NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 03-25-2018, 06:32 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Default 1980s Stars: What is high grade enough?

Recently, I have returned to my 80s roots (I was born in 1973), and I am really enjoying myself. I have purchased several sets, which I have carefully placed into pages inside of binders. It is so much fun seeing the guys that I grew up cheering for and against! In addition to the many sets I have purchased and hope to purchase later on, I would like to buy some high-end examples of some of my very favorite cards/players of the 80s.

On another forum I read through a very enjoyable thread about the high grade 80s star cards some collectors there were buying. There seemed to be a great deal of pride in the plethora of PSA 10s being flashed about. There were also a smattering of 9s and few 8s. I looked on ebay to see the potential prices I might be paying for some cards I want. For the most part, I have not been a "grading guy" but think it might be fun to pick up a few graded cards of my 80s heroes in this case. It seems to me that it just isn't worth the premium that many 10s carry. For example, on one card I was looking at from 1984, the 10 was $449, and the 9 was $49. Another 10 was $249 while the 9 was $29 I think. I have collected a long time, but I can't tell the difference. Am I missing something?
Old 03-26-2018, 05:25 AM
Arthur R!ch

If you have no desire for your collection to appreciate in value, you should be perfectly happy with PSA 9s for the 1980s cards. In most cases, there's enough supply of PSA 10s to satiate demand. In 99.999% of cases, there's a gargantuan excess in supply of PSA 9s.

Arthur

Successful transactions with Burger King, Amazon, Great Cuts, Tacos Villa Corona, TJ Maxx
Old 03-26-2018, 06:23 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

I hear what you are saying. This is primarily just enjoyment for me. My cards in the 80s sets have been carefully placed into new binders and pages by me. For the most part, all of the cards are NM or better, probably not the super duper PSA high grade stuff. I enjoy them and enjoy looking through them and reliving my childhood. ...LOL! I am thinking of picking up some of my very favorites in PSA high grade though, just for kicks. Though I wonder how many 10s were 9s until resubmitted multiple and how many 10s on ebay could earn the vaunted 10 again? It is a funny, funny game being played these days. I do have a hard time philosophically paying big 10 $ for cards that supposedly require a microscope to see differences.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2018, 09:39 AM
Peter Spaeth

With the modern rookies I want, for the most part, if a 10 is say $100 or under I would buy the 10, otherwise a 9 is fine or for some 80s cards even a nice 8. I don't think any of it is a great investment though.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:51 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Good rule of thumb, Peter. Thank you.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:26 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I don't bother with the graded thing at all. I just look for clean, clear, well-centered raw cards. I've seen lovely 8s and 7s I would be happy to own.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 03-26-2018, 02:52 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

More and more, I have adopted this approach. Like I mentioned in the OP, I have purchased several nice NMish 80s sets lately and placed them all carefully in new binders and pages. I might have a little upgrading to do here and there, but the sets are raw and solid.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2018, 07:41 PM
D@le Irv*n

I have struggled with this question/dilema myself concerning a or a few 1952 Topps cards.
Most of my cards in my link below are in the 2-4 range with maybe a few 5's thrown in?

That is the range I mostly collect in mainly due to the fact that is the range I received my cards from my Father.

With that being said, however, I do desire a 7 or 8, and possibly a 9 (a 10 would be way to expensive/unaffordable for me for any player from that set) just to have one.

My fear is, once I do obtain one, I will be bitten and will spend way too much money trying to obtain more.