NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-20-2012, 01:17 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Default Don't you love it when...

While the title may have a sarcastic tone, this thread isn't. There's been an abundance of "bad experience" threads lately, and not many on the positive side.

Don't you love it when some one contacts you out of the blue because they have a card they think you want? No auction; no competition; just a friendly message and a fair price. Now this isn't the first time this has happened to me, but it is the latest. I recently received the following PM:
"I was just looking at your set and see you don't have a Huggins (port) I have one I'd be willing to sell if your interested?"
Friggin' awesome. This one was an absolute beauty and I'm super excited to have it in my collection. Thanks again, Reg! Anyone else have similar experiences lately?

Last edited by t206hound; 01-20-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:22 PM
Ken McMillan

I actually did this with a card I had and sent it to a board member as a birthday present. Don't know when his birthday is amd didn't care. He was looking for cards so I sent one he needed no strings attached. The only stipulation was that he enjoyed the card.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:25 PM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

Great idea!

Surprises like that are always the best part of the hobby.. so many to name...

A fellow board member named Andrew messaged me saying he had a nadja that would fit my collection. Instead of going with the "I'm not looking to part with it, but if you blow my mind I'll consider selling it" route, he actually did it a fair way. He said he wasn't going to sell it anyone else, and said it belonged in my collection. I offered him a pretty fair price, and he was cool with it. Best transaction ever; there wasn't even any negotiating to get me to up my price. It even happened two weeks before Christmas?

Rob D was patient with me as I gathered my funds up to pay for his e107 Lajoie. He even had other suitors that I'm sure would have paid much more quickly, but I do appreciate the patience.

Leon and I had a 6 month back and forth on a certain card, and I appreciate him keeping the window open in the end so I could purchase it! Most people would have probably ignored mee after a little One of my fav cards.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums

Last edited by sportscardpete; 01-20-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:28 PM
George E.

I'll add a feel good story.

In Iggy's trade game thread (itself a feel good story. Thanks, Iggyman), brianp-beme sent me the Geo Kelly W517 for free, out of the blue, after realizing he already had one.

thanks again, Brian.

George
Old 01-20-2012, 01:30 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Default Even more experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscardpete View Post
He said he wasn't going to sell it anyone else, and said it belonged in my collection. I offered him a pretty fair price, and he was cool with it. Best transaction ever; there wasn't even any negotiating to get me to up my price.
I had a VERY similar experience with Lee. I was looking through his set registry and saw a miscut name on top that I REALLY liked. His comment was almost identical to that... it belonged in my collection. I offered him a price I thought was fair and it was mine.

And Johnny V. also sent me a card for my collection simply because I told him about an auction that he ended up winning.

Those are just a few experiences... some great guys here on N54.

Last edited by t206hound; 01-20-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:45 PM
Tim Caravella

Unfortunately, it is our society as a whole. Everyone looks for the negative. The media/news keeps pushing it at us, over and over every day. Right before Xmas I went to my local lunch diner and my bill was $12. I gave the lady at the counter a $100 and said that I didn't want any change, just treat the next several people to lunch. She looked at me as if I had three heads and said that was the "weirdest" request she had ever gotten. Really?? You can't just do anything positive any more without being evaluated for mental health or some kind of ulterior motive.

Sad that it has come to this, but we all have the power to change it!!!
Old 01-20-2012, 01:54 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Several great experiences on here.

Tim traded two trickier to find 649 backs and backed off a few auctions to help complete my run.

Bill Brown offered up the last two 649s I needed in exchange for two of my doubles. One is back with him now and the second one is in the works

Myself and Johnny V have backed off a few error cards & rare backs to help each other out. I get as much enjoyment watching great people like him get the cards they collect as I do getting them myself.

For the most part, you guys rock!
Old 01-20-2012, 02:10 PM
David M.

I had a great experience with a board member. He advertised a T205 I wanted. We negotiated a price and I sent him my address. At first he thought I was trying to pull something, but then finally said, "We can just meet somewhere in town and I'll give it to you rather than ship it." It turned out we lived in the same town and didn't even know each other! We chatted for almost an hour and now it turns out I've made a collecting friend through this board.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:24 PM
Ken McMillan

David, where do you live in Socal?
Old 01-20-2012, 02:27 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206hound View Post
I had a VERY similar experience with Lee. I was looking through his set registry and saw a miscut name on top that I REALLY liked. His comment was almost identical to that... it belonged in my collection. I offered him a price I thought was fair and it was mine.

And Johnny V. also sent me a card for my collection simply because I told him about an auction that he ended up winning.

Those are just a few experiences... some great guys here on N54.
I hate to one-up people, but Lee once sent me a card for free, just because I had said something about it in a thread. Others have done the same - Bill Cornell, Jacklitsch (Steve), and a few others.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:28 PM
David M.

Inland actually. In Redlands.

Last edited by GasHouseGang; 02-07-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:38 PM
Ken McMillan

I used to live in Yucaipa and Beaumont, then went to arizona. I am now in the desert. You are still within an hour from me.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:41 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

I've had some great experiences with the members on this forum...Phil for one, has contacted me privately a handful of times about items that he thinks I'd be interested in. I usually am. Unfortunately, I've never been able to pull the trigger on any of them due to being caught at the wrong time...But I do appreciate the thought.

Another great experience came from iggyman. A while back he posted a lot of 1929 Kashin's in the BST. I inquired about buying one as a single, and he wrote back that he had already sold the lot, but did have an extra lower-grade example if I was interested, and then offered it for free, if I buy him a beer someday.... Hopefully, one of these days I'll catch up with him, and buy him that beer, or two.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:27 PM
J.O.N

I have recently had a great experience with a board member that surprised me out of the blue.

Thanks Marty!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327112695.204406.jpg (8.2 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327112834.345736.jpg (8.9 KB, 247 views)

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke

Love the hobby.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:32 PM
Alan U

99% of my ebay purchasing/selling experiences are good....

For every bad thing you hear about an athlete(s), I like to think there are 99 good things they do that you never hear about
Old 01-20-2012, 09:59 PM
Reg

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206hound View Post
While the title may have a sarcastic tone, this thread isn't. There's been an abundance of "bad experience" threads lately, and not many on the positive side.

Don't you love it when some one contacts you out of the blue because they have a card they think you want? No auction; no competition; just a friendly message and a fair price. Now this isn't the first time this has happened to me, but it is the latest. I recently received the following PM:
"I was just looking at your set and see you don't have a Huggins (port) I have one I'd be willing to sell if your interested?"
Friggin' awesome. This one was an absolute beauty and I'm super excited to have it in my collection. Thanks again, Reg! Anyone else have similar experiences lately?
Any time! I really appreciate it when someone helps me out so I like to do the same. I've only been on the board a short time. It seems to have a great group of people..
It's not everyday someone posts something like this, as someone said above most of the time people just post the negative things.. Thanks again for the shout out..

Last edited by Vegas-guy; 01-20-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:44 PM

Default Comradere

Did i spell that right???

Erick,(great thread btw)
you make my collecting fun again, you always have my back and are great people.....i love seeing you get those full name at tops, don't stop my friend, your collection is getting crazy kewl i love having a friend like you out here, and t206 passion is in your blood....your an eagle eye btw
out of no where you emailed me and started to a great friendship my bro..

Chris,

Dude, thank God for you.....you have impressed the crap out of me I love that you collect these freaks and finally can confide in great people...Jamie has your passion also.....Chris!!!!You sent me an ab 460 i needed , i was going to purchase from you......you said, buddy, this ones on me!!Chris sends me a card all the way from our bros in Canada.....that was a sweet Christmas present....

Jim R,

You know what i'm saying

Clayton, Brian, Johnny D, Jantz, Jamie, Wonks, Art,Mike Healer , Chris Buckler i can not even start naming names, i would leave too many too many names out.....i consider friends and not collectors....i know i have had posts like this, but so what, these guys deserve the recognition...

I feel cardboard should not come between people...not right, unfortunately when money is involved, it bring out the worst in us....id like to say i have had extremely minimum expereinces in that way in the hobby, fortunately, since i'm just a collector, and rarely sell my cards....i love to negotiate, trade, and get a great bargain , but that's the fun of it for me, not to say there not of value

Net 54 has become a second home for me and i get most of my best cards from these guys...Johnny D showed me your site Leon and i was hooked
We need great collectors like the few i just mentioned to make our hobby what it is...

Phew

Btw...thanks again for the heads up tonite Erick....congrats on your card....

Chris and Jamie....you guys are great on double stamp....and thanks Chris for it....i was looking for that for a while......you 2 made it possible for me to have that card...
Old 01-21-2012, 09:46 AM
Bill Hedin

Default the greatest group of friends!

I love net 54 and every member of this fine community has been there for me in so many ways.
I got so many get well cards and cards from members last Christmas, when my health was failing. I was so overwhelmed and happy that every one was thinking of me during a rough time.
As Leon always tells me, "I have more friends than i could possibly realize', I wear my Net54 shirt with pride which an anonymous member bought me and Leon had made special for me! When I wear a tie, my net54 pin is on it!

The future of our hobby is here, and you are all the finest group of people I've ever known. I'm proud to call you my friends!

Bill Hedin
Old 01-21-2012, 12:32 PM
Lee B.
lee be.hrens

I have 3 that I can remember off the top of my head and all have to do with members helping me with my quest for the Cycle 460.

Brian Weisner sent me a card unexpectedly.

Jim Rivera traded me all the Cycle 460s in his collection (except one :-) ) I needed.

Mike Frohme approached me with the Cycle 460s he had in his Pirates collection that he had decided to break up. We worked out a deal.

These are at the top of my list but I have made many good friends in this hobby that aren't all about the money.

Thanks to those for the nice comments, I have got to the point if I have a card I am willing to move I would rather get it into the hands of a good collector.

Lee
Old 01-21-2012, 12:37 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingshoegiverouterguy View Post
I have got to the point if I have a card I am willing to move I would rather get it into the hands of a good collector.

Lee
Lee, I am the number one good collector. All others are number two, or lower.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:09 PM

As a college student in 1980, I was working on a beautiful condition 1955 Topps set.I went to a show in Secaucus/Meadowlands New Jersey.I brought a small empty box for my purchases.I saw a great deal on a run of 1962-1968 Mets yearbook. I bought them.They were under my arm.I filled my empty box with-as I may remember-Aaron,Williams,Mays,Snider, and a big handfull of commons.With all that under my arms.While walking around, a little 10 year old girl tugged at my shirt from behind. "Mister, I think you dropped this box."
Old 01-21-2012, 02:17 PM

I guess I returned the favor a few months ago. I won a Diamond Star common on ebay. In the bubble envelope was the common, and the most beautiful Greenberg and Ott I ever touched. Owner was happy to have them back.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:03 AM
martin

Although I have had a lot of great experience (and thanks to all) with fellow collectors on this board, I would like to mention Mike Healer especially. The other day we were talking about the hobby in general and what sets and subsets we were focusing on, I happened to mention that I was starting to collect E90-1s. Next thing I knew there was a nice E90-1 Hal Chase in the mail. I think that will cost me quite a few beers at the National. Looking forward to seeing you again, buddy!

Last edited by martin neal; 01-22-2012 at 07:04 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin neal View Post
Although I have had a lot of great experience (and thanks to all) with fellow collectors on this board, I would like to mention Mike Healer especially. The other day we were talking about the hobby in general and what sets and subsets we were focusing on, I happened to mention that I was starting to collect E90-1s. Next thing I knew there was a nice E90-1 Hal Chase in the mail. I think that will cost me quite a few beers at the National. Looking forward to seeing you again, buddy!
Great story - and Mike is a top-shelf guy! How do I know this? Because this hobby gave me the chance to meet Mike at the last National. The friends I have made through this hobby are a huge positive for me.

Cheers,
Blair
Old 01-22-2012, 02:52 PM
MikeHealer

Martin-I'm glad you like the card and looking forward to seeing you again in Baltimore.

Blair-Thanks for the kind words and the feelings are mutual, really enjoyed our conversation last year. Hope to see you again at this years national.

Take care
Mike
Old 01-22-2012, 07:43 PM

Default Mike Healer

Healer is the Man!!