NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-07-2008, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Default Do These Joe Jackson Cards Exist?

Posted By: James Gallo

Can anyone confirm examples of the following cards. I have checked the PSA and SGC population reports and there are none listed. I understand that some of these could have been lumped in the the M101-4/5 series.

Joe Jackson 1915 Gimbels (M101-5)
Joe Jackson 1916 Altoona Tribune
Joe Jackson 1916 Block and Kuhl Co.
Joe Jackson 1916 Burgess-Nash Clothiers
Joe Jackson 1916 Everybody's
Joe Jackson 1916 Gimbels
Joe Jackson 1916 Green-Joyce Clothiers
Joe Jackson 1916 Morehouse Baking Co.
Joe Jackson 1916 Standard Biscuit (E135)
Joe Jackson 1916 Successful Farming
Joe Jackson 1916 Ware's
Joe Jackson 1916 Weil Baking Co. (D328)
Joe Jackson 1919 Mother's Bread (W514)
Joe Jackson 1921 Holsum Bread

Just wondering as I see no point have cards on my list if they don't exist.

Thanks in advance for any help.

James G

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bobby Binder

There are confirmed sales for the Wares and the E135 so those 2 do exist on your list.

Old 11-08-2008, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

There is at least one D327 Holsum Jackson, it was on eBay a few years back and someone got a steal on it.

PS I would call it a 1920 issue too.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:39 AM
Tony N.

Default Joe Jackson

Does anyone know if the Joe Jackson image, that is used on the Boston Store, Collins MCarthy, and Holsum Bread issues, exists with some of the backs listed above by James Gallo? I thought I remember hearing about a Weils, but I could be wrong.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Tony
Old 01-13-2013, 10:57 AM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

there is a collector ( or was) in my area back in the late 90's who had a Jackson with the Altoona Tribune back
Old 01-13-2013, 12:52 PM
Todd Schultz

Although I cannot confirm sales, that particular Shoeless Joe image should be found on all five E135-like cards, issued in 1917: Collins-McCarthy, Boston Store, Standard Biscuit, Weil Baking and blank-back. The Holsum uses the same image, and a D350-3 Standard Biscuit may as well if it exists.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 01-13-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:14 PM

Default There is a M101-6 of Joe Jackson...

I have seen it...
Old 01-13-2013, 06:19 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMANOS View Post
I have seen it...
scan/photo? (he asks, well aware of who he is asking...)
Old 10-03-2013, 11:09 AM

Default Older post but here it is.....

I've seen other players from the set but I hadn't seen this one:
http://www.goldinauctions.com/1917-2...0-LOT6761.aspx
Old 10-04-2013, 09:04 AM
Isaac Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Bollman View Post
I've seen other players from the set but I hadn't seen this one:
http://www.goldinauctions.com/1917-2...0-LOT6761.aspx
Amazing card
Old 10-04-2013, 09:02 PM
Tony N.

Default Felix Mendelsohn Joe Jackson

Just wondering what other board members think, but looking at the bat in the photo on the Felix Mendelsohn Joe Jackson card, which Goldin states is THE Black Betsy, and I agree it is, looks very different than the "Black Betsy Bat" the was auctioned off for over $500K.

Look at the thickness in the handle, and the bat on the Mendelsohn card looks like a two toned color. The other bat is one color throughout.

Any thoughts?

Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bat.jpg (10.9 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg fmjax.jpg (81.0 KB, 264 views)
Old 10-04-2013, 09:28 PM
Jason

I dont think there was just one Black Betsy. Unless it was made of titanium. I dont think there were 100 but I think there were quite a few.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:31 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgrammer View Post
I dont think there was just one Black Betsy. Unless it was made of titanium. I dont think there were 100 but I think there were quite a few.
I don't know about quite a few but no doubt there were some Black Betsy's.....And about this M101-6 Jackson, what an awesome card. If I didn't have any fiscal responsibilities I would be all over it. But I do, so I will just watch....

And as to the question in the first post, from 5 yrs ago, here is one on the list and I know there is at least one more Successful Farming Promo card. My question would then be, are there ANY Successful Farming non-Promo Joe Jacksons known? (the promo cards had no number on the front, at bottom)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pm101jackson.jpg (76.7 KB, 195 views)
Old 10-07-2013, 09:59 AM
Belltown Vintage

That card is one-of-a-kind, but so is the description. It has eclipsed all past auction descriptions, especially in its handling of wear to a card:

"While this image is fantastic, this card does contain multiple creases, most which are restricted to the corners and do not intersect Jackson’s image. The first is a 1-1/2 inch crease across the upper left corner, not touching the Betsy, but close enough to appear as a bolt of lightning flowing into the bat, similar to the lightning flashes caused by Roy Hobbs’ the “Savoy Special” in the Natural."
Old 10-07-2013, 10:03 PM
James Gallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I don't know about quite a few but no doubt there were some Black Betsy's.....And about this M101-6 Jackson, what an awesome card. If I didn't have any fiscal responsibilities I would be all over it. But I do, so I will just watch....

And as to the question in the first post, from 5 yrs ago, here is one on the list and I know there is at least one more Successful Farming Promo card. My question would then be, are there ANY Successful Farming non-Promo Joe Jacksons known? (the promo cards had no number on the front, at bottom)
Wow so cool to see one of my posts from ages ago bumped up :-)

Leon, is that Successful Framing yours? It is quite nice and with a cool back, certainly one of the more exciting backs with that front.

James G
Old 10-08-2013, 09:48 AM
Tony N.

Default Jackson

Leon,

That Jackson of yours has really nice centering on the front and back of it. You don't see that too often with that type of issue.

In regards to my post about the "Black Betsy" bat, if I was going to put up $500K for a bat, I would want "THE Black Betsy," not Black Betsy the VIII.

Tony
Old 10-08-2013, 10:11 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGallo View Post
Wow so cool to see one of my posts from ages ago bumped up :-)

Leon, is that Successful Framing yours? It is quite nice and with a cool back, certainly one of the more exciting backs with that front.

James G
Hi James
Yes, it is one I picked up only a few months ago. There was a full set of 6 Successful Farming Promo cards in an REA auction not too long ago. This was a second set that was auctioned individually.

Tony- Yes, the centering is quite unbelievable for the series as well as the borders are huge. The only downside is the tiny surface scratch at his belt, which isn't too noticeable. I usually don't like that kind of tiny paper loss but the other attributes more than made up for it. I always wanted an M101-4/5 Jackson and figured this was the one for me. It also sort of filled the hole of a Successful Farming Promo card, so it was like filling 2 holes at once .