NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-03-2016, 07:40 PM
Dan Bl@u

Default Really, PWCC?

Shady.

I'm not a PWCC hater and I bid in their auctions, but I have to call shenanigans on this. I expect this from bottom-feeder eBay sellers, but was very surprised to see PWCC describe a "? AUTHTCT" card as "PSA AUTH" in both the listing title and item description.

Now, I understand their point that the card looks legit, and I agree that the card looks good, especially assuming that it came from the same collection as the dozens of other E cards of similar condition in the current auction. But don't tell us it's a "PSA AUTH" card when that's the opposite of what PSA determined. Yeesh.

Last edited by Bliggity; 09-03-2016 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:04 PM
Ben North

But they are confident it is real.

EDIT: Also kind of weird that the zoom option was disabled for that listing.

Last edited by bnorth; 09-03-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:10 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

I don't consider myself an expert on that particular set, but from what I can see the card looks real to me, FWIW. Grading companies are not infallible.

Last edited by yanksfan09; 09-03-2016 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:12 PM
J@ohn B.ar#ne.s

I"m guessing it was an error on their part. Why not send them an e-mail and let us know what transpires?
Old 09-03-2016, 08:15 PM
Dan Bl@u

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksfan09 View Post
I don't consider myself an expert on that particular set, but from what I can see the card looks real to me, FWIW. Grading companies are not infallible.
I agree, which gave me pause about the language in the listing. But then either send it back in or just list it raw and guarantee its authenticity.

Last edited by Bliggity; 09-03-2016 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:25 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Yes, I agree the title of the auction should be changed to better reflect the grade (non grade) status. From the auction title, you'd think it was graded Authentic.

Last edited by yanksfan09; 09-03-2016 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:33 PM
Dan Bl@u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastmode View Post
I"m guessing it was an error on their part. Why not send them an e-mail and let us know what transpires?
Done. Will update when I get a response.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:33 AM
Robert Williams

Card looks real to me also. PSA blew it. I guess PWCC just wanted to be as transparent as possible.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:38 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Card looks real to me also. PSA blew it. I guess PWCC just wanted to be as transparent as possible.
If they are being so transparent why is the zoom option disabled on this auction but is not on their other listings. That has to be done on purpose.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:47 AM
Dan Bl@u

They're not being transparent. Yes, they showed the flip, but they're clearly saying that PSA deemed it authentic, when that's not true. I agree that maybe it was a mistake. They haven't answered my inquiry yet.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:49 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

To me it looks like they are showing PSA said it wasn't authentic with the "?", by showing the flip, and they are saying it is authentic. But yes they could have been more clear on the title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliggity View Post
They're not being transparent. Yes, they showed the flip, but they're clearly saying that PSA deemed it authentic, when that's not true. I agree that maybe it was a mistake. They haven't answered my inquiry yet.

Last edited by Leon; 09-04-2016 at 06:50 AM.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:37 AM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

Hi,

I was interested in this card, but definitely not any more. I think the wording on this card is 'intentionally clever'.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-11-T206...cAAOSwMtxXwixY

What the hell is a "small paper pull"? What does that even mean? If you have a big card like this, would you want to give a better explanation of the problem. You can't zoom in far enough to really see what is going on.

Is this one with a large paper pull?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T206-Miller-...gAAOSw3xJVcOcY

Phillip Abbott

Last edited by PhillipAbbott79; 09-04-2016 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:48 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I sent a message to the seller, explaining the difference between 'PSA AUTH' that they have in the item title (which is PSA stating that they recognize the authenticity of the card) and '? AUTHTCT' which is on the label (and means PSA states the card is of questionable authenticity), and asked that they either correct the title or, failing that (since there have already been bids placed), withdraw the listing.

We will see if they respond.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 09-04-2016 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:40 AM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipAbbott79 View Post
Hi,

I was interested in this card, but definitely not any more. I think the wording on this card is 'intentionally clever'.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-11-T206...cAAOSwMtxXwixY

What the hell is a "small paper pull"? What does that even mean? If you have a big card like this, would you want to give a better explanation of the problem. You can't zoom in far enough to really see what is going on.

Is this one with a large paper pull?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T206-Miller-...gAAOSw3xJVcOcY

Phillip Abbott
I had some interest in this card until examination revealed those " lines" adjacent to his chin and the " paper pull" on the back. That's paper loss. Its a nice card but WAY over graded.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:04 AM
J@ohn B.ar#ne.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by hieroglyphics View Post
I sent a message to the seller, explaining the difference between 'PSA AUTH' that they have in the item title (which is PSA stating that they recognize the authenticity of the card) and '? AUTHTCT' which is on the label (and means PSA states the card is of questionable authenticity), and asked that they either correct the title or, failing that (since there have already been bids placed), withdraw the listing.

We will see if they respond.

I don't buy questionable "?" authentic cards, but holy crap, can't PSA be more clear in the flip. the have the word "authentic" in the flip for frick sake. Really? That's just plain dumb. And the the question mark "?" before the word "authentic" is suppose to be a prefix?

Note to PSA, just say "unknown origination" and lose the word "authentic" in the flip. Stop with the hieroglyphics.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:25 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I wish all grading companies would just call them what they are, a reprint. Whether it's authorized or not, if it is made much, much later, not from the original mfg, and isn't real it is a reprint. That would look good on the labels..

Quote:
I don't buy questionable "?" authentic cards, but holy crap, can't PSA be more clear in the flip. the have the word "authentic" in the flip for frick sake. Really? That's just plain dumb. And the the question mark "?" before the word "authentic" is suppose to be a prefix?

Note to PSA, just say "unknown origination" and lose the word "authentic" in the flip. Stop with the hieroglyphics.

Last edited by Leon; 09-04-2016 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:56 PM
PWCC Marketplace

Default PWCC follow up

Thanks to the board for flagging this. The title of this listing is indeed misleading and was a sloppy oversight on our part.

We are going to end the listing.

Brent Huigens
PWCC Auctions,LLC
Old 09-04-2016, 01:58 PM
pete ullman

all of this hullabaloo for a $100 card.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:59 PM
ThreadKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Huigens View Post
Thanks to the board for flagging this. The title of this listing is indeed misleading and was a sloppy oversight on our part.

Brent Huigens
PWCC Auctions,LLC
well-done.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:00 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Huigens View Post

Brent Huigens
PWCC Auctions,LLC
Hey Brent, thanks for the follow-up.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:43 PM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

I would love to see the Cobb listed as missing paper which means it is roughly a PSA 2, and not a PSA 6, instead of the clever wording that is in place, to get people to bid as if it was a PSA 6.

Phil
Old 09-05-2016, 10:34 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

But it IS a PSA 6! Even with the light scuffing on back, which PWCC called our attention to, it's still a 6! That's a major over-grade by their own standards or even by SGC's grading standards. You would think since it is Cobb, that it would be more strictly graded, but sheesh . . . I guess not.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:54 PM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

The problem is not that it is in a 6 slab. It is that they use the wording 'paper pull' to describe paper 'loss'.

You can go onto Ebay and buy the winning McDonald's boardwalk game board game piece. You get a cut out of the game board. Same thing here. It is intentionally worded tricky to get maximum dollar for a card that does not deserve it. When was the last time you heard any paper loss called a 'pull'

Its intentionally worded too lighten the blow of the word 'paper loss' and help hide the fact the fact it is highly over graded. Additionally, I am sort of shocked that he would come here to address a problem, and leave this one, unattended.

Nothing like drawing the clock down on it. I know I am new here, but seriously. Leaving this unanswered is shameful at a minimum.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:55 AM
je.sse @rnot

I think that assessment is a little harsh. PWCC didn't grade the card, and it certainly wouldn't be good for business to post a description saying something like "this card is way over graded." If that was your consignment I don't think you would appreciate it.

I have seen many auction houses use creative wording that makes flaws sound less severe than they are. Or not mention them at all. At least he drew some attention to it. It's up to the bidders to decide if it's worth PSA 6 money or not. It looks like at least a few bidders have decided it is.

I do prefer this description to one with three paragraphs about the history of t206 cards and a sentence or two about the actual card.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:47 AM
Marty Pritchard

Quote:

I do not have any problem with what PSA put on the flip. Authentic cards are slabbed and have a flip that states such. This sleeve is not intended to be sold with whatever card someone chooses to put with it. The card was not sealed in so there is no proof that this reprint was even the reprint that was sent in. PSA is not stating that it is a reprint, just that it is their opinion that the card is not original. They could be mistaken. I have had SGC return cards to me because they did not think that they were real and then slab them later when I pointed out what why the card was what I said that it was on the sub.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:18 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
The problem is not that it is in a 6 slab. It is that they use the wording 'paper pull' to describe paper 'loss'.

You can go onto Ebay and buy the winning McDonald's boardwalk game board game piece. You get a cut out of the game board. Same thing here. It is intentionally worded tricky to get maximum dollar for a card that does not deserve it. When was the last time you heard any paper loss called a 'pull'

Its intentionally worded too lighten the blow of the word 'paper loss' and help hide the fact the fact it is highly over graded. Additionally, I am sort of shocked that he would come here to address a problem, and leave this one, unattended.

Nothing like drawing the clock down on it. I know I am new here, but seriously. Leaving this unanswered is shameful at a minimum.
The other problem was brought to his attention directly. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess Brent doesn't always have time to monitor these boards looking for issues people may have with his listings.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 09-06-2016, 06:28 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I politely disagree.
If any TPG knows something isn't real they should state it. They shouldn't leave something like "? AUT" on the flip. It can be interpreted different ways. They should know this by now. And the "reprint" designation should be reserved for ones they are sure of. If they aren't sure then they should say "Not sure" ..... I would respect them more for that then what they do now. BTW, Beastmode and I feel the same way....

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
I do not have any problem with what PSA put on the flip. Authentic cards are slabbed and have a flip that states such. This sleeve is not intended to be sold with whatever card someone chooses to put with it. The card was not sealed in so there is no proof that this reprint was even the reprint that was sent in. PSA is not stating that it is a reprint, just that it is their opinion that the card is not original. They could be mistaken. I have had SGC return cards to me because they did not think that they were real and then slab them later when I pointed out what why the card was what I said that it was on the sub.

Last edited by Leon; 09-06-2016 at 06:29 AM.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:19 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I politely disagree.
If any TPG knows something isn't real they should state it. They shouldn't leave something like "? AUT" on the flip. It can be interpreted different ways. They should know this by now. And the "reprint" designation should be reserved for ones they are sure of. If they aren't sure then they should say "Not sure" ..... I would respect them more for that then what they do now. BTW, Beastmode and I feel the same way....
I agree with you, Leon. And this has been discussed before. It's nothing new...

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=221667

This is all the fault of PSA. They either lack the balls or intelligence to label a card for what it really is - a reprint, counterfeit, fake (or whatever term you want to use to describe it). Look at the Wagner (first post in the link just above). Why not just label it for what it is? Why call it questionable authenticity? There is nothing questionable about it. The term 'questionable' leaves room for hope. Keep drinking that PSA Kool Aid, guys!

As for Brent's listing, I saw the card and I believe it's absolutely authentic.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:09 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I assume PSA leaves it vague on advice of their lawyers because they want to skirt a potential lawsuit and avoid having the curtain pulled back on the man behind the screen pulling the levers. To me saying "authenticity questioned" is probably as much as they can say in a lot of cases, even where they strongly suspect fraud.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:31 AM
Jason S!m@nds

I think there is a way to be vague about the questionable authenticity and prevent scam artists from abusing the PSA brand.

Buyers mistake "?AUTH" as "there is a possibility that this is authentic" when this isn't the case. PSA should either return the card without a flip (like BVG) or issue a flip that adds no value to a counterfeit card.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:50 AM
Robert Williams

PSA labeled the card "? AUT" which is shorthand for "Questionable Authenticity". That is a polite way of saying that the card is a 'fake'. That being said, I strongly believe PSA blew it, just like Brent thought. The card appears to be the real deal, and would likely be reholdered properly upon a return trip to PSA, or even SGC for that matter. Case closed.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:59 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
That is a polite way of saying that the card is a 'fake'.
There are other polite ways of saying it though that don't leave room for hope. To me, the term 'questionable' leaves room for hope in the mind of the buyer. If you look at a PSA/DNA rejection letter it states, "After a thorough examination of your item we regret to report your item did not pass PSA/DNA authentication." Pretty clear to me. So, if they're going to issue a flip with a card that doesn't pass authentication, why not just put "Did Not Pass Authentication" on the flip?
Old 09-06-2016, 12:34 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
There are other polite ways of saying it though that don't leave room for hope. To me, the term 'questionable' leaves room for hope in the mind of the buyer. If you look at a PSA/DNA rejection letter it states, "After a thorough examination of your item we regret to report your item did not pass PSA/DNA authentication." Pretty clear to me. So, if they're going to issue a flip with a card that doesn't pass authentication, why not just put "Did Not Pass Authentication" on the flip?
Entirely too long. Their computer program can't handle all those characters.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:37 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

DNP Auth?

Did Not Pass Authentication
Old 09-06-2016, 12:39 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
Entirely too long. Their computer program can't handle all those characters.
The problem is that a ?AUTH flip also has the card information included.

If a counterfeit 1952 Topps Mantle is submitted the flip reads: "1952 Topps # 311 Mickey Mantle ?AUTH"

It's confusing to the casual collector and misleading to more experienced collectors. It should just read "Not deemed Authentic" instead of the card year/player name/number. A serial number can still be issued that links the cert lookup to a general explanation of what "Not deemed Authentic" means.

Last edited by jhs5120; 09-06-2016 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:43 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs5120 View Post
I think there is a way to be vague about the questionable authenticity and prevent scam artists from abusing the PSA brand.

Buyers mistake "?AUTH" as "there is a possibility that this is authentic" when this isn't the case. PSA should either return the card without a flip (like BVG) or issue a flip that adds no value to a counterfeit card.
Um, a LOT of people on this board think that it is indeed the case in this instance.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 09-06-2016, 05:26 PM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I think that assessment is a little harsh. PWCC didn't grade the card, and it certainly wouldn't be good for business to post a description saying something like "this card is way over graded." If that was your consignment I don't think you would appreciate it.

I have seen many auction houses use creative wording that makes flaws sound less severe than they are. Or not mention them at all. At least he drew some attention to it. It's up to the bidders to decide if it's worth PSA 6 money or not. It looks like at least a few bidders have decided it is.

I do prefer this description to one with three paragraphs about the history of t206 cards and a sentence or two about the actual card.

I have been reading the board for a little while before having this be my first few posts.

I don't think its a matter of whether or not I would "like it" if it were my card. I would expect the same thing to happen to me, or anyone else if they submitted a card like this with this problem. I have been reading threads here about honesty, integrity, and calling attention to problems without shading the situation for good or bad.

Here is, without a doubt, a perfect example of it. You have a high dollar, big name player in a fantastic shape and tough grade to get, being sold in a case does not hold par for its grade on it, and being sold by a company who a lot of people here don't revere as a solid seller for doing enough to protect their auction buyers from fraud......and tricky wording is "harsh"?

Then, on top of that, in this thread, the problem is mentioned by me(regardless of specifically brought to his attention or not), he joins the board to comment on the thread, and skips right over it without addressing it??

"Seriously" is right.
Phil
Old 09-06-2016, 06:37 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
I have been reading the board for a little while before having this be my first few posts.

I don't think its a matter of whether or not I would "like it" if it were my card. I would expect the same thing to happen to me, or anyone else if they submitted a card like this with this problem. I have been reading threads here about honesty, integrity, and calling attention to problems without shading the situation for good or bad.

Here is, without a doubt, a perfect example of it. You have a high dollar, big name player in a fantastic shape and tough grade to get, being sold in a case does not hold par for its grade on it, and being sold by a company who a lot of people here don't revere as a solid seller for doing enough to protect their auction buyers from fraud......and tricky wording is "harsh"?

Then, on top of that, in this thread, the problem is mentioned by me(regardless of specifically brought to his attention or not), he joins the board to comment on the thread, and skips right over it without addressing it??

"Seriously" is right.
Phil
I meant your statement that his lack of a response to your question was "shameful at a minimum" was a little harsh. If you'll re-read the thread you'll notice he responded before you made your comment. He only did so because a couple of us emailed him directly to notify him about the PSA Auth listing and this thread. Chances are he hasn't even seen your comment. If you feel the wording of the Cobb listing is a problem email him, or give him a call and see what he says. His phone number and email address is listed on the pwcc website.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 09-06-2016 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:49 PM
J@ohn B.ar#ne.s

Quote:

"Seriously" is right.
Phil
With all due respect Phil, this thread was about an "?authentic" card. You piped in somewhere along the way about a card being misrepresented, asking for an explanation from Brent. You have a worthy complaint, but it's not Brent's job to hold conversations on net54.

I think you should write to PWCC direct, and if you don't like the explanation, start another thread about "linguistic embellishment"; which seems to be the soup du jour with ALL auctions houses and e-bay sellers these days. Remember, they're all selling-whores, trying to get the best price for their clients while straddling the line of descriptive exuberance.

Last edited by Beastmode; 09-06-2016 at 08:50 PM.