NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-21-2018, 04:35 PM
Brad Pencil

No sales tax is what it is. But just add a rough 10% puts you in the ballpark. I’m talking Heritage shows you what your bid is and what the cost is with BP before you even confirm the bid.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:41 PM
Peirce Conboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencil1974 View Post
No sales tax is what it is. But just add a rough 10% puts you in the ballpark. I’m talking Heritage shows you what your bid is and what the cost is with BP before you even confirm the bid.
So that BP number can be off by as much as 10% and you are lost on how someone could be confused when they see that difference on their invoice?
Old 04-21-2018, 04:44 PM
Brad Pencil

I guess your right if you know nothing about simple math then yes I can see where you would be confused.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:45 PM
Eric

A big part of that also goes to pensions of people who bust their asses daily for years doing sometimes awful work so the rest of us don't have to. And often for much less than they could make in the private sector (police, fire, emergency medical techs, etc.). I get your point, but please don't over generalize.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:03 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowadoc77 View Post
Also a good point, but how well tax money is used has potential to rival Frank’s monster thread!
The monster thread has generated a lack luster zero in tax revenue. Come on guys, pay up. After all, Net54 is a staunch defender of postworthy members, auction houses from Saco River to Dothan, hefty buyers premiums, exorbitant shipping costs for containers unable to withstand a nuclear blast and extortion of all types related to cardboard transactions. Yes, Net54 is the home of the cardboard bigboys. Pay the piper, or get piped.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:24 PM
Eric
Eric

I think I’ll pay the piper before getting piped. Yikes. That sounds scary Frank!
Old 04-21-2018, 05:38 PM
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
The only issue I have is people who do not have to pay sales tax have a nearly one increment advantage over those who do. Since I live in NY, where sales tax is I believe 8.875%, I can't tell you how many lots I lose in Heritage by a single bid. I am the first underbiddder on a regular basis. So if the person who beat me lives in a state with no sales tax, he has a big advantage.

That said, it's the law and it is transparent. It just adds an extra hurdle for me to overcome, and can be frustrating.
But that is only if AH is in your home state; for me I pay the PA people an extra 6%. So we have the same hurdle just with different AH's.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:51 PM
pete ullman

I feel like I got a little pipe .
Old 04-21-2018, 06:09 PM
Guy Bourque

You guys have it good !!
I live In Montreal Canada , here's what I have to calculate on a $1000 purchase + 20% BF= $1200 + $50 Shipping = $1250 + exchange Rate 30% = $375 =$1625 in Canadiens money + Duty about $150=$1775 Canadien.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:11 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgconboy View Post
You got 0 sales tax and free shipping? Where do you live?
He lives in the bizarro anti-geico land of misfits who get off on paying more.

Misfit #1: Did you pay more?

Misfit #2: Yeah Broheim, I paid more.

Misfit #1: 20% more Brofessor?

Misfit #2: Yeah...and that's not all Brotato chip. I paid ridiculous shipping.

Misfit #1: Wow...Thats a lot more Brotein shake.

Misfit #2: Oh yeah....I'm all about more Teddy Brosevelt.

https://youtu.be/BHpRk4Vh0VY

image host

Last edited by Fballguy; 04-21-2018 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:19 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I feel like I got a little pipe .
LOL...Wield it like you have a big one. Wait, what....
Old 04-21-2018, 06:23 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
LOL...Wield it like you have a big one. Wait, what....
Ha... I meant to say I took a little!
Old 04-21-2018, 07:25 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Honestly, if you can't figure out how much you will owe if you win something in an auction then you really shouldn't be bidding in the auction to begin with. And if you do bid and win, don't complain that you got screwed when the auction house clearly explains the fees in the rules. Am I missing something here or is it really this simple?

AndyH

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 04-21-2018, 08:13 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Actually....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
I regularly compare sale prices between eBay and auction house results and I'm amazed at how much people over pay for items in auction. I was watching some complete sets in a few recent auctions and lost interest when I realized I could get the sets much cheaper on eBay. It's like some people don't know eBay exists...or think they can only get a good item if they pay through the nose for it.
Your experience not withstanding - I buy A LOT from both ebay and auction houses and there are plenty of "better deals" I have gotten from auction houses and plenty of incredibly higher than market prices I have seen on ebay - neither always the case, but truly a mix - even after all AH fees
Old 04-21-2018, 08:38 PM
Ben Silva
Ben Sil.va

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Might be time to get a po box in a state with no tax.
Or get a resellers license. That's how I get out of paying sales tax. As far as people asking about seller's fees, I've always been able to negotiate negative rates (ie the auction houses pay me a percentage over hammer). However, I typically consign $10k+ at a time.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:48 PM
Ben Silva
Ben Sil.va

Oh, and I factor in shipping and premiums on all my bids. I have a spreadsheet that tracks it since each house has different rules.

I've won tons of stuff through heritage. I love those guys, their auctions are always fun. A lot of it runs past my budget pretty quick, but it's still fun to try!
Old 04-21-2018, 09:06 PM
Frank Evanov

Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
Honestly, if you can't figure out how much you will owe if you win something in an auction then you really shouldn't be bidding in the auction to begin with. And if you do bid and win, don't complain that you got screwed when the auction house clearly explains the fees in the rules. Am I missing something here or is it really this simple?

AndyH
Andy is spot on. Bid responsibly!
Old 04-21-2018, 09:11 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensie View Post
Or get a resellers license. That's how I get out of paying sales tax. As far as people asking about seller's fees, I've always been able to negotiate negative rates (ie the auction houses pay me a percentage over hammer). However, I typically consign $10k+ at a time.
I'm sure yours is the typical experience.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:55 PM
Ben Silva
Ben Sil.va

Quote:
I'm sure yours is the typical experience.
Hey man, y'all asked. I'm giving you an actual data point. Take it for what it's worth. I know Sirius publishes negative rates too. Go check their website

Last edited by bensie; 04-21-2018 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:35 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanip View Post
Getting off topic but I wish that was the case. A big portion of what we pay go to pensions of those who are “clocking in” their city jobs and not adding any value besides calculating how big their pension will be in 5 years.
Try 4%, hardly "a big portion".

https://protectpensions.org/2016/04/...blic-pensions/
Old 04-22-2018, 04:01 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
I regularly compare sale prices between eBay and auction house results and I'm amazed at how much people over pay for items in auction. I was watching some complete sets in a few recent auctions and lost interest when I realized I could get the sets much cheaper on eBay. It's like some people don't know eBay exists...or think they can only get a good item if they pay through the nose for it.
Ebay is also a scammers paradise. Obviously, there are many honest and ethical sellers (and buyers) on eBay, but the chances of getting outright scammed by a reputable auction house is pretty small, compared to the numbers of outright scammers that operate with impunity on eBay,
Old 04-22-2018, 07:29 AM
St@n Go.len

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
Ebay is also a scammers paradise. Obviously, there are many honest and ethical sellers (and buyers) on eBay, but the chances of getting outright scammed by a reputable auction house is pretty small, compared to the numbers of outright scammers that operate with impunity on eBay,
Yeah but they are ez to spot, we make fun if them all the time here..and ebay does have buyer protection which has helped before.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2018, 08:55 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

This is one of the dumbest arguments I’ve ever seen on N54 and that is saying something.

To everyone bitching about sales taxes: you aren’t being victimized or disadvantaged as compared to others. Everyone is supposed to pay either sales tax the AH or seller collects or use tax that you the buyer remit. It is strictly a timing issue. If your state has sales tax and you don’t pay either sales or use tax you are just a tax cheat.

As for BP, lots of dumb to go around. First, how do you think an AH gets paid? Commissions or BP. It is the same either way, just a question of methodology. You see BP but not commission. Second, even if you find it intellectually challenging to add 20% to your bid, which most people did not, Heritage actually shows the BP in every listing as you bid. Third, if you think you don’t pay on eBay you need to read a bit. Roughly speaking eBay charges 10% and PayPal another 3% on the final price and the shipping. You don’t notice it because it isn’t on the page but you pay it: many sellers set the BIN or opening bid accordingly. Finally, this isn’t a liberal snowflake issue, it is math. Basic algebra any kid in 6th grade learns. Which is one of the things sales taxes fund. So pay your taxes and stop whining and freeloading.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-22-2018 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:26 AM
James
James Kin.chen

Maybe people that buy most of their cards on eBay shouldn't be bidding at these auction houses.
James
Old 04-22-2018, 09:30 AM
St@n Go.len

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkheat View Post
Maybe people that buy most of their cards on eBay shouldn't be bidding at these auction houses.
James
Thank you mr pompous.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2018, 09:35 AM
je.sse @rnot

Adam I agree the main issue of this thread, the OP's complaint, is one of the most ridiculous I have ever seen on this board. Right up there with the guy who returned 4 cards to an Ebay seller then complained about getting blocked by that same seller.

As for the sales tax issue it's a valid one. I live in CA, and an hit with a 9% sales tax. That's an extra bid I have to factor in that those in states with no sales tax, or a resale license don't. There have been plenty of auctions I have passed on that one more bid might have won, but would have pushed the price just past what I'm willing to pay.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 04-22-2018 at 09:37 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:35 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
Been on eBay since 1998-99, literally thousands of transactions and maybe 2-3 that went badly. That's 3 in about 20 years.

Six transactions with auction houses and 3 went badly. That's 3 in about a year.

If you get scammed on eBay, 99% of the time it's shame on you.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:44 AM
Peirce Conboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkheat View Post
James
What's with the spiteful gatekeeper viewpoint?
Every major market lets you see final prices before purchasing.
Has anyone bought something on Amazon and then got confused on the final price? No. Because they show you the pre-checkout price.

I can't think of any reason why online auction houses can't use user information to display sales tax and shipping price in addition to the buyers premium.
That seems a lot more helpful and productive long term then dismissing any fellow collector that primarily uses ebay.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:41 PM
John P
Joh.n Per.rotta

Default Buyers Premium

When bidding on items from an auction house I always figure in the buyers premium before entering my high bid . I'm never shocked when I get my invoice as I already know there is a buyers premium included in the final price.
It is no different than when I go out to dinner. I know that I will have to add 20% tip on top of my bill. I don't ever leave a restaurant feeling abused as I
Know the tip is will always be included in the service. Ridiculous argument here.
If you don't like the 20% buyers fee don't bid on an auction item. If you don't like adding a 20% tip don't do out to eat. Just my 2 cents.

Regards
John P
Old 04-22-2018, 06:36 PM

A couple of years ago I won an auction from Heritage and was surprised about the sales tax added to the invoice. I had bid with the assumption there would be no sales tax since I don't live in Texas. I then found out that because they had offices in multiple states, including the one I live in, I was subject to be charged sales tax. Of course with a little digging I could have known this, but it definitely was not obvious.

Like a reasonable person I have since altered my bidding with Heritage with this knowledge in mind. Perhaps the OP was, like me, unaware of this multiple office situation. Still, when it comes down to it you just have to adjust your strategies. I guess one strategy is just not bidding...but it seems pointless to complain about something that can't be changed.

Brian