NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-05-2012, 10:37 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Default T-206 CIGARETTE BASEBALL CARDS Booklet By Richard S. Egan Jan '66

This thread is actually in response to a closed thread titled The making of - "Handbook To US Early Candy and Gum Cards" - Egan, 1969. In a letter to one of his contemporaries (Buck Barker, I believe) Mr. Egan made referrence to the T-206 booklet. Some speculated that he was speaking of the 1980 Heitman book, The Monster. Since Mr. Egan published this booklet in early 1966, it's probably what he was referring to.

I bought my copy from the Card Collectors Company in that same time period with my lawn mowing money. The complete tome is nine pages plus cover. He uses a fascinating coding system to categorize the backs (page 2) and player poses (page 3). The cards are numbered alphabetically by team and league. American League teams are first followed by National then the minor leagues. To the right of the player's name it shows the code of the possible backs and poses. The last page is a summary. The closing paragraph strongly suggests that the set may not be complete at 523 cards. He concludes, "...since the checklist was first printed in 1938 there have been no major additions."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T206 Booklet Cover.jpg (74.9 KB, 380 views)
File Type: jpg T206 Booklet P1.jpg (79.3 KB, 377 views)
File Type: jpg T206 Booklet P2.jpg (76.1 KB, 378 views)
File Type: jpg T206 Booklket P3.jpg (75.3 KB, 373 views)
File Type: jpg T206 Booklet P4.jpg (76.1 KB, 377 views)

Last edited by Jerry G; 01-06-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:39 PM
Robert A

Very cool Jerry. Had not seen that before.

Thanks for sharing.

Rob
Old 01-05-2012, 10:50 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Default Thanks, Rob.

I think it's a interesting look at our hobby pre-computers, internet and lots of other things.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:01 PM
Archive

Interesting glimpse into the past of card collecting.

I especially like page 2 with the different backs. No Piedmont 460 factory 42, but its mentioned in the first paragraph of page 3.

Thanks for posting Jerry.

Jantz

Last edited by Jantz; 01-05-2012 at 11:02 PM. Reason: added more
Old 01-05-2012, 11:07 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Very cool!
Old 01-06-2012, 06:27 AM
Frank Wakefield

Great, Jerry. Thanks for posting that. Mr. Egan organized and listed those cards by team. I well understand why today many folks sort alphabetically. But if they'd spread those cards out on a table, sort 'em by team, and then within each team by series, they'd then begin to notice the style of the cards. For example, with the Cubs you'd see "Cubs" on the jerseys on the early cards, and "Chicago" vertically down the front of the shirt along the button holes on the later cards. Thanks again, Jerry.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:53 AM
Barry Arnold

Default Jerry

many thanks for sharing the 'tome'.
and for the note regarding the old lawnmowing days---around the mid-60's i was pulling in around 3 bucks for half acre lots. I bet the egan set you back around a hard day's mowing.
all the best,
barry
Old 01-06-2012, 09:12 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default thanks

Thanks for posting those Jerry. Much appreciated. Let me help finish this off a bit as a kind board member, who wants to remain anonymous, sent me the soft copy of the booklet a while back. best regards.... (we have the other caramel booklet thread added to the archives now for future reference)

Old 01-06-2012, 09:18 AM

I had the same booklet years ago. That's how I kept track of what T206 cards I had & needed. Since there were no card holders back in the early 70's, I use to keep my T206 cards in small stamp envelopes that were just a little bigger than the T206 cards.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:34 AM
Bill Hedin

Default rumor or fact?

Many decades ago, I heard rumors that a Collins batting pose existed. If I recall the story, it was some type of proof card from this set.

Has anyone ever heard about this? I'm wondering if it actually exists or was a rumor or what!

Any input will be appreciated!

Thanks,
Bill

This book is great! Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-06-2012, 09:46 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh3443 View Post
Many decades ago, I heard rumors that a Collins batting pose existed. If I recall the story, it was some type of proof card from this set.

Has anyone ever heard about this? I'm wondering if it actually exists or was a rumor or what!

Any input will be appreciated!

Thanks,
Bill

This book is great! Thanks for sharing!
It's probably somewhere on Tim's site - I thought the Collins Batting was in UberDem's collection. There is a proof page there that contains scans grabbed from various sites (un-watermarked), as well as their own scans (watermarked to protect from unscrupulous people grabbing them), but I couldn't find Olberman's.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Clayton

Default Thanks !!!

Jerry (and Leon)-

Thanks for posting this- I really enjoy this stuff !! I'm always amazed at the detail.......I was also wondering about the T206 booklet that was refered to in the Gum issues Leon had posted- this makes sense now. Thanks again for posting this thread !!!

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 01-06-2012, 11:28 AM
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh3443 View Post

Hi Bill,

Yes, the Collins proof exists. We have an image of it on the site that was shared by the current owner as well as the back story behind the card.

The Olbermann Proofs

Tim
Old 01-06-2012, 02:43 PM
Bill Hedin

Default Thank You!

Thank you, gentlemen!
The story I heard way back is word for word what is printed!
Old 01-06-2012, 03:57 PM
Ted Zanidakis

I found this statement by Egan in his closing paragraph very interesting......

"This is not in itself uncommon, in fact a set issued with caramels during the same period claims a 100 to the set, but today 117
are known and a few more are found periodically."

I'm sure he is alluding to the E90-1 set of 120 subjects. Therefore, it is interesting that in 1966, three cards in this set were not
yet known.

My 1st guess is Tris Speaker as one of the unknowns. A 2nd could be Mike Mitchell. The 3rd could be any one of the following....
Duffy, Graham, Stahl, Sweeney, or Walsh.

TED Z
Old 01-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Great post-I had never heard of this before. The evolution of the pre-war checklists was almost glacial, this was 50+ years later and still there were gaps in E90-1.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:02 PM
Barry Arnold

Default dave h

great choice of words!
glacial---yes, absolutely

best,
barry
Old 01-06-2012, 09:03 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Default Scans Available

I have taken the staples out and rescanned the booklet. If you are interested, send me your email address and I will be happy to send the scanned booklet to you.

jgalleano@msn.com

Last edited by Jerry G; 01-06-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Frank Wakefield

Got 'em. Thank you, Jerry. And thank you for sharing this great resource with us.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:26 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry G View Post
I have taken the staples out and rescanned the booklet. If you are interested, send me your email address and I will be happy to send the scanned booklet to you.

jgalleano@msn.com
Hi Jerry, I sent you an email (I think( with my email, but haven't received anything.

Last edited by Runscott; 01-07-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:47 AM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Hi Jerry, I sent you an email (I think( with my email, but haven't received anything.
Sorry for the delay, Scott. I sent out a group last night, but held yours out because I wanted to add a personal note concerning your website. Then, I forgot and went to bed. Sorry, man. Poop happens.

Anyway, you should have it now. Hope you enjoy the booklet.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:39 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: T-206 CIGARETTE BASEBALL CARDS Booklet By Richard S. Egan Jan '66

Lew Lipset makes reference to the 117 different known subjects in his Encyclopedia. The "unknown" cards were Bemis, Keeler (red portrait) and Clarke-Pittsburgh. But in some of the bulletins that Leon has posted, one collector has the Bemis on his want list; so that subject at least, was known prior to 1966; just not to Mr. Egan or the British Cartophilic Society.

Last edited by edhans; 01-08-2012 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:59 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry G View Post
Sorry for the delay, Scott. I sent out a group last night, but held yours out because I wanted to add a personal note concerning your website. Then, I forgot and went to bed. Sorry, man. Poop happens.

Anyway, you should have it now. Hope you enjoy the booklet.
Jerry - thanks much! I have added it to my website, 1st page next to Cobb image.