NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-24-2011, 10:28 PM

Default Shops with Pre-War in Southern California?

I'm fairly new here and just started collecting Pre-War. I've been to a few shops in SoCal and to both warehouse shows and I don't recall seeing any T206. Any suggestions for shops in Southern California that have some Pre-war cards or is my best choice to just pick things up on the forum & ebay? I am mainly looking for T206. I tried using the search functions but didn't see anything. Thanks.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:38 PM
Fred

Southern California is kind of a large area. San Diego? Orange County? LA? San Fernando Valley?
Old 01-25-2011, 01:54 AM
Dave Foster

I can only speak to San Diego, which is a vast wasteland for collecting. However, three remaining brick/mortar shops may have promise or leads: All Star Cards in Santee, Center City Sportscards on 6th Ave in SD and CJ's Sportscards in Poway. As for SD based eBayers: Card Merchant in Poway, Sun Diego Collectibles . . . and, if $ is no object, Kit Young.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:28 AM

I live in Pasadena so LA or OC.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:25 AM

Default All star cards?

How is all star cards in santee? I used to go to CJ's but when they moved from their old shop to their new one, they sold off all of their tobacco cards (bummer). Also, there uses to be a shop in clairemont but that shop shut down a few years back, seems to be a trend with card shops. The best one I had been to was Hollywood card in LA. I have only been there once and they hD a great selection of vintage cards, the only problem was I was with my future wife and she wasn't as into it as I was!

Jeff
Old 01-25-2011, 02:10 PM
Fred

Jeff,

Allstar Cards in Santee? Is Jerry still around? That shop had lots of new and shiney stuff. He had a few vintage cards now and then but had no idea what to do with it.

There was a "T3" (the size of a standard Topps card) in the case one day and it was priced like a "real" T3. I looked and started laughing. I told them it wasn't a "real" T3. If memory serves me right he had some stuff from the 50's but not much earlier than that. I did happen to pick up a nice caramel card of Jack Johnson from there a LONG time ago.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:11 PM
Bobby Binder

Beverly Hills Card Shop on Robertson always has a large selection of pre-war it is about a couple miles North of the 10 freeway and the owner is Matt.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:20 PM
Bruce Babcock

Burbank Sportscards has a huge inventory of post-war/current stuff. I bought some 56 Topps there to fill out my set. Very little pre-war last time I checked, which was a few years ago. And what was there was over-priced. Vintage to them is pre-1980. They do a lot of mail order. The owner Rob I've found to be a good guy. His dad? Not a barrel of laughs. Probably not worth a long-distance trip.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:10 PM

I moved down to LA from the SF Bay Area a couple months ago and it's surprising how few shops there are here. I tried looking online and a lot of them have closed. I think there are more shops in the Bay Area than LA and the Bay Area is a lot smaller. Thanks for the suggestions so far.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:40 PM
M!ke S@il£r

I guess the world-wide-web changed this hobby for both the good and the bad. From what I see in the midwest, most baseball card shops have turned into Magic card and comic book shops out of necessity. Not that I'd be able to do it anymore, but I miss the Saturday morning BSing at the local baseball card shop.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:59 PM
Danny Smith

California sports cards in LA has a very nice selection of pre-war cards. I was out there 2 years ago and picked up a ton of t206s. Great sop.

Danny
3) Crawford
4) Magee
5) O'Hara

N172 Want List
1) Phenomenal Smith (all poses and variations)
Old 01-25-2011, 09:39 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

California Sportscards has a large inventory and carries a decent amount of pre-war. Southbay Sportscards in Torrance also had a good selection. Beverly Hills Baseball card shop is great, Matt knows his stuff, and his prices are pretty good. Burbank is my standard for huge card shop. They moved to a large warehouse a few years ago and have the largest inventory on hand I have ever seen. They do have some prewar stashed away but it is often expensive and you have to get Rob to get it. Rob has been great for me over the years though. Valley Baseball cards, one of the oldest stores in LA, is located on Ventura Bl. in the west end of the San Fernando Valley. Original owner passed away a few years ago but new owner really has not changed too much. Last time I was in he had a few reasonably priced pre-war cards but nothing I was interested in. Lots of oddball, beaters, and stars there though.

That is about it. Used to be a great shop in Claremont that had wonderful inventory and prices but they sold off their stuff. There is a shop still on Grand Ave. in or around Glendora that gets some vintage rarely.

AVOID Porkys in the west San Fernando Valley...overpriced and a-holes.

Joshua
Old 01-26-2011, 06:50 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Porky's reviews are terrible on various customer review sites, citing bad attitude, high prices and poor service. As for the owner, I spent a miserable flight from the National back to LA seated next to that ... person. Perhaps the most obnoxious, irritating jerk I have ever met (and that's saying something given the company here ). His basic communication mode was bragging on how badly he'd ripped off the small-time rube dealers at the show and how much money he was going to make reselling the cards he'd purchased to his ignorant rich clientele. Plus his brag that he owns 2 (yes, 2) T206 Wagners. All broadcast in a loud, nasal voice that was like a baseball bat to the spine after about 30 seconds. I watched a movie I'd already seen just to get him to STF up.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-26-2011 at 06:52 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:31 AM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

Default Shops with Pre-War in Southern California?

South Bay Baseball Cards Inc. offers quality modern and vintage sports cards, collectibles and memorabilia. Serving the collector young and old for 24 years! 1751 Pacific Coast Hwy Lomita ,CA 90717. Call Toll free:1-888-889-7575. Ian is the owner.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:30 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Scratch off CJ's Sportscards in Poway (San Diego)...just got an email saying they were going out of business.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:07 AM
Fred

Adam,

I've always liked your diplomacy!
Old 01-28-2011, 12:10 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Matt at beverly hills card shop is a good guy. I have bought a couple of high grade t206s from him
Old 01-28-2011, 02:14 PM

Default Wow

Wow, I can't believe that CJ's is already out of business! They moved to their new location in Poway just a year ago and now their out of business. That was quick!

Jeff
Old 01-28-2011, 02:33 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Adam,

I've always liked your diplomacy!
"War is a continuation of diplomacy using other means." Carl von Clausewitz, Über den Krieg

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...