NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 08-11-2023, 11:19 PM
Tim Odeen

Default Ray Boynton Pastel Purchase

I suppose others have collections no one will care about after they die (everyone will care about baseball cards). For me, it's Ray Boynton. He is a distant relative who taught at UC Berkeley. He is rather obscure. I wrote my MA thesis about him, so he also helped me get a pay raise. When his art rarely pops up online I try to buy it. That occurred for me again last week.

A gentlemen listed one for $2200 which was an exorbitant price. Maybe for an oil, but not for a pastel. I told him I would make a standing offer of XYZ. We communicated and he accepted my offer.

This will be my second pastel that comes from a major collection. Boynton has a large permanent collection of ballet works held at Berkeley. This one, however, must have been sold in a show prior to the college acquiring their lot. It traveled all the way to Middlesex, England. There it was framed and eventually made its way back to the USA, and I obtained it from a man in Kansas.

If you live in the Bay area, he is best known for co-leading the Coit Tower murals. When the community thought the murals were all going to be communist propaganda, he became a de facto face on the project that the community respected. He helped save the project from being destroyed.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 08-12-2023 at 05:34 AM.
Old 08-12-2023, 11:44 AM
rgpete

Here is an oil on 24" x 30" canvas that I had Mariisa Tiberi do in the late 1980's before she became noticed for her art work. She was a co worker at that time, thats how I know of her art
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0163.jpg (102.0 KB, 57 views)
Old 08-12-2023, 02:42 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpete View Post
Here is an oil on 24" x 30" canvas that I had Mariisa Tiberi do in the late 1980's before she became noticed for her art work. She was a co worker at that time, thats how I know of her art
I looked her up. I like her artwork, some of them called colorscapes remind me of sail boats resting at anchor. This one reminded me of Puerto Vallarta.

Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 08-13-2023, 06:28 AM
rgpete

[QUOTE=todeen;2363630]I suppose others have collections no one will care about after they die (everyone will care about baseball cards). For me, it's Ray Boynton. He is a distant relative who taught at UC Berkeley. He is rather obscure. I wrote my MA thesis about him, so he also helped me get a pay raise. When his art rarely pops up online I try to buy it. That occurred for me again last week.

A gentlemen listed one for $2200 which was an exorbitant price. Maybe for an oil, but not for a pastel. I told him I would make a standing offer of XYZ. We communicated and he accepted my offer.

This will be my second pastel that comes from a major collection. Boynton has a large permanent collection of ballet works held at Berkeley. This one, however, must have been sold in a show prior to the college acquiring their lot. It traveled all the way to Middlesex, England. There it was framed and eventually made its way back to the USA, and I obtained it from a man in Kansas.

If you live in the Bay area, he is best known for co-leading the Coit Tower murals. When the community thought the murals were all going to be communist propaganda, he became a de facto face on the project that the community respected. He helped save the project from being destroyed.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE
I researched him, his work is well known. Its nice that you are able to acquire his work being a distant relative of yours. Hopefully you can acquire more to add to your collection
Old 08-13-2023, 09:37 AM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpete View Post

I researched him, his work is well known. Its nice that you are able to acquire his work being a distant relative of yours. Hopefully you can acquire more to add to your collection
If you read the Wikipedia page, I wrote that! it's based on my MA thesis research.

When I was doing my research, there were two other individuals I was able to reach out to that had a working knowledge of his career.

He is best known as a muralist. But collectors who collect early 1900s oil on canvas CA landscapes like him because his works are cheaper. He is a nice affordable entry point into that era.

Old 08-13-2023, 09:50 AM
rgpete

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
If you read the Wikipedia page, I wrote that! it's based on my MA thesis research.

When I was doing my research, there were two other individuals I was able to reach out to that had a working knowledge of his career.

He is best known as a muralist. But collectors who collect early 1900s oil on canvas CA landscapes like him because his works are cheaper. He is a nice affordable entry point into that era.

Wow Well Done