NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-02-2018, 06:37 PM
Chris

Default T206 HOFers - Beauty in the Eye of the Beholder

There have been several polls as to which T206s have the most desirable image, with Johnson, Cobb, Mathewson, and Lajoie usually winning or in top 10. The question is whether these are the most desirable because:
1. We associate beauty with value, hence HOFer cards are more appealing as they are more valuable;
2. The artist(s) devoted more time/attention to the popular players of the era(subsequent HOFers), thereby drawing more attractive images for such players, or
3. Great ball players were simply more photogenic and made better looking images/cards?
Old 07-03-2018, 12:44 AM
Steve

There are alot of Common Players that I think have Great Pictures.

I do Like LaJoie (Portrait) and Cobb (Bat off Shoulder) though

Interesting Point about the Artist Spending More Time on HOF Players.

Last edited by that T206 Guy; 07-03-2018 at 12:44 AM.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:50 AM
Duncan

I agree that some commons are among the best images. The Merkle throwing is one of my favorites
Old 07-03-2018, 09:23 AM
Bry@n

Conroy batting is one of my favorites and he is a common. Had to get that out first.

I think part of this has to do with the photos available for the artists to use. The better players had a lot more photos given the greater interest, so it was easier to start with an excellent image. On the flip side, I think my Ellam RPPC was probably the only choice to make the Ellam card and I suspect that was the case for a lot of the lesser known players.

Another layer, as you mention, is that the artists used clearly were not equally talented. And sometimes, in a pinch, they even let the 5-year-old kids of the artists create the artwork, e.g. Pat Moran (just kidding!). However, there are some images of the stars that I don't think of as being high art even if they are appealing - Cobb bat on and WaJo hands at chest come to mind - those don't compare with the artistry of their other cards in the set.

Fun thread!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ellam & T206.jpg (68.6 KB, 194 views)
Old 07-03-2018, 10:45 AM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
And sometimes, in a pinch, they even let the 5-year-old kids of the artists create the artwork, e.g. Pat Moran (just kidding!).
Don't forget Spike Shannon!

Old 07-04-2018, 12:36 AM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
Conroy batting is one of my favorites and he is a common. Had to get that out first.

I think part of this has to do with the photos available for the artists to use. The better players had a lot more photos given the greater interest, so it was easier to start with an excellent image. On the flip side, I think my Ellam RPPC was probably the only choice to make the Ellam card and I suspect that was the case for a lot of the lesser known players.

Another layer, as you mention, is that the artists used clearly were not equally talented. And sometimes, in a pinch, they even let the 5-year-old kids of the artists create the artwork, e.g. Pat Moran (just kidding!). However, there are some images of the stars that I don't think of as being high art even if they are appealing - Cobb bat on and WaJo hands at chest come to mind - those don't compare with the artistry of their other cards in the set.

Fun thread!
Interesting.

Anybody know how many Artists were used on the Set?
Old 07-04-2018, 04:08 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by that T206 Guy View Post

I do Like Cobb (Bat off Shoulder) though

Interesting Point about the Artist Spending More Time on HOF Players.
I don't know if the artist spent more time on this one because it's Cobb, but the combination of colors in the background make this card my favorite in the set; that and the fact that it is Cobb on the card.

scan0001.jpg
Old 07-04-2018, 04:10 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince hal View Post
i agree that some commons are among the best images. The merkle throwing is one of my favorites
scan0025.jpg
Old 07-04-2018, 04:15 AM
Sean Costello

On a somewhat related matter, does anyone know why the Brooklyn players seem to have backgrounds featuring combinations of pastel colors such as pink when few other cards use them?

Jordan and Rucker come to mind as examples.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:20 PM

It has always seemed to me that a good chunk of collectors seem to find the cards of HOF to be the most attractive. I believe this is a more the result of the card being artistically well done AND that it depicts a popular player that is in demand.

As others pointed out, the T206 set is littered with good looking artwork with great use of colors. Just with an available scan for example, many of these portraits would be qualify, and imagine if Lefty Leifield had a HOF career how many more admirers would rate this card near the top of the T206 heap.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t206redorange088 (800x707).jpg (71.4 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg t206 leifield (120x197) (2).jpg (38.1 KB, 79 views)