NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-27-2013, 06:05 PM

I'm getting my T206 set out and gonna sign em all, surely someone will appreciate it 100 years from, I new I should have signed the back of the damn Wagner!
Old 06-27-2013, 07:11 PM
Kenny

These cards all belonged to Zach Wheat and were in his scrapbook. I also picked up this telegram that was with the cards. I love having Wheats own T206.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wheat cob.jpg (77.4 KB, 419 views)
File Type: jpg wheat cob back.jpg (78.4 KB, 420 views)
File Type: jpg wheat telegram.jpg (76.3 KB, 418 views)
Old 06-29-2013, 06:04 PM
Doug

Default Bright?

"I was unable to determine whether he was smoking in 1910 or whether he got the cards from his father, probably the latter as he was quite bright."

While it wasn't the smartest thing to do when I started smoking, I sure was cool when I was 15, and some folks still consider me quite bright...

and no not my mama, and certainly not my wife...

It is what it is...
Old 06-02-2014, 05:38 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Tisdel Update

My fellow board members,

Recently my Tisdel hoard of three was reduced to two after my benevolent trade of one my Tisdel stamps with another board member. A hoard of two just didn't seem right though and I have added the requisite third example to make my hoard, a certified hoard, according to the Directors Guild, which is actually just a hoard of directors looking for guidance.

The scan below once again demonstrates the vertical placement of the Tisdel stamp as seen in other posts in the thread. This time there is no accompanying Tisdel autograph though. Please note as well the soft black slab holder, given as a freebie in Chicago last year, which performs the following functions.

1. It obscures any frosting on the slab margins.

2. It makes the slab so thick that they become more difficult to store.

3. It allows you to throw your cards against the wall without risk of injury to the card, the slab or the wall.

4. If using your slab as a coaster, it will not slide off a table that is not level.

Is there anyone out there using these? Just wonderin'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Recently Updated1539.jpg (58.6 KB, 283 views)

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 06-02-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:58 AM
Joe

I have 20 F.F. Baker stamped T206's. I've told the history of the Baker stamp on here a few times. Unfortunately I cannot find it in search and am at work at the moment. I'll try to recall from memory. The family owned a grocery store at 1318 Mosby St. Richmond Va from the early 1900's. Frank was the son and was born circa 1900 (exact yr eludes me). Most of the T206's are Piedmont backs but I have 1 Old Mill and another collector has seen a Baker with an AB back. My imagination has me thinking young Frank hung around the grocery store grabbing cards from customers but likely a family member smoked Piedmont. I have a card with a Baker back and another stamp on it. Maybe it was traded to a buddy and he stamped it?
Old 06-02-2014, 09:32 AM
Daryl

Frank, I placed my PSA "graded" Babe Ruth Cracker Jack fantasy card (they were given out at the luncheon) in that "Otter Box for Slabs" in order to make the trip home but then never used it again. I doubt that many of those have been sold.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:01 PM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3s View Post

Best of all, one of the cards carries the signature of "Elias Beasley". Mr. Beasley was the original collector as a very young man. I purchased the cards from Mr. Beasley's grandson. During our negotiations for the cards, we talked a fair amount about the family and the story about how the cards were kept, owned, etc. I was very interested and wanted to find a way to preserve the collection (before some headed out to all corners of the earth) and document the provenance.
I just got this card, and much to my surprise found "Elias" on the back. Is this the same guy, Craig?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Elias.jpg (23.1 KB, 183 views)

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 07-03-2014, 03:20 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I've shown this in response to some other threads but seems to belong here too. This E80 was once the possession of Jefferson Burdick:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-03-2014, 03:34 PM
Dave

Great stories. It's cool to see some differnet history behind the cards.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:52 PM
A.J. Johnson

I love this story and the magic of the past, both in the history of the player on the cardboard but also the original owner. Very cool that he stamped his cards unknowingly allowing us to peek back in time at his life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
A T206 card caught my eye recently and began to tell me its story. I dug a little deeper and asked a few questions. The ownership thread of this card, I’m convinced, has been established. Provenance was the motivation for my purchase of the Rube Waddell portrait version of his T206 card. The card’s back has three features that are the key to establishing the history of this card:

A stamp with the name Nelson Tisdel
A signature of Nelson Tisdel
A signature of Gordon Soutter.

Nelson Tisdel stamps have been seen on more than a few T206 cards. Nelson was born around the turn of the century growing up in Missouri and was a young teenager when the T206 cards were produced. Other examples of Tisdel stamped T206 cards exist and some of them have been signed by him as well. I was unable to determine whether he was smoking in 1910 or whether he got the cards from his father, probably the latter as he was quite bright.

In 1920 he is pictured on the Phi Beta Kappa page of the University of Missouri yearbook (see below), where he received an AB degree. In 1922 he earned a MBA from Harvard and has a thesis recorded on “Capitalization” in the Harvard archives. In 1925 he was married and in 1933 he fathered a son Donald in 1933.

Donald Tisdel was a boyhood friend of Gordon Soutter and before 1945 Donald had received some of his father Nelson’s T206 cards including the Waddell card. A trade was made between the boys and the new owner thought it appropriate to sign the card as well to document the transfer of ownership. This trade was completed before Waddell’s election to the Hall of Fame in 1946, a good deal for Gordon one would think.

Donald passed away in 1981, but Gordon is still living with his wife, who recently listed the card on Ebay. I was curious to know if the seller was or knew Gordon Soutter. Mrs. Soutter was kind enough to confirm that Gordon was her husband and he confirmed the trading of cards with Donald.

Some research on Nelson Tisdel was hijacked from Tim Fritz on this board from a prior post on back stamps about a year ago. I was able to confirm the sites he found, basically the yearbook and wedding date. I was able to confirm Donald birth date from an obituary, and Nelson’s dissertation info from the Harvard Archives. Gordon and his wife confirmed the trade and the fact that he was the owner of the card from 1945 until today. Gordon’s Facebook page is consistent both in terms of his age and location, which is the same town from which they sent me the card, Bountiful, Utah.

I feel confident with this information and the fact that I am the first person to actually purchase this 100 + year old card, apart from the original cigarette purchase by young Nelson or his father. Like Mr. Fritz this card will occupy a special place in my collection with this provenance. What is the card worth (recent thread)? I have no idea, Leon, as I bought it with my heart and not my brain. Hopefully none of our experts will question the authenticity of the signatures. I only regret that I will not be able to keep it for 67 years like the prior owner, unless I find the Fountain of Youth. Perhaps someone will be able to purchase it in the future from one of my sons, who currently could care less about my collection.

A poor copy of the Tisdel Yearbook photo (Tisdel, upper right) is included as well as the text of Tim’s original post.

Other stories of provenance of vintage items hopefully will keep this thread alive. I think it would be worthwhile and interesting. Each card has its own story, if only more of them would talk.

Text for the 1920 U of Missouri Yearbook Page Photo:

SAVITAR
PHI BETA KAPPA
FOUNDED WILLIAM AND MARY COLLEGE DECEMBER 8, 1776
ALPHA OF MISSOURI CHAPTER FOUNDED 1901
FREDERICK M TISUEL PRESIDENT - ???? SECRETARY - GEORGE LEFEVRE VICE-PRESIDENT
CORWIN D EDWARDS (upper left), NELSON C TISDEL (upper right), ADA E BRAINARD (center), DWIGHT DONAN (lower left), BEN S ELY (lower right)

Sorry for the poor image

Fritz: original Tisdel post

I also have a T206 (Bender with trees) that has the Nelson Tisdel stamp on the back. Mine also has his sig on the back border and had been glued, but still had the backing on it. Got that off and was at first disappointed to find the stamp, but then googled the name.

Some info I found was someone with the same name came to the US with his family in the early 1900s (1906/7? - I've lost the geneaology web site link) and grew up in Missouri. Graduated from the University of Missouri in 1920 and married in 1925. Got most of that from a few google searches. There's a site that has his 1920 yearbook with class picture.

It's now my favorite T206 card. I picture a kid just coming to the US, learning about baseball and collecting T206 cards. I've seen others on ebay for sale over the years. I thought it was kinda fun to put a story together to go with the stamp. Might not be the same kid, but I'd rather not ruin my mind's picture of the story.