rod Carew was the man you wanted at the plate, either to move the runners up further, or to drive them in.

What about clutch stats, breaking down the various situations?

Again, Rod Carew was outstanding. When he came to the plate with two outs, and runners in scoring position, he was a .310 hitter. When he came to the plate in a tie game, he was a .323 hitter. He was a .344 hitter when his team was ahead, and a .318 hitter when his team was behind. Carew has a phenomenal hitter in pretty much any situation you could think of.

Finally, in terms of leverage, Carew was again, outstanding. What is leverage? It is a quantification of the plays within a game that have the greatest impact on win probability. Doing well in high leverage situations means you are helping your team to win.

How did Carew do in the most critical points in games for his entire career? spectacularly. He was a career .318 hitter in high leverage situations. In plain English, this means that when Carew came to the plate during the most critical moments in a game, he came threw.

Any way you look at it, Rod Carew was actually a highly successful clutch hitter. He was not by any stretch of the imagination just a singles hitter who padded his stats in meaningless games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post

Last edited by the 'stache; 10-01-2014 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:54 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Finally, somebody who understands why I am so pro Keith Hernandez being in the Hall of Fame. He transformed the position. He was absolutely spectacular with a glove on.

We can draw comparisons between John Olerud and Keith Hernandez until we're blue in the face. But Olerud played at a time when offenses in general were much more productive than when Hernandez played. Don't believe me?

Major League Baseball offensive averages year by year

Keith Hernandez played from 1974 to 1990. John Olerud played from 1989 to 2005.

During Hernandez' career, the average runs per game ran between 4-4.50. During Olerud's career, that jumped up to about 4.50 to 5.0 +. It was a hitter's era.

Quote:
Even more amazing is that they needed a miracle in game 6 of the NLCS to even get to the World Series (does anybody REALLY think they were beating Mike Scott in game 7? I think not.) and a whole lot of luck in games 6 & 7 of the World Series to win the one title they did get.

But, yeah, really that group should have won at least one more. Same way I feel about the Tigers teams of the 80s.
Agreed.

Quote:
He is undoubtedly the best defensive 1B I've ever seen. Absolutely amazing player.

Question: If you could draft any 1B from the last 50 years, is he your #1 pick?
I don't know if he would be #1. When everything is considered, he's awfully close. He didn't bring the power. But he could do everything else.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/bat.shtml

Look at some of the things he did with the glove especially.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:16 PM
Peter Spaeth

"I don't know if he would be #1. When everything is considered, he's awfully close. He didn't bring the power. But he could do everything else. "

Awfully close to Albert Pujols? Come on.

I would also take Mattingly, Frank Thomas if you count him although he did DH as much or more as play first, and Bagwell, off the top of me head.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-01-2014 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:55 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Bill...

On the Carew thing, I really appreciate the time and incredible effort you put into that analysis. Very impressive, and I'm sure he did better in clutch situations than I was giving him credit for. I really didn't witness much of his earlier career with Minnesota.

My friends/family/co-workers' observations all occurred during his time in Anaheim- and the futuility waiting for him to deliver a clutch game-winning hit was off the charts. It eventually escalated to the point that we could only laugh about it. Of course the next day, the score would be 9 - 1 (whether winning or losing), and Carew would be 4 for 4. We all lamented... where were those hits when we needed them?

I guess you just had to live through it to fully understand. Might have been an isolated period, and thus not showing up in his career stats. Anyway, your analytical skills are incredible and I will defer to your expertise

Last edited by perezfan; 10-01-2014 at 11:56 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:18 AM
qu@n nguy3n

edit: letting the guy retire in peace...

Last edited by chaddurbin; 10-02-2014 at 01:20 AM.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:43 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Just received the SI this week and the last page is a article title "Dunn and Done" about Dunn's retirement with a quick comparison to Jeter.

From the article:
Quote:
Dunn, essentially, could do only three things: hit home runs, walk and strike out. Just under half of his 8,328 plate appearances ended with one of theat trio, a higher ratio than any other player in history with 4,000 plate appearances.
It is says just under half but the numbers are 4158 (462 HR, 1,317 Walks, 2,379 SO) to his 8,328 PA so that is 49.93%.

The article ended with:
Quote:
Two weeks ago SI devoted 12 pages to Jeter as he reached the final measures of his swan song. Dunn gets these 723 words. He'd tell you that they were 723 words too many.
I would agree, but this was an interesting case study and led to a great conversation about a single stat HOFers and what constitutes a HOFer.

Last edited by bn2cardz; 10-09-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:52 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
It is says just under half but the numbers are 4158 (462 HR, 1,317 Walks, 2,379 SO) to his 8,328 PA so that is 49.93%.
What were they thinking?
Old 10-09-2014, 12:13 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
What were they thinking?
Who? The ones that paid him $113 million?

Or is this in reference to me putting the specific numbers? My point was that they said just under half. To me that could have been anywhere between 40%-50%. Yet it really was right about 50% and if they rounded to say 50% no one would have faulted them. I guess I just like specifics ,

What is even more interesting about that is that the SO is more than the other two stats combined (specifically 133.73% of the other combined totals, or 28.57% of his PA).