NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-31-2002, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Default cabinet card restoration

Posted By: runscott

thought some of you might be interested. I'm debating on whether or not to cut an angled border around it and paint the border gold. It would look more like a normal period cabinet, but a little smaller.

Old 08-31-2002, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

That is fine with me (as it's yours, it's not my choice anyway). Considering the substantial and unsightly wear and the relative-inexpensiveness of the photograph, it may not even effect the value (who knows, may raise the value). The player with batbag is sharp, and I understand why restoration would be disired if you were planning on displaying the image around the house. Another way would be to display it proporly framed and matted. This way, it would display well without changing the photograph itself.

Old 08-31-2002, 08:06 PM
Administrator

For the record, and before some of you card guys have a stroke, I'm personally against restoration (personal taste with a tinge of ethical consideration) and have never had it done it to anything I own-- but understand that for some people, instances and genres it can be acceptable/desirable.

Old 08-31-2002, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Oops, I lied. I once has an old die-cut cardboard sign where the the very tip (like 1/4") of the tassle on soldier's helmet broke off, and I glued it back on with elmer's glue.

Old 09-01-2002, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

...and only because it was so damned ugly.

1) I wrapped a thin terry cloth around my forefinger, dipped it occasionally in warm water, and rubbed gently on the glue/paper residue areas. It worked well, but I had to be very careful about the amount that I soaked each area, and how hard I rubbed. The only unintended result was that there was some discoloring of the dark mat where I used too much water, and if I soaked an area too long or rubbed too hard, a little of the black mat paper came off.

I don't think David is going to like this, but...you can "blend" some aberrations on these old mats just by rubbing with your fingers - the oil in your skin does the trick. I do this all the time and it is completely unnoticeable.

2) Some previous owner had darkened parts of the actual white photo border with a lead pencil. Very, very odd. Anyway, I simply erased it with an art gum eraser.

3) I was joking about trimming and painting it...but I did originally give it consideration, thinking the picture might be beyond saving.

I have found that #1 above works well for normal baseball cards also.

Old 09-02-2002, 01:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian C Daniels

For expert " AMG" treatment!