NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-26-2007, 02:36 AM
Administrator

Default L1 Leathers

Posted By: Dylan

I've always thought these were fascinating pieces of baseball history due to their unique nature. All I really know about them is that they were issued as premiums under the Helmar cigarette brand, they share the same checklist as the silk set, and that the images are the same as the turkey reds. If anyone here has any to display or any further information on them please do share!

Old 05-26-2007, 05:57 AM
Administrator

Default L1 Leathers

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

unfortunately.......do not belong to me........

Ad piece for T3, S81 and L1's

Nap Lajoie

Red Dooin

Ty Cobb

Rube Benton

Old 05-26-2007, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Default L1 Leathers

Posted By: Zach Rice

The gift slips, which can be seen in the above display, were the coupons used for obtaining the leathers, silks, and cabinet cards.

Baseball were not the only subjects available; famous generals, Indians, college mascots, Hamilton Girls, etc. were all available in all three formats.

I can't recall the exact numbers off the top of my head, but the more coupons or slips you turned in, the better the material you could get your selected image on. Something like 15 slips would allow you to get the image on a cardboard mount, 20 got your image on a silk, and something like 35 slips would allow you to get your requested image on leather.

Even more esoteric than the normal sized leathers were leathers that could be obtained by mailing in 245 (I think) coupons. These leathers are multiple times the size of a normal L1 and only a handful are known. Unfortunately baseball subjects are impossible in this format as only a small number of the available subjects mentioned above were available in this size. I've seen three Indian chiefs and one war general in this format.

Old 05-26-2007, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Default L1 Leathers

Posted By: mr. moses

I get a minute. There were many leathers produced for more than just the ATC issues - from the souvenir shops to other product giveaways - to personally made ones for fun or profit. I never saw one depicting a baseball player that WASN'T a tobacco issue that wasn't obviously folk art. Part of the problem is that they are very hard to identify. Just like the pillow tops they are ALWAYS attributed to being tobacco premiums when in fact MANY more aren't than are..... As for the giant leathers they are spectacular. I have seen a few. I've never seen one for baseball. Terry K. and Mr. Rotman probably have at least one. Interesting from a baseball perspective are the TEAM leathers with leather flaps the size of a pillow top. I owned a couple way back including Boston(?). They weren't tobacco premiums either. Transfer type photos if I remember right. They came on white and tobacco colored leathers (finished on one side I think). I will look up what I can and post a pic.. Just a couple/three O/T pieces and my reef tank ....

Old 07-04-2007, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Default L1 Leathers

Posted By: David Smith

I don't have any L1 Leathers of baseball players but I do have these two of Minnehaha and Sitting Bull. Unfortunately, a previous owner glued them onto a piece of cardboard. They are cracked at the corners/edges and I am scared to try and remove them for fear they will break.

David