NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 01:17 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.1969 View Post
Have been thinking about the idea that "experiences are the new stuff" and how we're the last people it applies to. We collectors are all about amassing stuff and tend to view experiences along the lines of..."hmm, I could go to Vegas with my friends, but I could get a 1954 Bowman Ted Williams for the same money." But as I read your post, Leon, I wondered if maybe the active experience of collecting all your great cards was in fact the real joy, whereas the having of these same cards was less valuable. I hope so, since the memories of the experience can stay with you forever.
Spot on, Jason, and beautifully written.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:25 PM
Jimmy

Good Luck Leon,

Had to do the same when I got married and bought my house, then when I had kids and I am sure when the time comes for college and other future needs it will happen again.

Jimmy
Old 05-01-2015, 02:04 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default i'd put it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
You know perhaps Heritage can do "Leon signed" auction catalogs and selll those for a premum. After all, how many times can the honoree be here for their goods; that usually only happens after someone passes on.
along with my Halper signed catalog :-) Leon's might be worth more!
Old 05-01-2015, 02:19 PM
Bill Boyd

Leon,
I believe you said you would start a new collection. That is sort of out with the old and in with the new old.
Just kidding Leon, I tip my hat to you. It had to be a tough decision, but the right thing to do. Good luck with the auction and with your new old collection.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethicsprof View Post
In a certain sense, this marks the end of an era in our tiny world.
But T.S Eliot reminds us in 'Little Gidding':
what we call the beginning is often the end. And to make and end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from.

wishing you, Leon, and your wife and daughter all good things in this new era,

Barry
Not with a bang but a whimper.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:36 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Good Luck with the Auction Leon and as someone who had Two in College at the same time (Two years apart so they overlapped or two years) The Number they put in the catalog as high as it may seem is only a part of what it really ends up costing. But worth every penny.

Regards
Jonathan
Old 05-01-2015, 04:06 PM

Default He who has the most cards ...

So much for the philosophy that he who has the most cards when one dies, wins !
I am fortunate that I was able to keep and add to my collection as my 4 kids attended and graduated from college(my youngest does so in two weeks). Each had (has) a small student loan but I believe that when they have skin in the game, they are more likely to take their education seriously and complete it in 4 years. My wife and I were able to pay about 75% of their costs at in- state colleges.
It always makes me sad when a serious and passionate collector decides it is necessary to sell his collection that took years to assemble.
You are a better man and father than I.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:10 PM
Larry

Wow!!! I had to sell a major portion of my collection a few years ago due to a financial crisis, and I know it can be quite painful. The good part is that I have resumed collecting with a renewed fervor, and it seems that a lot of tough cards on my want list are coming my way at the moment, relieving a lot of the sting. For me, a collector of stars and HOF'ers, the card connected you to the player, and took you back to the time (and sometimes the place as well, with regionals). Indeed, the player's image is an instant of his life preserved for years, decades, centuries, and perhaps even longer--the history of the game I have always loved so very much, right there, in my hands. My ultimate plan was to leave a large chunk of the collection to God's missionary work after my death, as well as some to help finance college educations of my heirs who may be in need.

Best wishes always, Leon, and rest assured, the second time around can be better than the first!

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 05-01-2015 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:21 PM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

Leon,

I can't tell you how many times I have looked at your collection list, just to learn more about this hobby. That list has helped me focus on my collecting, and really educated me as a collector. I suppose it is fitting that it will now be going to help your own with their education. Thanks for running this site, until I found this, I was buying stuff from all over the spectrum, and just a little over a year ago now, bought my first T206, a Arellanes with a Pied. 350 back. Today, I have over 150, with 23 different backs, including a Red Hindu, Black Lenox, and Broad Leaf 350, not to mention all my PCL and Southern Assoc. cards. So this seems an appropriate time to say thanks, and hope it eases letting this go knowing how your collection has taught so many. Best of luck on the next collection.

Ed

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 05-01-2015, 07:47 PM
Barry Arnold

Default Peter S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Not with a bang but a whimper.
Eliot's The Wasteland as a retort:
I sat upon the shore
Fishing, with the arid plain behind me.
Shall I at least set my lands in order?

warm regards, ole buddy
Barry
Old 05-01-2015, 07:55 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethicsprof View Post
Eliot's The Wasteland as a retort:
I sat upon the shore
Fishing, with the arid plain behind me.
Shall I at least set my lands in order?

warm regards, ole buddy
Barry
or along similar lines:
Because I do not hope to turn again.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:21 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I agree with the general sentiment...Leon you are doing a very good thing and I'm sure your daughter will appreciate it. And I'm sure you will enjoy the auction and will be very happy with the outcome.

If so, there may even be enough left over for you to pursue some "type"
of degree yourself.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:51 AM
Cain J.

Leon,

You are selling for the right reasons and be proud that you put together one of the finest collections any of us have ever seen.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:51 PM
Daryl

Default Preview

http://sports.ha.com/c/auction-home....ionName-081514

Last edited by Leon; 05-16-2015 at 08:19 AM. Reason: url change
Old 05-14-2015, 05:37 PM

Thanks for the link Daryl. I will be unavailable to bid on the lot I am interested in, but I am thinking of having Leon bid on my behalf...just kidding. Great group of cards. I think it should be called the "Getting Luckey" Auction.

Brian
Old 05-14-2015, 05:48 PM
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
As someone with outstanding student loans, you are doing a really great thing for your daughter.
A+
Old 05-14-2015, 05:55 PM
Jeff Lowe

Default Can't wait !

1. Bookmarking
2. Clearing my schedule
3. Talking to my banker
4. Begging wife
Old 05-14-2015, 05:59 PM
Mike

Leon: Don't do it. Keep the collection. Get a few grants and loans and tell your daughter to get a part-time job ($5-10k year). Hope you like paying several hundred $$$$ per credit hour for those required courses like ( PE golf, Intro to Humanities etc) . All that collection money for nonsense classes and Happy Hours and parties.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:13 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

[QUOTE=4815162342;1411169]http://sports.ha.com/c/auction-home.zx?saleNo=7116&ic3=ViewItem-Auction-Preview-AuctionName-081514

Since I have received several questions concerning things not listed in the list which is linked to the auction I want to make sure folks know that it is only a partial list and is a work in progress. If you have seen a card in my collection, and it isn't a generic RPPC, it will be in the auction. Just because it isn't shown doesn't mean anything except they haven't got it loaded in yet. Also, some descriptions and possibly lots, will change. But everything is being sold and please don't worry if you want to bid on something and don't see it. If it is a card that is in my (1st) collection it is being sold. Please bid and bid often when it opens (in July) .

Last edited by Leon; 05-16-2015 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:16 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default assuming the everything but.....

includes your tobacco packs/advertising?
Old 05-16-2015, 12:10 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1880nonsports View Post
includes your tobacco packs/advertising?
All of my tobacco packs, cartons and stuff will be in the auction. There are some very rare and uniquely known items....(as you know, Henry)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ppackmasterlist1.jpg (79.0 KB, 356 views)
File Type: jpg pcartongypsyqueenx2.jpg (73.6 KB, 357 views)
File Type: jpg ppackminokotton2x.jpg (73.2 KB, 355 views)
Old 05-16-2015, 03:19 PM
Eric Perry

Hi Leon,

I plan to contribute to your daughter's college fund by overpaying for at least one item in this auction. How can I make sure that I receive a catalogue in the mail?

Best regards,

Eric
Old 05-16-2015, 05:47 PM
John

Default Leon

I'll second that.

How can I make sure that I receive a catalogue in the mail?

thanks,
john
Old 05-16-2015, 07:27 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkinbaseball View Post
I'll second that.

How can I make sure that I receive a catalogue in the mail?

thanks,
john
Any member who wants a catalog and is not on their mailing list already can get one sent to them. But it needs to be requested closer to early July. I am sure if a member checks the board every week or so they will probably see something about it. We might even do a thread once they start shipping to make sure everyone gets one. I am going to lock this thread for now. There will be more talk later, most likely. Thanks again for all of the kind words and best wishes. It should be a lot of fun to see some things that should be valuable with very few comparative sales sell in an open format. Interesting to say the least.