NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-03-2007, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Default 19th century photo identification

Posted By: Alan Elefson

Hi-
I am posting this thread in the hopes that folks will post their 19th century baseball pictures that they need help identifying things like the year, league, etc. I realize that most of the photos will be similar to the photo I am posting below, that is, a group of men (company picnic, family reunion?) who are pictured together. This probably means that identifying names and even a location are iffy at best. However, I hope the experts on this board can assist with ideas for how old the photo is, as well as anything else that can be shared.
I acquired the photo below at a flea market this weekend (quick aside - this was one of the few times rummaging through a dealer's box of miscellaneous paper and ephemera might have paid off). It was buried in a box of junk paper and I paid about 3.00 for it. I know it is not a "real" team, but I am happy nonetheless with the piece. Does anyone know approximately what year it might be from (there are at least two bats and possibly 2 gloves pictured in the scan)? Or, are there any other bits of information you might know about this item? I also had a thought that it might be a later copy of an older photo (if it is, no big deal, that is why I love flea markets). It is glued down on a cardboard mount, and has the word Forresters written in silver on the back. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
As a reminder, please post other 19th century images you would like more information about to keep this thread alive! Please note, I saw the thread from RamRam asking folks to post 19h century pics, etc, but as that one had 40 odd posts, I figured a new one is in order.
Thanks in advance,
Alan Elefson
aelefson@meditech.com

Old 07-03-2007, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith

Love the idea for this thread (and the other you started). This forum is a great resource at IDing older photos and has helped me out on more than one occassion. Your photo reminds me of one I picked up at an estate sale a couple years back. Mine is marked Westinghouse Company Picnic and is dated 1918 so its newer than yours, but some of the people in my photo are wearing or holding similar hats as those in yours - those straw looking striped hats. Not sure if that is company picnic attire or not but looks similar. If I were to guess, I would guess company picnic for your photo, but there are alot more knowledgable people on this forum than me. I would think there would be some women or at least more women (can't tell if any are in there or not) in the photo if it were a family reunion shot.
I would try (its a long shot) to research the local area in which you bought the photo for companies by that name.

?t=1183431940

If its ok, I have a couple 19th century football photos that I have been unable to ID and could definetly use some help.

Here is a photo marked 1888 on back, and the photographer is located in Concorde NH. My next step in researching this one is to contact local historical societies and/or some local libraries, but to date, I haven't been able to get very far with researching this one.

?t=1183432501

I bought the photo below in its original frame and I was hoping that when I took it out of its frame I would uncover an ID written on back or at least a photographer stamp hidden underneat the matt, but unfortunately neither was the case. The only identifiers on the photo are 2 of the players have B on their chest, and the name Gurney is written on back

?t=1183432805

thanks,
KJ

Old 07-04-2007, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan Elefson

Those are great photos! The one I posted might very well be the same date, or newer, than your photo (I just guessed it was 19th century but I have nothing to prove that). Unfortunately, I can neither date nor identify any of your incredible photos, but I too hope others will chime in on this thread.
Alan Elefson

Old 07-04-2007, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

This one is rather intriguing as it has an African American man sitting with them...is he a player? Mascot?

This is one that I am dying to find out more about - it is 1882 from the uniform styles, but who is it???