NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-07-2011, 10:59 PM
Patrick N.

Default 707 Sportscards and Scans

As great of an inventory Levi has he still can't make a decent scan of his stuff and his website is still in the very early ages of the Intranet revolution...For example his Aaron RC and all his scans suffer from a bad exposure/light issue...

http://cgi.ebay.com/1954-Topps-128-R...item483e48a40b

You would think with his sales he could buy a $50 scanner at Best Buy and hire a 9th grader to do his scans...
Old 02-07-2011, 11:57 PM
Doug Goodman

Default At least he has scans

I can think of at least one large card dealer who uses "stock" photos of cards on his Beckett website store.

Doug
Old 02-08-2011, 07:25 AM
T!M R10rd@n

And yet he seems to be rather successful when so many others have fallen by the wayside.

You can't argue with success.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:30 AM
Dave

They could be better, but I've seen much worse on a regular basis on Ebay.

Looks like it's possibly being scanned in a document setting instead of a photo setting, maybe to save on time.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:39 AM
Chris Counts

I agree 707s scans are not worthy of his extraordinary inventory. What drives me crazy is that so many eBay sellers scan their cards against a white background, making it difficult to examine the edges and corners. The edges and corners always look better against a black background. Check out Mike Wheat's website. Wayne Varner also does a nice job ...

The worst sellers, though, are the ones the crop off an edge or two of a card when they scan it. It's amazing how many do this ...
Old 02-08-2011, 11:02 AM
Patrick N.

Default Buy low sell high

Yes, you can't argue with sucess not trying to do so just sayin'...I wonder what would happen if Levi one day wanted to get out of the business and changed all his BINS to penny auctions and just let 'er rip...
Old 02-08-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
Yes, you can't argue with sucess not trying to do so just sayin'...I wonder what would happen if Levi one day wanted to get out of the business and changed all his BINS to penny auctions and just let 'er rip...
I'd pay 50 bucks to see that happen. I'd finally be able to snag a few cards in his inventory that I've been eyeballing forever.

My favorite scan mishap is when a seller posts the entire scan bed as a thumbnail with the actual card being 20 x 20 pixels. Nice job there.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:19 AM
Jeff

Quote:
Well for one thing his listings would show up on my ebay searches.
Hey, you can't argue with success. Works for him so no incentive to change. He has made a go of it when many have dropped off. Very impressive inventory.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 02-08-2011, 02:05 PM
Anthøny N. ex

And equally impressive service.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:33 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
I agree 707s scans are not worthy of his extraordinary inventory. What drives me crazy is that so many eBay sellers scan their cards against a white background, making it difficult to examine the edges and corners. The edges and corners always look better against a black background. Check out Mike Wheat's website. Wayne Varner also does a nice job ...

The worst sellers, though, are the ones the crop off an edge or two of a card when they scan it. It's amazing how many do this ...
Most printer/scanners I've seen have a white backdrop so most folks don't know any better...now that I think of it, might tape a piece of black construction paper to the backdrop and see if that noticeably improves the image contrast...
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:47 PM
Patrick N.

Default Exclude

Well for one thing his listings would show up on my ebay searches. -How can I exclude his listings? I went to advanced search and I see that you can "exclude" a seller but I think it only does this for one search--how do I permanently exclude 707?
Old 02-08-2011, 02:48 PM
Rich v@n He$$

Quote:
An unintended consequence would be my wife filing for divorce.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:00 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Well for one thing his listings would show up on my ebay searches. -How can I exclude his listings? I went to advanced search and I see that you can "exclude" a seller but I think it only does this for one search--how do I permanently exclude 707?

I was referring to the fact that most of my saved searches are "Auctions Only."

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 02-08-2011, 03:19 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default 707 Sportcards

Yes,
Levi has a great inventory, I just wish he was a bit more flexible on prices of his vintage off cond stuff. He is prefectly willing to sit on a 52T high # in G, for years and years...???
Old 02-08-2011, 04:42 PM
Robert Williams

Hey - I am sure he has a following because his feedback is pretty high! Alot of people like the fact he has what they need in stock, and don't mind paying the huge price premium he charges......
Old 02-08-2011, 05:30 PM
Rob Miller

I sent him an offer for an M116 Waddell that was substantially lower then the BIN price and he accepted. Maybe he was in a good mood that day

Edited to add: The BIN price wasn't too out of hand

Last edited by Robextend; 02-08-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:39 AM
Steve Birmingham

On some scanners you can just leave the lid open. My scanner creates a nice black background that way.
(Epson perfection 2400 photo. Old, so probably unavailable. )

If I leave the lamp on that's rear it it gets a nice red/black fade and sometimes an image of the lamp which is a couple feet to the side of the scanner. Someday I'm going to try pointing it out the window to see what sort of picture I get.

Steve B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Six View Post
Most printer/scanners I've seen have a white backdrop so most folks don't know any better...now that I think of it, might tape a piece of black construction paper to the backdrop and see if that noticeably improves the image contrast...
Old 02-10-2011, 08:34 PM
Bill Cauley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Six View Post
When I do sell, this is pretty much what I do. I lay the card(s) on the bed and then lay the piece of black construction paper over them. I do front/back scans of each card. I have to spend some additional time to crop over and over but I don't sell a whole lot and I want any potential bidder to have the best photo possible instead of running into a possible problem down the road.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:32 PM
Mike

Some of these guys would have Millions of $$$$ if they just sold their great inventory. They will die with it and their wives will sell it for pennies on the dollar. Seems better to enjoy the money now. The most successful business people turn over inventory as fast as possible for cash flow so they have the money when the next great offer rolls around. Never made much sense (cents) to me to have a large inventory.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:52 PM
Marc S.

Default That's pretty idiotic

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
Some of these guys would have Millions of $$$$ if they just sold their great inventory. They will die with it and their wives will sell it for pennies on the dollar. Seems better to enjoy the money now. The most successful business people turn over inventory as fast as possible for cash flow so they have the money when the next great offer rolls around. Never made much sense (cents) to me to have a large inventory.

A) Levi's wife will not sell his collection for pennies on the dollar. At worst, it would go to an auction house for 0% consignment fee.

B) Levi is not hurting for cash flow. You seem to think that there is always trade-offs between inventory and cash flow. You can have both -- as Levi does.

C) A smaller inventory may maximize working capital and cash flow -- but a large inventory makes you a popular seller. Many hear demoan Levi's business model. The reality is that it has been very successful for Mr. Bleam, and that he turns over a lot of inventory on a regular basis (just check closed sales on Ebay). All those sales are a small dent in a formidable inventory.

Not sure why all the vitriol against Mr. Bleam, insidethewrapper. It is not a traditional dealer sales model, but it nonetheless works quite well for Levi & Co.

M
Old 02-10-2011, 11:30 PM
Dan Studebaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
The most successful business people turn over inventory as fast as possible for cash flow so they have the money when the next great offer rolls around. Never made much sense (cents) to me to have a large inventory.
I am sure Levi does not have a capital or cash flow problem, and remember inventory cannot be replaced by a call to a warehouse so it does not fit easily into a traditional business model.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:41 AM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesphan View Post
A) Levi's wife will not sell his collection for pennies on the dollar. At worst, it would go to an auction house for 0% consignment fee.

B) Levi is not hurting for cash flow. You seem to think that there is always trade-offs between inventory and cash flow. You can have both -- as Levi does.

C) A smaller inventory may maximize working capital and cash flow -- but a large inventory makes you a popular seller. Many hear demoan Levi's business model. The reality is that it has been very successful for Mr. Bleam, and that he turns over a lot of inventory on a regular basis (just check closed sales on Ebay). All those sales are a small dent in a formidable inventory.

Not sure why all the vitriol against Mr. Bleam, insidethewrapper. It is not a traditional dealer sales model, but it nonetheless works quite well for Levi & Co.

M
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstudeba View Post
I am sure Levi does not have a capital or cash flow problem, and remember inventory cannot be replaced by a call to a warehouse so it does not fit easily into a traditional business model.
+1
Old 02-11-2011, 06:55 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesphan View Post
Many hear demoan Levi's business model.

Marc,

As you well know, many here complain about Levi's business model simply because he has cards they want at prices higher than they want to pay. The easy solution would be for them (me included, sometimes) to go buy those cards elsewhere. If only his inventory wasn't so damn deep!
Old 02-11-2011, 08:21 AM
Tom Boblitt

As someone else said, apparently he'll take less than his BIN's. I've never bought anything from him because he's primarily 1950's/1960's Topps. I know people who know him well and he is CLEARLY not hurting for cash flow.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:15 PM

I've bought two cards from Levi (I think) -- '52 Topps Minoso and Pitler. Both transactions went smoothly although I may have paid more than 'market value,' at least as reflected by eBay auctions.

I don't see how anyone can criticize a seller for the price he asks for his product. After all, they're Levi's cards. Good friend Dan McKee is asking very serious money for his unique Guy Zinn, and all I know is that I keep buying lottery tickets.

Mark
Old 02-11-2011, 07:13 PM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autograf View Post
As someone else said, apparently he'll take less than his BIN's. I've never bought anything from him because he's primarily 1950's/1960's Topps. I know people who know him well and he is CLEARLY not hurting for cash flow.
I'm not even sure why they have the best offer option on the BINs. Obviously they are his cards and he can ask whatever he wants, but any time I've made a best offer I get a counter offer that's under 2% less than the BIN price when the card is usually priced about 30% higher than what it would actually sell for.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:56 AM
JB

Default .........

+1

Successful transactions with: HRBAKER, CHADDURBIN,DRDDUET,DOUBLEP,T213, RM444, MJSILVEY80, CHARLIETHEEXTERMINATOR,QUINNSRYCHE,PROFHOLT82,EJST EL,OHIOCARDCOLLECTOR
Old 02-12-2011, 11:29 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
I'm not even sure why they have the best offer option on the BINs. Obviously they are his cards and he can ask whatever he wants, but any time I've made a best offer I get a counter offer that's under 2% less than the BIN price when the card is usually priced about 30% higher than what it would actually sell for.
+2