NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-20-2015, 06:26 PM
rgpete

Default Memorial Day Tributes

This is for my Grandfather and others who served OUR COUNTRY. To start things off here is a photo of my Grandfather WWI with his company. Theydid their tour in Siberia to protect the Siberian Railroad
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WWI 001.jpg (78.7 KB, 187 views)
Old 05-20-2015, 08:17 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Jackie Robinson was a 2nd Lieutenant in the Army.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:53 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

Remember Memorial Day is for the men & women who gave their lives to defend this country. Not many gave more than Harvard Eddie Grant of the New York Giants who died leading his men into the Argonne to rescue the Lost Battalion. I wrote a tribute to Eddie on my website a few years back (originally for Veteran's Day) and each Memorial Day re-post it to honor all those who died so I could grow up in a free country.

You can read Eddie Grant's story and see my illustration of him HERE

On another Memorial Day I wrote and illustrated another ballplayer who gave his life, minor league pitcher Bill Niemeyer.

On Memorial Day weekend I always make sure I take a moment to quietly say thank you to Eddie Grant, Bill Niemeyer and all the others who never came back home.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:57 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygary View Post
Remember Memorial Day is for the men & women who gave their lives to defend this country. Not many gave more than Harvard Eddie Grant of the New York Giants who died leading his men into the Argonne to rescue the Lost Battalion. I wrote a tribute to Eddie on my website a few years back (originally for Veteran's Day) and each Memorial Day re-post it to honor all those who died so I could grow up in a free country.

You can read Eddie Grant's story and see my illustration of him HERE

On another Memorial Day I wrote and illustrated another ballplayer who gave his life, minor league pitcher Bill Niemeyer.

On Memorial Day weekend I always make sure I take a moment to quietly say thank you to Eddie Grant, Bill Niemeyer and all the others who never came back home.

Thank you for sharing that, Gary.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:03 PM
pariah1107

A 1965 Central Washington Football Program with three year starting Guard and USAF veteran San Francisco. San D. Francisco (1944-1968?) was a Major in the USAF during the Vietnam War. His plane, a F-4D Phantom, was shot down in Quang Binh province, November 25, 1968. He and the co-pilot, Major Joseph Morrison, parachuted to the ground. Morrison was killed resisting capture, and Francisco broke his legs in a hard landing. It is thought he was killed by carpet-bombing in an effort to rescue him. His body was photographed for North Vietnamese propaganda purposes three days later, then buried in an unmarked grave. His remains have never been recovered, and he is still considered MIA, but presumed dead. An expedition is set to search the area later this year for his remains...

Last edited by pariah1107; 05-21-2015 at 02:24 PM. Reason: More appropriate....
Old 05-20-2015, 09:30 PM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygary View Post
Remember Memorial Day is for the men & women who gave their lives to defend this country.
Correct.

Memorial Day - honor those who died while serving

Veterans Day - for veterans (living and who died after serving)
Old 05-20-2015, 09:49 PM
Jon Canfield

I've posted this before, but my grandfather participated in the Normandy invasion. Below is his battle map from Utah Beach that he gave to me before his passing. From what I understand, it is one of only a handful original Normandy invasion maps in existence, since most were destroyed after the initial assault to prevent the day's plans from being discovered.

Also, below are three short, but interesting, pages out of his journal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender1 copy.jpg (73.3 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender2.jpg (74.6 KB, 145 views)

Last edited by canjond; 05-20-2015 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:33 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachS View Post
Correct.

Memorial Day - honor those who died while serving

Veterans Day - for veterans (living and who died after serving)
Woops I was thinking VE Day above but Jackie can stay as he is one of the most game changing players ever (and was a vet).

On the other hand it is thought that Matty died from mustard gas complications from the war...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg peunc1910allstarcandybox.jpg (74.1 KB, 121 views)
Old 05-21-2015, 09:00 AM
Tom Boblitt

ABSOLUTELY amazing stuff Jon. Thanks immensely for that share. I'm sure those are more valuable to you than all your tobacco memorabilia. I know they would be to me.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:15 AM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Jack Lummus lost his life at Iwo Jima. Nile Kinnick's plane went down over the channel. Bob Kalsu was lost in Vietnam. Thinking about Pat Tillman really gets to me. These men, during the prime of their lives and careers, made the ultimate sacrifice. I know that Memorial Day is about those that did not make it back home, but I have included a little something from my grandfather. I read his letters to my grandmother. I know part of him died there. He went in as a private and was promoted to Major. I believe they were all battlefield commissions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (61.3 KB, 101 views)
Old 05-21-2015, 01:46 PM
Anthony Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachs View Post
correct.

Memorial day - honor those who died while serving

veterans day - for veterans (living and who died after serving)
+100
Old 05-21-2015, 09:42 PM
Scot

My Great Uncle, Platoon Sgt Dornie Reynolds, of the 2nd Marine Division, 2nd Amphibious Tractor Battalion was Killed in Action during the invasion of Betio Island in the Tarawa Atoll. The LVT he was driving hit a landmine, remains never recovered. Rest in peace!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sgt-Dornie-Reynolds.jpg (83.8 KB, 39 views)

Successful Transactions: t206hound, LukeLyon, Sebie43, Bocabirdman, tuckr1, Jimivintage, shorttmail66, jcc6252

Last edited by Roofman4; 05-21-2015 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:58 PM
Anthony Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofman4 View Post
My Great Uncle, Platoon Sgt Dornie Reynolds, of the 2nd Marine Division, 2nd Amphibious Tractor Battalion was Killed in Action during the invasion of Betio Island in the Tarawa Atoll. The LVT he was driving hit a landmine, remains never recovered. Rest in peace!
I was assigned to the 2nd Marine Division and I will say that this Division has a very prestigious history! Semper Fi!