NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-09-2016, 12:15 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Default Need Help Identifying Ruth Program & More

Hello everyone. Long time no talk. Long story short, I am helping a local guy sell off his collection, and am having some issue identifying certain aspects of the items. Feel free to chime in with any help you may be able to offer.

First Item: 1926 Yankee Stadium Program featuring both Ruth & Gehrig unscored.

How can I identify the exact game? Is there any possible way to do so without scoring?

What kind of value would I put on something like this? I see them selling for a pretty penny, but without knowing exact specifics of the item it's tough for me to come up with a price. Any thoughts?

Second Item: June 15th 1941 Joe Dimaggio Hit Streak Program. Scored DiMaggio Home Run. Hit streak up to 28.

My question is, although I see these selling frequently on ebay from the streak, what type of premium does the Home Run add to this? Being that there were only 14 games in which he homered during the streak, I figure that this brings up the value, but by how much?

Third Item: July 12th 1948 Satchel Paige first game pitching in Yankee Stadium program. Scored in.

My question is, after searching for similar program from his rookie year, I have not been able to compare this to them given the fact he pitched and it being his first game at the stadium. Any thoughts on the value of this?

Fourth Item: 1947 Dodgers Vs Cardinals Program Unscored in.

My question is, how can I figure out the exact game this was? Is there a way? Help would be appreciated.

Fifth Item: First Opening Day At Fenway Post Card (Original) Featuring Ruth.

My question is I simply do not see these on the internet and when i do they are just photo's and not past auction results. Any thoughts to value?

Is this something worth getting slabbed?

Sixth Item: HELP! lol

No idea what this is... Approx a inch wide by 1.5 inches high featuring a boy holding a bat. The guy said it's called a jewel something supposedly but does not know much beyond that. Any ideas?

Seventh Item: HELP AGAIN!? lol

Do not know what this is at all. a card of a woman that says Eric Farewell at the bottom. I know it's not baseball related but hey it's worth a shot!

Thanks in advance for your time and help!
Old 07-09-2016, 12:30 PM
Ben L

An example of the Red Sox card sold at auction:

http://brockelmanauctions.com/lot-6117.aspx
Old 07-09-2016, 12:41 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronHorse2130 View Post
An example of the Red Sox card sold at auction:

http://brockelmanauctions.com/lot-6117.aspx
Thanks so much. What did you search for on that?
Old 07-09-2016, 02:36 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Anyone?
Old 07-09-2016, 03:00 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

The "jewel" is an 1860s-70s gem tintype. Called gem due to its small size. It is early for a tintype.

The last is an 1870s carte de visite (aka CDV). I don't know who is the woman. Perhaps an actress.

Last edited by drcy; 07-09-2016 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:21 PM

With regard to the unscored programs, you can generally narrow them down to a particular series by looking at the rosters of the teams. Enough players get sent down, brought up, traded, etc. that careful comparison with baseball-reference.com rosters, schedules and box scores can tell you that Joe Bloggs was on the team from May 5th to June 18th, therefore the only series vs the Tigers he could have appeared in is the May 28th through 31st one. Further narrowing to a specific game is hard. Sometimes the ads have clues - Macy's Spring White Sale would likely not take place in July. Some will even have ads for things like "next TV game September 28th," although these would be too early for that specific example.

Your "Erin Farewell" picture is a colleen saying goodbye to the Emerald Isle.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:44 PM
Alan Elefson

Hi-
The Red Sox postcard predates Ruth by at least a few years as there are several examples postmarked 1912. It is fairly common and normally sells for 50 dollars depending on the condition. Good luck with selling everything.

Alan
Old 07-09-2016, 05:33 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Thanks a lot for all your help everyone. Any idea on the values of the programs?
Old 07-09-2016, 07:31 PM
Alan Elefson

Hi-
Here are my opinions on the values of the programs. I am sure someone with more knowledge than I will post more accurate figures.

The 26 Ruth program is worth about 200 at the top. If he hit a homerun or two, a little more (250-300). The 41 hit streak program is cool, and I am guessing is worth about 100-150 or so. Tickets from the streak seem to be more actively collected than programs. Of course, if two people are collecting the programs and they both need this one, the price could double or more. I am guessing the Paige program is similar (100 or so).

Please note these are just my opinions and hopefully smarter folks will chime in with more realistic values.

Alan
Old 07-10-2016, 01:52 AM
Doug Goodman

Can you post pictures of the scorecard pages?
Old 07-10-2016, 08:17 AM
jdunevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacgreg View Post
With regard to the unscored programs, you can generally narrow them down to a particular series by looking at the rosters of the teams. Enough players get sent down, brought up, traded, etc. that careful comparison with baseball-reference.com rosters, schedules and box scores can tell you that Joe Bloggs was on the team from May 5th to June 18th, therefore the only series vs the Tigers he could have appeared in is the May 28th through 31st one. Further narrowing to a specific game is hard. Sometimes the ads have clues - Macy's Spring White Sale would likely not take place in July. Some will even have ads for things like "next TV game September 28th," although these would be too early for that specific example.
I use the approaches quoted in addition to the pitching matchup (if pre-printed) in comparison to the baseball-ref game logs. It can narrow down quite a bit and sometimes to an exact identification.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:33 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
The "jewel" is an 1860s-70s gem tintype. Called gem due to its small size. It is early for a tintype.

The last is an 1870s carte de visite (aka CDV). I don't know who is the woman. Perhaps an actress.
Thank you very much. That is extremely helpful! Any idea as to the value of something like this?
Old 07-11-2016, 11:38 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

The CDV probably doesn't have much value, but the tintype is probably worth $100+ due to the early age. The small size and not great image is a negative, but the the early date makes it rare and, well, early for a baseball tintype or photograph.

Last edited by drcy; 07-11-2016 at 11:52 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:45 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
The CDV probably doesn't have much value, but the tintype is probably worth $100+ due to the early age. The small size and not great image is a negative, but the the early date makes it rare and, well, early for a baseball tintype or photograph.
Thank you very much